Mike Bobinski and The Search of Doom

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
The more I think about it, the more I am starting to believe it could work. But only if he can bring in the golf coast coach, and the miller grove coach as assistants, which would also mean not being so stubborn and let the assistants coaches/recruit. Orrrrrr it could be a huge mess. Hoping for option A.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
The more I think about it, the more I am starting to believe it could work. But only if he can bring in the golf coast coach, and the miller grove coach as assistants, which would also mean not being so stubborn and let the assistants coaches/recruit. Orrrrrr it could be a huge mess. Hoping for option A.
At this point we don't have much to lose. This is a boom or bust move!

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
Glad we will be taking the **** show off your hands. So basically we are hiring a nice guy who can't coach and has lost control of his program and in turn you are relieved of your $10 million buyout. What a deal!
I mean that is one way to look at it. I cant argue most of what you said. But there is promise. He is still young enough to turn the coaching corner. A fresh start and if he hires a proven x's & o's assistant, he could do well. I can't fully explain all the transfers, but he is the common denominator. We have our theories.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
Interesting take from Memphis boards on GT - "a coaching graveyard". May explain why we have the options (or lack of) that we have.

Yeah, we're so much of a coaching graveyard that are previous two coaches to Gregory both lasted for over a decade each and both made final fours.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I wake up just now and can't sleep, so I pull up ESPN... What do I see on the front page...josh pastner GT candidate. I'm thinking oh god here's another dumb rumor...come here to the board...already being discussed.

This is Hewitt 2.0 all over. Why can't we focus a good coach who knows Xs and Os???? Our program really has fallen this far that we are hiring a guy who was really close to being fired at Memphis?? The guy will prob bring in a decent name here and there but he already has the rep of having troubled relationships with players.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
Trying to spin this optimistically, because I don't know what else to do at this point: He can recruit well, so if we get him for cheap, even if he doesn't produce a ton of wins, at least we should have the money and players to entice a good coach in 3-4 years.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
I know nothing other than this. I know josh and his father. Tonight Hal (his father) said call him tomorrow after I hear the news. He knows I am a Yellow Jacket fan. He said I will know when too call.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Let me tell you something, that ship sailed last year when Gregory was kept on (for the right reasons, aka buyout, I should add). I think it is the dumbest argument that we need to hire a new coach ASAP because of recruiting. And let me say before i start that I'm not singling you out peac because I've heard this argument too much lately from too many people. I don't care how good the players are, it makes no sense to hire a coach that is potentially a multiple 4 year class decision based on one recruiting cycle. That is to say, rush to pick a coach so that maybe, by chance we land one of the big recruits in this cycle, and on top of that, they live up to the big recruiting billing. That is insanely stupid. More likely than not, next year will be a down year for GT basketball. I'd much rather live with that and hire a coach that can build the foundation for sustained success. We don't know who will be hired, it may be a big name or not. What I do know, however, is that big names can be successful as well as falling on their butts. The same exact thing can be said of smaller named coaches ( less experienced). Look at Virginia and ncstate as prime example for my argument. The other thing I know is that mbob has yet to make a bad hire for bball coach. Everybody needs to get over a search taking longer than 2 weeks. Hell, I'll wait two months of that means a decade of relevent GT bball, over getting what are supposedly great recruits in one cycle, that may or may not pan out. As I said before, everybody needs to chill and just wait it out and have faith that mbob will get it done. Sure we struck out on Drew, but I wouldn't pay 2.7 mil for him and I'm sure most of you wouldn't either. Besides Drew, everything else is 100% speculation.

We aren't talking talking about next year with the 17 class. We are talking about the year after. And while I think it's important to hire a good coach, you need to do it in a timely manner to not put your program behind the 8 ball with what needs to be accomplished.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner was making 2.65 million at Memphis. CPJ makes 2.8 million. It'd be really dumb to pay Pastner almost on par with CPJ.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Holy crap. I respond to a comment directed at me. And then realize since I posted last night there are 5 more pages from overnight.

Time to get reading........

image.gif

The one guy........holy.....

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
As a couple of other people pointed out, the guy can clearly recruit and his record is pretty much identical to what Capel did as a head coach, yet people were really excited about Capel and tremendously hate this? Given the smoke from the national media, this is the first one that seems to them like it may be a done deal.

Until all the details get announced, however, I am going to go give MBon the benefit of the doubt and hope that MBob has worked out some brilliant financial scheme. No way we pay any meaningful portion of his buyout. If we do, MBob should be fired immediately.

I am going to assume instead that Pastner is agreeing to a smaller buyout at Memphis because he knows it is time for a change. If this change should happen, GT should get him paying no part of the buyout and probably for around $2M (less than he is making now and less than we were willing to pay Drew). If that is the case, I still want to read up on the guy, but that doesn't sound like the worst solution to me. I would be MUCH happier with that than Kelsey for example. (Still would rather have Cuonzo).

In some dream case, Pastner is willing to decrease his buyout so much that Memphis is actually giving us some money, but that is probably too hopeful.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Is there anything we can do as a fan base to oppose this hire? Email Peterson perhaps? Or is this done?

Maybe if Bud suddenly gets 3,000 emails this morning telling him to fire MBob over this terrible hire, he will wake up and smell the coffee? Oh, who am I kidding. This is Bud Peterson....this is the guy who chose to hire MBob in the first place, as well as flawlessly handles sexual assault cases on campus etc etc.

Never mind. We're doomed.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
JP is certainly not my 1st choice, but that didn't work. That said, he Memphis just had two seasons very much like the one we just finished. Until the last two seasons, Memphis fans thought 25 wins was their birthright. So, they are disappointed when JP only wins 19 games. Wow!

The thing that worries me is the potential for another huge buyout clause that ties us down for years after his tenure ends. Maybe, since he contacted us, that is something he can live without.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
As a couple of other people pointed out, the guy can clearly recruit and his record is pretty much identical to what Capel did as a head coach, yet people were really excited about Capel and tremendously hate this? Given the smoke from the national media, this is the first one that seems to them like it may be a done deal.

Until all the details get announced, however, I am going to go give MBon the benefit of the doubt and hope that MBob has worked out some brilliant financial scheme. No way we pay any meaningful portion of his buyout. If we do, MBob should be fired immediately.

I am going to assume instead that Pastner is agreeing to a smaller buyout at Memphis because he knows it is time for a change. If this change should happen, GT should get him paying no part of the buyout and probably for around $2M (less than he is making now and less than we were willing to pay Drew). If that is the case, I still want to read up on the guy, but that doesn't sound like the worst solution to me. I would be MUCH happier with that than Kelsey for example. (Still would rather have Cuonzo).

In some dream case, Pastner is willing to decrease his buyout so much that Memphis is actually giving us some money, but that is probably too hopeful.

The general belief is that Memphis has trended downward the longer Calipari has been gone. It may not be fair to say he isn't good because he hasn't replicated Cal's success, but it's also a bit skewed to look solely at record without accounting for where the program was when he took over. It's clear things haven't gone well, and perusing Memphis message boards indicates that they want him gone probably as badly as we wanted Hewitt gone.

He's recruited well but only really had one season where the team actually seemed to perform at the level of their talent (sound familiar?). This year's team was a disaster, finishing in 7th place (out of 11 teams) and below .500 in the American.

Of course, he's still young, so perhaps he's able to rebound from the last few years, and perhaps you're right that MBob is able to make this very financially advantageous for us.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of good players out there. I would only take him if he can actually being something to the table other than his boys.