New ACC Schedule Format Reveal

Do you wish that Clemson was kept as a protected annual rival?

• Yes

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • No

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 46 33.6%

• Total voters

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t get the allure of playing MBS either and I would just as soon drop it.

Losing Clemson as a permanent game is a plus for us.

Odd that SMU is locked in with Cal and Stanford. They probably have less history than any other pair of teams.

With 16 opponents, 8 games annually, and an even distribution, everyone would have a home and away with every team every four years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Till this year, we played Duke every year since 1933.
They used to be a gimme game.
As a freshman in 65 my first remberance of us playing duke was high pointed by a frat house near the stadium that had fabricated a giant purple toilet. The toilet had a large paper mache turd that went up and down to a loud flushing sound. Big sign said FLUSH THE DUKIE.
Knew i belonged at Gt

I wasnt a fan of playing duke, but change has come.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don’t get the allure of playing MBS either and I would just as soon drop it.

Losing Clemson as a permanent game is a plus for us.

Odd that SMU is locked in with Cal and Stanford. They probably have less history than any other pair of teams.

With 16 opponents, 8 games annually, and an even distribution, everyone would have a home and away with every team every four years.
I think SMU gave $ and brings a Dallas market.

Lots of gt alumns in texas.

Wife and I will go to every smu game in dallas since we have kids/grand kids all raised to be gt fans who live there!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We have 3 home games next year, I'll go cheer on tweeter about how great our schedule is.
How do you get that? We have 3 ACC true home games next year. We have VMI and GA State at BDS. We have ND in MBS as a home game. Five true home games and one home game at MBS. The one at MBS will be an actual "home" atmosphere game because it isn't part of the kickoff series. It will be like the UNC game in 2021.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m having a hard time parsing the PR-speak to see if GT “agreed that they didn’t need a permanent rival to enable more creative scheduling” or whatever or if GT “agreed” that it’s better after not getting what you to not publicly whine about it.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
How do you get that? We have 3 ACC true home games next year. We have VMI and GA State at BDS. We have ND in MBS as a home game. Five true home games and one home game at MBS. The one at MBS will be an actual "home" atmosphere game because it isn't part of the kickoff series. It will be like the UNC game in 2021.
Wow, VMI and Gast. We gave up any type of beneficial rivalry and ACC thanked us by shafting us out of an avg 35k home game. It's about a $2M mistake. The ND game was already locked in & they're not a conference opponent. Now if you tell me we ditched Clemp and picked up 2 extra home & 2 away games against ND, not the Chik fila kick off crap home game where we only get a small portion of a reduced sized stadium but a real Mbenz home game, well that's a different story.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m having a hard time parsing the PR-speak to see if GT “agreed that they didn’t need a permanent rival to enable more creative scheduling” or whatever or if GT “agreed” that it’s better after not getting what you to not publicly whine about it.
It seems odd to me that Tech didn't ask for Clemson as a permanent rival, if in fact that's the case.
Long standing rivalry that has produced some of the most memorable games in Tech football history and puts more fans in the stands than any other game except Ugag.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Wow, VMI and Gast. We gave up any type of beneficial rivalry and ACC thanked us by shafting us out of an avg 35k home game. It's about a $2M mistake. The ND game was already locked in & they're not a conference opponent. Now if you tell me we ditched Clemp and picked up 2 extra home & 2 away games against ND, not the Chik fila kick off crap home game where we only get a small portion of a reduced sized stadium but a real Mbenz home game, well that's a different story.
I would argue that what GT needs to do is win. Start winning 8-11 games every year and GT will be the team that people come to the stadium to see. It won't be 15k GT fans and 40k mutt fans after Thanksgiving.

Clemson doesn't look good this year. Dabo was ripping into a teenage caller to his radio show tonight. Are their fans going to travel when they are just an average team? When the mutts slow down or Kirby unSmart is fired for some scandal are their fans still going to pay lots of money to go to that game at BDS? I think something that people overlook a lot is that teams that are good today aren't necessarily going to be good in a few years. I am not predicting it, but it is possible that Clemson is currently on a downslide to an average team. In the SEC it used to be that the SEC West played to decide who got the opportunity to lose to Tennessee or Florida or occasionally the mutts. Then it because who in the East got the opportunity to lose to Alabama, LSU, or occasionally Auburn. The last couple of years it was who gets to lose to the mutts, but they appear to be beatable this year.

Who will be the top team in the ACC in three years? I would say it is likely to be FSU, but I have no real idea what will happen there. If Mike Norvell leaves, they might go through another rough patch. Clemson could possibly already be an average team for the long term. Mack Brown can't be at UNC much longer. Miami has been a dumpster fire with top notch talent for a long time. We have no idea who will be good and relevant, and who will be bad. If you had told people two years ago that GT would be travelling to Clemson late in the season needing a win to be able to go to a bowl game, people would have automatically said to just forget about a bowl game. If GT is 4-5 and needs to beat Clemson and Syracuse to make a bowl this year, people will probably say it is about even odds. You can't schedule seven years of games and have any certainty at all how the schedule will work out from a relevancy and attendance standpoint.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Re: next year's ACC title hunt

I doubt there will be many (or any) years where there will be more than 2 undefeated teams in conference play. It hardly works out where 2 division winners are unbeaten in conference play. The last (and only) time it happened in the history of the ACCCG was 2015 when Clemson & UNC played. The real issues will start to pop up when there is 1 undefeated team and 2-3 teams with 1 ACC loss, OR no undefeated teams and 3-4 teams with 1-loss

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
the fact that NC teams all have multiple permanent rivals while there are two schools with none is pretty laughable.
Not really. You can practically walk from one campus to the next...literally in the case of Duke and UNC...and even NCSU if you're in shape.

I'm not going to miss penciling in an automatic L next to Clemson and UGA every season...one is enough for now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Regardless if we have not won many games against them over the past decade, l want to play them every year.
We’ve played them every year for over 4 decades I believe and they have been a rival for longer. I think we still lead the series by a good margin but I haven’t checked.

I’m trying to imagine uga giving up playing Florida or Auburn and I just can’t imagine it. Rivals build interest over generations of fandom.

slugboy

Staff member
It seems odd to me that Tech didn't ask for Clemson as a permanent rival, if in fact that's the case.
Long standing rivalry that has produced some of the most memorable games in Tech football history and puts more fans in the stands than any other game except Ugag.
Also, Clemson, UNC, UVA, and a bunch of other schools didn’t ask for us.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
As someone mentioned playing UGA doesn’t hurt us in anyway playing for an auto bid to the playoff as the ACC champ. Playing a permanent rival of Clemson or FSU would. JBatt made the smartest decision I’ve seen in decades from a GT AD.9-3 will get you in an expanded playoff. That is what is coming and JBatt knows that.

Y’all do remember that those years in the Coastal that VT had BC as their yearly crossover while we had Clemson right? How many Orange Bowls would we have gone to if those were reversed. We started out a game behind those birds every year so if we lost t9 them we were basically eliminated. I love that now we start on a level playing field. But I’ll be more than happy to play them or FSU in the ACCCG every year.