New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
You realize we, GY said we didn’t need a protected rival don’t you? Or are you just yapping?
Just yapping, didn't realize we said we don't give a damn who you give us to play. Is Batt just being nice so as not to piss off his UNC buddies. And if rivalry doesn't mean anything and its all about the wins, UGA needs to be off the schedule. Is everyone in favor of that? Im not.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It Sucks that we don’t get a Cali trip for such a long time

I don’t really care about Clemson

Why is a trip to freaking Ireland taking a home game away?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Just yapping, didn't realize we said we don't give a damn who you give us to play. Is Batt just being nice so as not to piss off his UNC buddies. And if rivalry doesn't mean anything and its all about the wins, UGA needs to be off the schedule. Is everyone in favor of that? Im not.
Apples and oranges - UGA doesn't count against our ACC standings. Louisville is about to make it to Charlotte thanks to avoiding Free Shoes, Clemson, UNC, etc...that could literally be our position in 2025. And reminder that winner of the ACCCG next season makes the playoff automatically.

Batt made his position clear - he wants to play for titles over rivalries.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am 100% good with Clemson being off annually. That makes keeping UGA on much more reasonable and worth keeping.

This is a 7 year schedule. TV no doubt influenced this wanting more games that get more eyeballs. GT currently is not a football brand. We have 7 years to change that perception.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I don’t mind losing Clemson. All tradition was lost when we left the round robin format. We used to play Maryland every year too, but that changed.
All the more reason to win this last “permanent matchup” against them.

I also doubt in a decade that the ACC exists in anything close to the current format, so keeping Clemson would kick the can down the road. I full expect the next round of big 10/sec expansion will lose a lot of ACC teams… I pray we are one of them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Upside of FSU and ND next year is both of their QBs will be gone. FSU began playing better with the rise of Jordan Travis, and ND is having a good season because Sam Hartman. They're both seniors. Both schools, I suspect, will continue to have elite defenses.

I fully expect us to be better on offense. Defense? TBD.

Man, not gonna lie though, the schedule looks TOUGH. Our "gimmies" are VMI and GA State. GA State has been playing some good football under their HFC...and we like to stumble against nobodies. Duke and UNC will both lose their QBs to the NFL draft most likely (both QBs are consider 1st round picks). Tyler Van Dyke (Miami) will have the opportunity to move on if he wants, but I do see him coming back to solidify his draft position as this year's QB class is probably the deepest it's ever been.

On paper, next year does appear tough, but maybe not as tough as it seems now given some key losses for them.

Since we're pretty much unbeatable against ranked teams, next year sets up perfectly for GT.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We won't play FSU at home before the ACC disbands. Pretty sad.
The ACC might still be around in 2029.

That looks like a good year for attending road games. FSU, ND, SMU.

EDIT: We have Miami on the road that year too. Heck, I might just throw in WF that year and attend every game.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Taking our 2 best home games away from our actual stadium should be a criminal offence
I was in Ireland for the last one. It was like a home game for Tech. I’m sure FSU travels better than BC, but maybe not overseas.
I highly recommend going. We went to the game, thankfully won then spent a week going around Ireland and Northern Ireland. If you have the means and the time off, it is a great trip.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Would have liked Clemson, Duke, and VT and protected games. We still end up playing Louisville and Wake more than anyone else... why?? UNC getting to dodge us almost entirely after we've kicked their *** the last 25 years is some BS too. They have 6 conference teams that they will only play 2x over 7 years, what kind of **** scheduling is that.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Would have liked Clemson, Duke, and VT and protected games. We still end up playing Louisville and Wake more than anyone else... why?? UNC getting to dodge us almost entirely after we've kicked their *** the last 25 years is some BS too. They have 6 conference teams that they will only play 2x over 7 years, what kind of **** scheduling is that.
Well the GTAA said they didn’t care for any protected games so you might want to write the AD.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s impossible to know who will have strong teams in a given year, but the 4 teams that “should” be head and shoulders better are FSU, Clemson, Miami and NC. We only play these teams 12 times in 7 years and play only 1 of them in 4 years. I like that.

Last edited:

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
the fact that NC teams all have multiple permanent rivals while there are two schools with none is pretty laughable.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I understand wishing we had certain opponents more often or every year. ...but that's just a preference. I do not understand how playing certain opponents only twice over 7 years in & of itself is a problem? Ga Tech asked for no protected matchup. Can't really fault the ACC for giving us what we requested.

Just because schools scheduling criteria is different (different number & mix of protected matchups) does not mean any team is getting a good or bad deal. Each year... you play 8. Just win.