GT Hoops General Topics

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Some good DS quotes in here.

“What I learned about college is it’s more like the NBA than when I left (Pacific in 2021 for the Boston Celtics)… You have NIL, which is essentially pay-for-play, which is the right thing to do, yet we’re still treating the players with respect and the right way and doing the right thing by ‘em when sometimes it’s not reciprocated in return.”

“I think what a lot of us need to do is evaluate how to go about certain things. There’s so much going on in collegiate sports now that you have to run this like an NBA team. There are departments. There used to be so much put on one or two assistant coaches. Is that the right way to do it now? There’s so much more manpower that’s needed.”

“We still got a couple of scholarships and we’ll fill those, but I like my roster… Just waiting for (Ndongo’s) decision. But I think if he comes back we got a chance to be a really good team.”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Author mentioned Kelly but CDS did not. Not sure where the original interview is, maybe he did then.
Kelly and Ndongo have until May 29 (ten days after the NBA Combine) to withdraw from the draft and retain their college eligibility. Kelly does not have a deadline to withdraw from the transfer portal other than GT holding his roster spot.

I understand the comment by CDS that he has two available scholarships. He doesn't have any assurances that Baye and Mike will return and has to look after his team first. It is my personal belief, and nothing more, that Ndongo will announce his intentions soon. He is not going to be drafted and the only NCAA team he play for in 2024 is GT. Kelly might be talking to several teams about a transfer if he can get a decent NIL deal. I wonder if CDS has made a calculation that GT doesn't have enough NIL money to get both and needs Ndongo more than Kelly.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach noted how rapidly the industry is "evolving."

How rosters are built and maintained has undergone such upheaval, that I don't even recognize it anymore. This isn't like seismic activity, rather, it is more like the scene in the movie "2012" where Los Angeles slides into "the gurgling maw of the Pacific."

And I sit back and watch with wonder. Like other aspects of the world, I've hit the state where it starts with an attitude that "nothing is true, and anything can happen."