Pitt defense

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Pitt's defense is currently ranked 4th in the nation overall only giving up 280.4 yards a game.

Will be a good test for our offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Raw stats like Pitt's D, but footballoutsiders ranks their D at #64. It ranks their O at #15.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we match up well with Pitt. I think you will see a similar game as the Miami game. I Have watched several of there games and as long as we don't turn the ball over its a game we should control.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think we match up well with Pitt. I think you will see a similar game as the Miami game. I Have watched several of there games and as long as we don't turn the ball over its a game we should control.
Can we play a game like the Miami game without Laskey? That will be the biggest question to me going into the game.

The 2nd biggest question will be, "Can our defense improve"? I think our defense matches up better with Pitt than Duke/UNC. I actually think we can stop the run better than the pass when a team is more traditional run than pass. But, I've been wrong a few times before.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Can we play a game like the Miami game without Laskey? That will be the biggest question to me going into the game.

The 2nd biggest question will be, "Can our defense improve"? I think our defense matches up better with Pitt than Duke/UNC. I actually think we can stop the run better than the pass when a team is more traditional run than pass. But, I've been wrong a few times before.
Where are all the dudes who've been calling all season for Synjyn to play more? Well now's his chance and now's your chance to see if your support is well placed.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly I will be surprised if we don't win this game by 10-11 points or so....

After watching Pitt play twice this year and watching us play 7 times this year I'd be pretty nervous if I was Pitt. If I were a Pitt fan I would be asking how we are going to score enough to beat GT...and would be hard pressed to find a logical answer.

Both teams look pretty good but we seem to have the overall speed advantage and usually do well when the strength of an opponent is a "featured" back or receiver.

Bring it on and let's find out... my money is on us.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i agree Vamos, i think we can better handle a traditional offense than a spread option, which kinda flys in the face of the negative recruiting claims against our defense

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Like DCS gets at: can Days handle the rock 20+ times a game?

I don't know what Pitt runs, but it would be great if we could focus on JT keeping the ball: double options to the outside, QB Follows, QB Counters, Sprint passes with a QB run option, and so on.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Dont worry about stats since you dont know what they are playing other team wise,but think they will have hard time with the flex bone.Yes they do well with the old power plays but flex is diffreent.......if they dont have backer speed they are toast.of course if we dont play denfense better we are toast also.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Like DCS gets at: can Days handle the rock 20+ times a game?

I don't know what Pitt runs, but it would be great if we could focus on JT keeping the ball: double options to the outside, QB Follows, QB Counters, Sprint passes with a QB run option, and so on.

Confident 10 can physically handle getting the rock 20+ times... he is more than physically capable. The only potential concern will be ball security. Remember that was a concern early when he was QB.

Bet ball security is already being blasted into his head by the coaches... Pitt D doesn't look as fast as some but they are very physical and you can bet they will be testing his ability to hold the ball while fighting for extra yards. I know Zack had a bad fumble against Duke but that cat has been outstanding getting extra yards AND holding the ball. That and his blocking, particularly for JT on follows can be easily overlooked. Zack is a straight hoss.

Overall feel very confident with 10 in there... just wrap those arms around the ball and love it like a small child buddy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I also think we match up better with these guys then with Puke or UNC. That thing they have at RB will get his yards if he is on the field long enough, but a Miami-type game will put paid to that.

I agree that the real question is whether Days can be a decent replacement for Laskey. My guess: they'll pull out to stops to shut him down early in the hope of disrupting our O rhythm and making him more hesitant on the dive. That won't work if we continue to get good edge blocking. That, I think, will mean more playing time for Perkins and Hill and, probably, more throwing. Ick.

But that's why we play the games. Hope the breaks - which have been going against us recently - even up against Pitt.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I see it this way.....Pitt will try to do the Cane thing on us when we have the ball.They must stop Laskey or suffer deep cuts and slashes.Now if they have linebackers who can get off block and move well laterally then........we may have problems. So far this year the guys we played could only do one thing either take away the dive or sell out for the pitch.......we should do well here since Pitt usually gets beef and little speed.