@FSU Baseball

How many games will GT win @FSU? Assume 3 games played!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
You may be referring to me regarding pitch to contact but let me be very clear.

I’d much rather have Zach Maxwell on the mound.

Unfortunately we don’t have guys like Arnold, Chase Burns, Knaack, or Leiter.

Reason I like Cam and Aeden is they throw strikes which has been a HUGE problem at tech for years.

Give up a solo shot and that’s fine. Aeden gave up 3 of those last night vs three walks in an inning and then allow a 3 run hr or a grand slam. Even the best pitchers can give up a moon shot when the batter knows a 96 mph is coming.

It’s why I think Tate and Riley Stanford have more upside. Tate is learning to pitch in college.
100% agree on throwing strikes. My mental well being (as it is affected by tech baseball, lol) is in a much better place this year than it was last, mainly b/c we throw (more) strikes.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
100% agree on throwing strikes. My mental well being (as it is affected by tech baseball, lol) is in a much better place this year than it was last, mainly b/c we throw (more) strikes.
Same here senoia.

Over the previous years, the walks had me wanting to pull my hair out.

Would whisper under my breath “throw it underhanded but just throw strikes”

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I figured going into the game last night we would not have many batters who could hit Arnold but was pleasantly surprised to see we had production throughout our lineup for our 13 hits. Impressive.
I had a golfer friend who played 3B in an ACC school years ago, and is in their school's hall of fame, once tell me that most college players cannot hit fastballs over 90 mph. And he, a star hitter for his team, was, self admittedly, one of them. The opposing coaches and pitchers know well who can and cannot hit their fastball pitchers and pitch accordingly. Arnold was still throwing well over 90 past 100 pitches. I think he ended up throwing 108 pitches.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
I figured going into the game last night we would not have many batters who could hit Arnold but was pleasantly surprised to see we had production throughout our lineup for our 13 hits. Impressive.
I had a golfer friend who played 3B in an ACC school years ago, and is in their school's hall of fame, once tell me that most college players cannot hit fastballs over 90 mph. And he, a star hitter for his team, was, self admittedly, one of them. The opposing coaches and pitchers know well who can and cannot hit their fastball pitchers and pitch accordingly. Arnold was still throwing well over 90 past 100 pitches. I think he ended up throwing 108 pitches.
I, and my HS coach always believed you NEVER walk someone with the bases empty. Throw it underhanded if you have to. He threatened to pull me if I did it.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I, and my HS coach always believed you NEVER walk someone with the bases empty. Throw it underhanded if you have to. He threatened to pull me if I did it.
Of course not, I agree. I didn't see that last night, did it happen?
I saw us walk Tibbs with a runner on 1st & 3rd to advance the runner on first, which I did consider a good move at the time knowing our pitchers.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
I saw us walk Tibbs with a runner on 1st & 3rd to advance the runner on first, which I did consider a good move at the time knowing our pitchers.
No, I wasn't refering to last night. Just season long coaching.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
We did it a couple times last night. I remember being frustrated, but the strike zone was wildly inconsistent so I give a little grace.

I checked the box score for details, both were full counts. Finateri's last batter was walking Tibbs with the bases empty, down 4-2 at the time. Then Dawson walked his first batter in the 8th. Both went on to score.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Florida INTENTIONALLY walked Charlie Condon last night with the bases empty and 1 out!!! Not a real bright move, IMO. Thankfully (in the sense of dumb moves not getting rewarded) it backfired on them, as UGa scored 3 runs, including Condon, and turned a 4-2 lead into a 7-2 lead. This happened in the bottom of the 5th.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
We did it a couple times last night. I remember being frustrated, but the strike zone was wildly inconsistent so I give a little grace.

I checked the box score for details, both were full counts. Finateri's last batter was walking Tibbs with the bases empty, down 4-2 at the time. Then Dawson walked his first batter in the 8th. Both went on to score.
I was not clear in my comment. I was referring to intentional walks.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Missing Payton Green. That looked like an easy double play ball and Kerce let's it bounce past him. Instead of an inning ending double play it ends up in a three run homer as the next batter hits it out.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Nuke! It does help to realize that we saw their best last night.

For the record, I definitely felt worse about the BC losses than I do about last night's loss. As I said, "other than the BC series". I was thinking more about the loss in Game 1 to Virginia Tech, the mid-week loss to Auburn, and the Saturday loss to Duke, fairly recent examples of games where the GTSwarm community seemed to generally be more upset than I was.
Nuke, I'm back on the ledge 🙁

Nah, it's just baseball :)

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
This is what I was afraid of

Season now boils down to game 3
Anyone know if Tate McKee is available? Colin Lacy seemed to imply the decision had not yet been made. He pitched on Sunday, threw a career high number of pitches, and with Game 3 getting moved to today, that means he would be going on two fewer days of rest compared to normal. Could we get Cam Hill and see McKee pitch game 1 of the ACC tourney? Not an ideal spot for him, I wouldn't think.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone know if Tate McKee is available? Colin Lacy seemed to imply the decision had not yet been made. He pitched on Sunday, threw a career high number of pitches, and with Game 3 getting moved to today, that means he would be going on two fewer days of rest compared to normal. Could we get Cam Hill and see McKee pitch game 1 of the ACC tourney? Not an ideal spot for him, I wouldn't think.
If Tate can’t go, it’ll likely be Hill

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I just heard the fsu announcers say that coach Hall said he doesn’t have the pitching “dudes” as they said that defense and hitting are there…

Who’s job is to recruit…

Asking for a friend…