Paul Johnson's job

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ is completely safe until after the 2017 season - no reason to talk about that at all.
His buyout is that he is payed the full value of his remaining contract if he is fired before the end of 2017. After the end of the 2017 season it is $1MM for each year remaining on the contract. So after the end of the 2017 season GT would owe CPJ $3MM (contract runs through 2020).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Who are you referring to AE87?

After georgie scored with a seconds left in game, @Milwaukee quoted my post where I was laughing at ut's score at georgie's expense, clearly happy that georgie scored to go ahead.

My next post of TD was georgie losing.

So, were you bothered by my earlier post referring to sidewalk fans?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sidewalk fan here. I like PJ. I like his offense. Strategy was good today, but once again, the blocking failed at critical times. I think there's a common denominator for our losses, and it's the O-line. Those kids are talented, but poorly coached. Time to cut the chord on Sewak? Hope PJ does before it's too late. He really does things the right way.

I'd love to see Roof get a little more exotic and aggressive with blitzes, but I don't see it happening.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I made a similar post last week that I think PJ gets 2017 with a new AD. His contract drops significantly after 2017 and Stansbury will have had an entire year to evaluate the program. I think the offense needs to be tweaked primarily because the college game is now set up for the passing game. The blocking rules (crack backs, chop blocks) and the way holding is no longer called allows an advantage to passing offenses. These changes have evolved since PJ has been at GT and he hasn't. I think his somewhat abrasive personality does him no favors either. He certainly is not a big time recruiter and probably doesn't like that part of his job. I went to the UVA-Duke game today. If we can't beat both of them then he should be fired this year, neither has a run game. UVA throws the long ball and Duke dinks little 5 to 10 yard passes. It was Duke homecoming and maybe there were 20K at the game. Is that what we are coming to?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I made a similar post last week that I think PJ gets 2017 with a new AD. His contract drops significantly after 2017 and Stansbury will have had an entire year to evaluate the program. I think the offense needs to be tweaked primarily because the college game is now set up for the passing game. The blocking rules (crack backs, chop blocks) and the way holding is no longer called allows an advantage to passing offenses. These changes have evolved since PJ has been at GT and he hasn't. I think his somewhat abrasive personality does him no favors either. He certainly is not a big time recruiter and probably doesn't like that part of his job. I went to the UVA-Duke game today. If we can't beat both of them then he should be fired this year, neither has a run game. UVA throws the long ball and Duke dinks little 5 to 10 yard passes. It was Duke homecoming and maybe there were 20K at the game. Is that what we are coming to?
Only if we start passing all of the time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Very much. That is one of the reasons uga has the amount of fans they have.

OK then. I thought I was being supportive of your experience. I know I would be less patient as a fan if I wasn't an alum.

Fwiw, @Coachbraun72 has had two sons recruited D1 and signed at GT. He's also a HS coach iiuc so his words about recruiting challenges should be heeded.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
CPJ is completely safe until after the 2017 season - no reason to talk about that at all.
His buyout is that he is payed the full value of his remaining contract if he is fired before the end of 2017. After the end of the 2017 season it is $1MM for each year remaining on the contract. So after the end of the 2017 season GT would owe CPJ $3MM (contract runs through 2020).

while I agree with the logic, the most disappointing aspect to me is that, after this many years into the regime, the topic about CPJ's status is even on the table. When he came in, we knew there were people opposed to that system.I had hoped that he would, given time, prove the naysayers wrong. I disliked the dissension and division amongst the fanbase during the previous regime. and don't want to see a repeat of same.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I've come to the same conclusion with regards to our O and the current state of football. The rules give you advantages in the passing game but not really running the ball.

I have no doubt about coach Braun and his situation. Little do most know what anyone on here's background is. As far as recruiting goes yes there are academic challenges but I personally have seen many so called 2 and 3'stars succeed and achieve much success. So I don't buy those excuses. Coaching is part of seeing and realizing the potential of a players capabilities and then putting them in a position to succeed. Now do the players have to achieve the results desired absolutely, but does that change the fact that the coaching is responsible for their progress. I could go on and on.

Also you must not realize I have been a tech fan for 30 years and support all our atheletes. Trey was an awesome lineman and interesting honk Parker may be better. So yes I keep up with it.

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
See this is what I said in an earlier thread. I have read this entire thread and see some of the attitudes towards us sidewalk fans I swear some of you alumni are WORSE than uga fans and that is saying a lot I have enjoyed MOST of the time I have spent here. Lately the egotistical and foolishness of the alumni towards sidewalk fans has me thinking why I waste my time being a fan that has " 1 in 6" millionaires. Well I'm not a tech graduate but have always loved the school and sports teams but my patience with some on this board and some in general is wearing very thin.
Very well said I am a sidewalk fan too. I have had season tickets for 10 years and never miss a game. I also go to as many road games as possible how many of the Great GT alums do that? From the look of the stands not many.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I understand that there is frustration. I think that stems from an inability to recognize that there are things that are necessary to bring in 4-5 star recruits that GT is not willing to do. I am OK with that, then again, I'm not a 'fan' it's a little deeper than that. I like that Trey is an GT Engineer who played football while there. As for Parker, he could have gone anywhere but chose GT because of this balance, because of this offense, and he likes Sewak.
I appreciate the fact that a parent is willing to endure all kinds of garbage just to make a few very valid points from his perspective. The idea that Tech is NOT willing to do the things necessary to attract 4 and 5 star talent is telling. That would be, I assume, "bag men", girls, classes in uh, recreation and assorted other enticements that now litter the college football landscape. The type of offense we run is not as big a factor in recruiting failures as the lack of, shall we say, extracurricular benefits that apparently not part of the deal in getting a football scholarship to the Institute. IMHO ps. thank you Mr. Braun for sending us not one but two fine football players.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Very well said I am a sidewalk fan too. I have had season tickets for 10 years and never miss a game. I also go to as many road games as possible how many of the Great GT alums do that? From the look of the stands not many.

God bless you sidewalk fans. I can only imagine what that must be like...maybe paying taxes to a country in which you do not reside? ministering in a leper colony? anyways, we are glad to have all of you who share the affliction with us.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
He is not going anywhere. Besides, I thought the offense played pretty well today. I know the turnovers were the difference, but at least they moved the ball much better than against Clemson. I have said it a million times but I am going to say it again: RECRUITING EMPHASIS NEEDS TO BE CENTERED ON DEFENSE AND OLINE. No more quarterbacks moving to defense and no more 5-8 Abacks at least for a while. Others, of course, may differ but I believe we should go all out in recruiting linemen on a national scale. IMHO

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

As I said in the post that was somehow offensive, I appreciate that it's harder to be a sidewalk fan for GT than for the football factories. I envy yall for being local and applaud your support.