Lamont Simmons (DB)

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Our 2016 secondary and the defensive end positions should be REALLY talented. You want a lot of sacks: 1. Pressure on the QB (check). 2. Ability to cover the WR long enough to let the rushers do their job (check).

2016 is setting up to be a VERY special year for GT. JeT will be a senior, our skill positions will be more seasoned with better and more explosive athletes, our OL will be very deep and very talented, and our defense will be paced by a talented secondary and defensive end units.

I'm excited about the 2015 season...but the 2016 season and kicking off in Dublin will be hard to contain my excitement.
Only position im worried about for 2016 is dt

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Only position im worried about for 2016 is dt

It won't be as strong as the DE position, but I think Kallon will be better than average by then. We can slide Gamble back inside because we'll have an embarassment of riches at DE. Glanton and Henderson will provide depth. We just need to be average at DT because our DE unit will be special.

Hopefully our linebacking corp will step up so our entire Defense will be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You would have a LOT more kids transferring every single year if you didn't have the rule. I agree with it for the most part. I actually think it's hilarious when these young men think because I'm going to UGA, Bama, USC etc. that they're set for life because that is what they have been told to get them to commit. Football isn't everything but the younger generations only thinks NFL. Football doesn't last forever. I think that is what separates GT from the pack.
I am not libertarian, a free market zealot, or a Tea Party guy ranting about rights. But simply, say a lot of players transfer. So what? I don't presume to know why player X went to SC, or Y went to GT, only what an 18-year-old says at the time. (Master's project: how many graduating football players actually do what they said they went to a particular school to do?) Going from when I was 18 most of them already have a pretty good idea of their ceiling. It is sobering, and a dream is gone, but there it is. Coaches, ADs, college presidents change their minds, and as we saw this year, recruiting coaches lie a kid into signing, then leap to another job paying more money. Every single one of them is on the make for the next big job and will walk in a minute with a bronze statue waiting. Why are they different? From all indications Charles Kelly loved GT, enjoyed working for and even admired Johnson. FSU waved a three-year contract instead of a one, doubled his salary, and he called the moving van. A single guy might, might, have stayed. But a married guy with kids? Who blames him? The fact remains he was gone and the players he helped recruit did not have that choice. If one wants to limit the transfers to one-per, fine. Want to put in a window for the decision so that the present coach knows what to recruit for? Fine. Get it right the second time or lose a year. But to charge a kid 25% of his eligibility because he wilted to pressure? If one wants to stipulate that any college football coach caught tampering with somebody else's players is banned for life, I am on board. Sorry for bloviating, but fans vacillate between treating players like idols, or cattle. Besides which the NCAA is such a mess it can't be worse anyway.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've put this forth on this site before. If the school offers a "until-degreed" scholarship, then the kid has to sit out a year if he chooses to transfer. If the school only offers a 1-year scholarship (like they do now), then the SA does not have to sit out a year with a school transfer. There are no restrictions on transfers.

If the coaches don't want the kids to transfer, guarantee him a scholarship for as long as it takes to graduate. Otherwise, roll the dice. It'll ease the burden on these kids who are being shoved out of the factories because they haven't performed to the level of expectation.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I've put this forth on this site before. If the school offers a "until-degreed" scholarship, then the kid has to sit out a year if he chooses to transfer. If the school only offers a 1-year scholarship (like they do now), then the SA does not have to sit out a year with a school transfer. There are no restrictions on transfers.

If the coaches don't want the kids to transfer, guarantee him a scholarship for as long as it takes to graduate. Otherwise, roll the dice. It'll ease the burden on these kids who are being shoved out of the factories because they haven't performed to the level of expectation.
I like this idea, and I think it would basically force all schools to make scholarships 4/5 year deals (which is a good thing).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It won't be as strong as the DE position, but I think Kallon will be better than average by then. We can slide Gamble back inside because we'll have an embarassment of riches at DE. Glanton and Henderson will provide depth. We just need to be average at DT because our DE unit will be special.

Hopefully our linebacking corp will step up so our entire Defense will be a nightmare for opposing teams.
I agree. Gamble may play inside or outside this year but next year we need him inside for sure. Also agree LB will be a brighter spot next season.