How does this next period rate

SavannahBee

Georgia Tech Fan
For crying out loud, it is one friggin' bad season. The team lost tremendous talent in key areas on offense (backfield and OL leadership). Injuries have plagued us this year. Some bad breaks. It is so short-sighted to judge and make any long-term decisions regarding a coaching staff based on 75% of a single season when placed in its appropriate context.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
For crying out loud, it is one friggin' bad season. The team lost tremendous talent in key areas on offense (backfield and OL leadership). Injuries have plagued us this year. Some bad breaks. It is so short-sighted to judge and make any long-term decisions regarding a coaching staff based on 75% of a single season when placed in its appropriate context.

Nobody has.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
not sure what you mean. Our discussion is about paul. Paul is fine this year not matter what and will be here next year unless he chooses to leave. He has had more successful years at GT than any coach in the past 50. We fired Chan due to not being scared to upgrade, and we upgraded. Schools can't be scared to fire their mediocre coach to upgrade if they believe it can happen.

clemson did it.
uga did it for donnan
GT did it for Chan
etc etc

We are having one bad year. Many coaches do. Mark Richt at UGA had a losing year. Of all schools. Its bound to happen at tech too. Firing CPJ would happen too after consecutive bad losing years IMO

So I really don't know what lewis has to do with this. Really nothing. Up to now, paul has been the best coach at GT in 50 years. In record, biggest win seasons etc....So I am going off what I see. If he happens to have 3 horrible years he will be gone. Up to now nothing suggests this season is anything more than a blip. We will see.

He's here for at least two more seasons on his contract alone. I hope he can turn it around next year. I hate to see the bowl streak snapped, but it doesn't look promising.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He's here for at least two more seasons on his contract alone. I hope he can turn it around next year. I hate to see the bowl streak snapped, but it doesn't look promising.

U r probably right about the contract etc. but there is no way imo we repeat next year..... He is a good coach. The unfixed errors of his poorer coaches are catching up to us this year amongst injuries and little bad luck and a tough schedule

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
"Paul is fine this year not matter what and will be here next year unless he chooses to leave. He has had more successful years at GT than any coach in the past 50."

HORSE****
you spout off on these forums like you're all knowing

-Paul has finished ranked 3 seasons in 8 years, GOL finished in top 25 1997-2001 = thats 5 in a row
-paul beat ugag twice in 8 seasons, GOL 3 in a row, only coach since DODD
-Paul inherited a ton of NFL talent from Chan and his first 2 seasons set unrealistic expectations based on the LOADS of talent we had then and do not have now, weve not reproduced through recruiting
-He is 42-35 counting 2010 through tonight and yes that includes all our gimme FCS teams (jax state, alcorn state, Wofford, etc), is that worth 3 mil a year?
-we play more games now than anytime ever in GT history so winning more happens when you play more, accept this year...WERE IN BILL LEWIS Territory now 3-7

im tired of reading that paul is the 2nd coming of dodd and weve been average forever until he came and saved us...BULL****

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
"Paul is fine this year not matter what and will be here next year unless he chooses to leave. He has had more successful years at GT than any coach in the past 50."

HORSE****
you spout off on these forums like you're all knowing

-Paul has finished ranked 3 seasons in 8 years, GOL finished in top 25 1997-2001 = thats 5 in a row
-paul beat ugag twice in 8 seasons, GOL 3 in a row, only coach since DODD
-Paul inherited a ton of NFL talent from Chan and his first 2 seasons set unrealistic expectations based on the LOADS of talent we had not have, weve not reproduced through recruiting
-He is 42-35 counting 2010 through tonight and yes that includes all our gimme FCS teams (jax state, alcorn state, WOfford, etc), is that worth 3 mil a year?
-we play more games now than anytime ever in GT history so winning more happens when you play more, accept this year...WERE IN BILL LEWIS Territory now 3-7

im tired of reading that paul is the 2nd coming of dodd and weve been average forever until he came and saved us...BULL****

The shine is starting to wear off. While he has had some success, this is our worse season since Lewis. If the team isn't much better next year, he will be on the hot seat.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
The shine is starting to wear off. While he has had some success, this is our worse season since Lewis. If the team isn't much better next year, he will be on the hot seat.

The shine wore off several years ago. The way last year ended was nice but it was really nothing more than polishing the turd from the previous 4 years. Last year was the exception. The previous four years and this year are the rule.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
An 11 win season was "a polished turd"....? Hysterically stupid comment.
When sandwiched between the previous 4 years of inept play and now this years complete unraveling of the season I'd say so. Don't get me wrong. It was great beating ugag and winning the bowl game but overall this has not been a good program under Johnson since the best players from Gailey's last class turned pro following the 2009 season. Mediocre teams that played essentially .500 ball when you include all the cupcakes from 2010-2013 and now this season it has gone off the cliff and getting dangerously close to Bill Lewis territory. Just facts. Nothing hysterical about any of that.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
When sandwiched between the previous 4 years of inept play and now this years complete unraveling of the season I'd say so. Don't get me wrong. It was great beating ugag and winning the bowl game but overall this has not been a good program under Johnson since the best players from Gailey's last class turned pro following the 2009 season. Mediocre teams that played essentially .500 ball when you include all the cupcakes from 2010-2013 and now this season it has gone off the cliff and getting dangerously close to Bill Lewis territory. Just facts. Nothing hysterical about any of that.

Totally CPJ's fault that he knew how to use Gailey's recruits better than him. We've had meh years in 2010, 2012 and 2013 and this year has been super meh.

But we've made 3 ACC championship games in his era. Been to Orange Bowl twice and finished as #7 team in country last year. This year has been a disaster, but I'm willing to see how next 2 years play out. You should too.

jackette

Jolly Good Fellow
Depends. Are you willing to install a department of studies in which the players can: sign up for a class, never attend, and get automatic As? That could open up our recruiting base to include players who have problems spelling their own names like one of our fellow Coastal schools. We could start looking purely at athletic ability and throw character and ability to complete GT coursework out of the window.

and unc may just be representing the coastal this year, not a word from ncaa or acc commissioner..oh that's right the acc commissioner was the ath director for 8 of those 18 years at unc but pleads ignorance...it is laughable to see butch davis and mack brown working on tv giving their opinions on other teams when they were the biggest con artist of them all..roy williams just one more joke. yep good ole boy tobacco road at its finest. had the refs in on it until finally the coward swofford had no choice but suspend two refs, too late it cost gt the game vs virginia. for this reason i am wanting out of this conference so much. swofford needs to fire himself and i will be writing him about his cowardice crap.

What's the common denominator between last years team and this years. I keep reading from others the talent we lost,blah, blah blah. Did we lose some talent,well yes of course EVERY team does. We have talent on this team Jeune, Stewart at wide out, Lynch, MLD, Marshall at a back. MM at B back. It goes on and on. The one thing that is the same is QB. Now don't take this wrong I think JT is an awesome athlete. As we have and continue to see we are struggling on offense, but what has remained the same.
Not saying bench JT, but at least see what another "leader" of the offense can do. That's all I'm asking.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
this will 2nd losing season in 8th year= 25% run rate on losing seasons
last year was great but it included wins over Ga southern, wofford, tulane to get 11 wins...all "gimme wins"
again outside of 2008 and 2009 (with bebe, dwyer, derrick morgan, etc) , weve had one great year, ...last year

2010 Georgia Tech 6–7 lost uga lost bowl
2011 Georgia Tech 8–5 lost uga lost bowl
2012 Georgia Tech 7–7 lost Uga won sun bowl
2013 Georgia Tech 7–6 lost uga lost bowl
2014 Georgia Tech 11–3 beat uga won orange
2015 Georgia Tech 3–7 ...to be continued

= 3 million a year?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
  1. I understand the frustration with CPJ. I agree that O'Leary was better, but also think O'Leary had a different set of rules to work under, specifically with regard to academic progress. There is a noticeable difference in that regard between these two coaching regimes...and a noticeable difference on the field as well. But I don't think you can hold that against CPJ, I think that's the Hill.
  2. I am also very frustrated by our offense. Beyond words frustrated. It bothers me...a lot...that we seem to start out the games well, with good schemes, and then after the defense makes adjustments, we seem lost. We score 21 against UNC very quickly, then 10 the rest of the game. 14 early against VT, then nada on offense. I think we had 21 against pitt midway through the 2nd quarter, then 7 the rest of the game. We seem to be failing after the defense adjusts. That is something I had not seen before this year and it bothers me beyond words.
  3. Offensive execution, as Boomergump has mentioned before, seems to actually be regressing, not improving as the year goes on. Again, bothers me beyond words.
  4. The calls for better play calling and for other personnel to play (Marshall vs Allen) are not calls I am all that sympathic to....if you can't execute it generally doesn't matter what the play call is and 95% of the time the guy who is playing is playing because he is better than the guy on the bench. Both issues, while common amongst fan bases to complain about, are usually not the issue. And I don't think they are here either.
We'll go 3-9 this year....that should be quite apparent to everyone by now. CPJ isn't going anywhere, not after the raise and extension he got last year. This freshman class from last year looks pretty decent, especially on defense. IF we can do some good recruiting again this year, there is hope for the future. I will admit I would prefer to see us change things offensively (I have long lobbied for more of a short passing game, and frankly it was the ONLY thing that worked last night after the 1st quarter, but we called so few of them it did not matter much.)

I also do think JT is not the best passer I have seen...but he is by far the quickest QB on the roster...meaning that as a runner he adds a threat to take it to the house that defenses have to respect and as a passer he can (sometimes) elude a pass rush and try to make a play. I remember seeing this offense with slow QB's running it. Defenses would force the QB keeper play after play, because they knew they would only give up 4-5 yards on the play, and they got to pound on the QB. Now, they try to force it out of JT's hands because they fear his speed (just ask FSU). I personally think the coaches have done a poor job this year, any way you want to measure it. And I think they have done a lousy job of giving JT a short passing game that he can execute that might make a difference to this team. CPJ's refusal to even try the shotgun, his stubbornness about adding more short passes to the attack...those are on the coaches, not on JT. (NB-I am not naive enough to think a shot passing game would magically turn us into 2014's offense, but it *would* add a dimension that might help a bit...)

Mostly, it comes down to something simple.....3-9 is not acceptable. But I have seen CPJ try to make changes in the past (not always successfully, but he has made moves) and will wait to see what this off season brings. Do I have optimism for 2016 and beyond? Not really. I share many's feelings on this board that 5 of the last 6 years have been unacceptable to me as a GT fan. Going 7-5, losing to our major rivals year after year....none of those are acceptable results to me. But there are some indications that the academic restrictions on CPJ may have loosened in the last couple of years. That *may* lead to better recruiting classes. If that happens, we may become significantly better. A lot of "maybes" in all that, but we are certainly stuck with CPJ for ...what...3 more years before we could afford to let him go? All I can do is hope is some of those "maybes" happen.

I will say I am tired of CPJ's apologia. He has defended may things and I suppose that's only human. As I said earlier, I actually don't blame him. But it annoys me, to no end, to hear him make excuses. I would like to hear him say that 5 of the last 6 years have been unacceptable. In truth, I don't think he believes they have been unacceptable, because in truth, I think the Hill has told him to get the graduation rate up, and then going to a bowl game is "good enough". That is exactly what he has done. I believe the man has done what was asked of him, which is why it is very hard for me to blame him.

I blame GT Administration for where we are with football.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
What's the common denominator between last years team and this years. I keep reading from others the talent we lost,blah, blah blah. Did we lose some talent,well yes of course EVERY team does. We have talent on this team Jeune, Stewart at wide out, Lynch, MLD, Marshall at a back. MM at B back. It goes on and on. The one thing that is the same is QB. Now don't take this wrong I think JT is an awesome athlete. As we have and continue to see we are struggling on offense, but what has remained the same.
Not saying bench JT, but at least see what another "leader" of the offense can do. That's all I'm asking.

This from @Ibeeballin on the Plug and Play Offense thread...

"What I have learned from this season is you can't plug and play team chemistry and team leaders."

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
We play more games now..fact

My issue isnt whether to get rid of CPJ, its with the comment that hes the best weve had since Dodd and I vehemently disagree...

9 win seasons are easier when you play 12-14 games than when you play 10

Nine win seasons since Dodd retired 49 years ago.
2014 11-3-0
2009 11-3-0
2008 9-4-0
2006 9-5-0
2000 9-3-0
1998 10-2-0
1990 11-0-1
1985 9-2-1
1970 9-3-0

"That's all folks!"