Mike Bobinski and The Search of Doom

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Announcement of the new GT BB coach and reaction....
fVUKV6i.gif

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not excited about this. CJP has been a punchline this past season.

If you are a bright side type, don't hold your breath thinking MBob is shrewd enough to get $$ FROM Memphis or not pay any buyout OR that he will pay below market or negotiate a favorable buyout for us- he won't. This will be same coach-friendly contract all new ACC coaches get and MBOB just tied his career to this giant question mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me tell you something, that ship sailed last year when Gregory was kept on (for the right reasons, aka buyout, I should add). I think it is the dumbest argument that we need to hire a new coach ASAP because of recruiting. And let me say before i start that I'm not singling you out peac because I've heard this argument too much lately from too many people. I don't care how good the players are, it makes no sense to hire a coach that is potentially a multiple 4 year class decision based on one recruiting cycle. That is to say, rush to pick a coach so that maybe, by chance we land one of the big recruits in this cycle, and on top of that, they live up to the big recruiting billing. That is insanely stupid. More likely than not, next year will be a down year for GT basketball. I'd much rather live with that and hire a coach that can build the foundation for sustained success. We don't know who will be hired, it may be a big name or not. What I do know, however, is that big names can be successful as well as falling on their butts. The same exact thing can be said of smaller named coaches ( less experienced). Look at Virginia and ncstate as prime example for my argument. The other thing I know is that mbob has yet to make a bad hire for bball coach. Everybody needs to get over a search taking longer than 2 weeks. Hell, I'll wait two months of that means a decade of relevent GT bball, over getting what are supposedly great recruits in one cycle, that may or may not pan out. As I said before, everybody needs to chill and just wait it out and have faith that mbob will get it done. Sure we struck out on Drew, but I wouldn't pay 2.7 mil for him and I'm sure most of you wouldn't either. Besides Drew, everything else is 100% speculation.
Very well said !

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
Quick thoughts on Josh Pastner and Georgia Tech

University of Memphis head coach Josh Pastner

Five quick thoughts on Josh Pastner, Georgia Tech and the Memphis coaching job:

1. This could be a remarkable week for the University of Memphis. Monday, the Senate approved Gov. Bill Haslam's plan to spin off four-year universities from the Board of Regents. Wednesday, the entire NFL showed up on campus for Paxton Lynch's pro day. And Thursday evening, Jeff Goodman of ESPN broke the news that Josh Pastner is in final negotiations to become the new coach at Georgia Tech. That report was subsequently confirmed by Jason Smith of this newspaper.

2. It's the best possible news for Memphis and Memphis basketball. The current situation was toxic and unsustainable. And yet, Memphis had decided it couldn't fire Pastner because it would have owed him $10.6 million under his current ontract.

3. Right now, that decision looks genius, doesn't it? Can you imagine if Memphis had fired Pastner -- and had given him the $10.6 million -- and then Georgia Tech had swooped in? Instead, it appears that Pastner will resign voluntarily and accept the Georgia Tech job. Will there be some settlement of his contract with Memphis? I imagine, yes. Multiple people have told me Pastner's agent will try to have Memphis pay whatever difference there might be between his old deal and his new one. But there's not a whole lot of incentive for Memphis to kick in a lot of money at this point. How could Pastner possibly turn down an escape route like Georgia Tech? Yes, Memphis needs him to go. But not any more than Pastner needs to be gone. The two sides should recognize they each have a keen interest in making this work.

4. It's an astonishing bit of good fortune for everyone involved. It's good for Memphis, good for Pastner, and good for the fans who want to love and support their basketball program again. Pastner did a lot of fine things his first five years in the job. But the last two years have been miserable. And next year was shaping up to be more miserable still.

5. So who will replace Pastner at Memphis, if he does actually leave? That's a topic for another day. For now, let me remind you it was exactly eight years ago that Memphis lost to Kansas in the national championship game. April 7, 2016, has been considerably more kind.

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow

1. This could be a remarkable week for the University of Memphis. Monday, the Senate approved Gov. Bill Haslam's plan to spin off four-year universities from the Board of Regents. Wednesday, the entire NFL showed up on campus for Paxton Lynch's pro day. And Thursday evening, Jeff Goodman of ESPN broke the news that Josh Pastner is in final negotiations to become the new coach at Georgia Tech. That report was subsequently confirmed by Jason Smith of this newspaper.

2. It's the best possible news for Memphis and Memphis basketball. The current situation was toxic and unsustainable. And yet, Memphis had decided it couldn't fire Pastner because it would have owed him $10.6 million under his current ontract.

3. Right now, that decision looks genius, doesn't it? Can you imagine if Memphis had fired Pastner -- and had given him the $10.6 million -- and then Georgia Tech had swooped in? Instead, it appears that Pastner will resign voluntarily and accept the Georgia Tech job. Will there be some settlement of his contract with Memphis? I imagine, yes. Multiple people have told me Pastner's agent will try to have Memphis pay whatever difference there might be between his old deal and his new one. But there's not a whole lot of incentive for Memphis to kick in a lot of money at this point. How could Pastner possibly turn down an escape route like Georgia Tech? Yes, Memphis needs him to go. But not any more than Pastner needs to be gone. The two sides should recognize they each have a keen interest in making this work.

4. It's an astonishing bit of good fortune for everyone involved. It's good for Memphis, good for Pastner, and good for the fans who want to love and support their basketball program again. Pastner did a lot of fine things his first five years in the job. But the last two years have been miserable. And next year was shaping up to be more miserable still.

5. So who will replace Pastner at Memphis, if he does actually leave? That's a topic for another day. For now, let me remind you it was exactly eight years ago that Memphis lost to Kansas in the national championship game. April 7, 2016, has been considerably more kind.
Sorry , didn't realize it had been posted earlier

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

The newspaper and writer of this deserve the page hits. Show the link.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why Cuonzo Martin was a no go again?

From what I understand, Martin was never in consideration. The link between Martin and GT was all from Martin's side. Martin is working on a LOI without a contract, and was using GT to leverage a guaranteed contract (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

GT got in front of that rumor quickly, unlike the actual coaching search itself.

jacket fan in dairyland

Jolly Good Fellow
Reading more about JP, there are a lot of things to like : known as a tireless recruiter, many NBA players ( 10+ ) , 3 of his assistants have become head coaches, 6 years as an assistant under Lute Olson at Arizona, walked on as a player at Arizona . I will admit I don't know much ( anything ) about his problems at Memphis, though.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Had the #3 recruiting class nationally in 2013 - same class as Travis and Q. 5 players in the top 100, 7 signees total. 2 of the 7 are still with the program, with the other 5 transferring (coincidentally the 5 transfers were the 5 top rated players in their class). The year after in 2014, there were 4 signees, 2 of which are no longer with the program due to transfer. So in 2 years, 7 of 11 signees are lost due to transfer - I know transfers are becoming a part of the game, but when you're losing 2/3 of your team to transfers over a given period of time, something stinks.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm talking myself into being okay with this hire. This is a guy who was once considered a coaching prodigy. He took over at Memphis at age 31 and won a bunch of games. A lot of folks were okay with the idea of hiring McCall at this point. Pastner is only a few years older and much more experienced and accomplished. My hope is that he made his mistakes and took his lumps as a young coach and learned from them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
After sleeping on it, here are some things I gleaned after reading more on Pastner:

1. Took over a Memphis program, that while it was winning big under Calipari, was also in shambles behind the scenes. Not only did he win 25+ games his first 5 years, he cleaned up the mess Calipari left behind.

2. Was considered one of the brightest young basketball minds at one point. A lot of people considered him a basketball coaching prodigy. Coached AAU ball while still in high school...coached Emeka Okafor! Was a walk-on at Arizona, and even then he was helping the coaching staff....and quite a few thought of him as a future head coach back then.

3. Graduated college in 2.5 years, has a masters, and was working on his doctorate (whether he finished that is not clear).

4. Universally regarded is a really good recruiter on national level. At one time, was considered an elite recruiter on a national level.

5. Coached under Lute Olson and Calipari.

Maybe Pastner is what GT needs right now. A coach that's a bit broken in some respects, but still has a high ceiling. Afterall, isn't that how you would describe GT basketball right now? Had this hire happened just 3 years ago, Pastner would have been a coup and GT would have exulted Bobinski. But the reality is, GT was always going to get the imperfect coach regardless of if it was Capel (Oklahoma questions), Drew (inexperience in this region), Kelsey (too green and not enough success at a lower level), Laranaga (no college experience). Drew was the "cleanest" hire of the bunch, even then we were split on his fit for GT.

It's a situation where both coach and school need each other. In Pastner, we get a guy with a tremendous upside, but has issues that he needs to work through. Remember, Pastner is still considered a young coach. He's accomplished things in his career most coaches will never accomplish. The belief is a change of scenery and learning from his mistakes at Memphis will help him move forward into an even better coach at GT.

Hopefully, it works out the way both parties expect.