@FSU Baseball

How many games will GT win @FSU? Assume 3 games played!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
In chat... someone said he got hurt pre-game per radio(?) broadcast. No more info than that.
Took a line drive in pre game practice from what I heard.

Supposed to be back tomorrow. Fingers crossed. We definitely need him. Carson is the future but we NEED Payton now.

I think Green could've had a really good game against Arnold. It's a shame that he experienced a freak accident.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not exactly sure why, but I think this is the worst I have felt after a loss this season other than the BC series. I just have this nagging feeling that we had a chance, played pretty good ball, and yet still lost. Hopefully tomorrow can right the ship. I think the issue in my mind is that we lost (not too surprising) while Louisville took 2 from Notre Dame, and now all of a sudden they are ahead of us. I had pretty much written them off. We have 4 games left, need 2 of them (IMO), and will likely be the team with the worse record in all four games.

It's probably obvious, but personally I would much rather get run ruled and look horrible in the process than I would play well and still lose. I think its because, when we lose badly because we played poorly I know that we can correct that and recover. When we play pretty well and still lose, that makes me think maybe were gonna need some help from the other team.

Somebody talk me off the ledge!!!! :confused:

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Gtbeak

I agree. That was a loss where we had many chances to seize control but couldn’t get it done and fsu finally took over

This was definitely a winnable game

We hit Armold most of the night but just failed with risp.

Offensively we will be fine but I just don’t think we can caveman baseball this fsu team so Cam , Tate and the pen will actually have to keep us in the game.

Better get up on them early in game 2 or it could be a rough day

I actually think we are just as talented as they are offensively but the pitching just isn’t where it needs to be and that is the elephant in the room for this series and a possible regional

Last edited:

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Fin can get a lot of outs but he also gives up loads of homers.
Yeah, earlier in the year there were multiple discussions about several of our guys being “pitch to contact guys” and how that was what you needed in college ball. I never bought into that conversation. Pitch to contact equates to wait for a mistake. We’ve seen it with our starters and relievers. They will be cruising then leave a couple of cement mixers up in th e zone and BOOM. Also, it can be problematic when you get to two strikes as well and can’t put the batters away (which wasn’t a problem last night, but earlier in the season seemed like a huge problem.

I’ve never tried to hit a 90MPH fastball, and it doesn’t seem like the difference between 90 and 94 would make much difference, but it seems like 96 on the black is virtually unhittable while 91 frequently gets turned into base hits or worse. I know it’s more complex than just a reading on the radar gun (movement, other array of pitches, ability to locate) but the differentiator that is most discussed and obvious is speed.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
The good news is our players have more belief than most of us. That's how it should be. They'll flush/learn from last night... just based on that, I expect a split or a sweep by Ga Tech today.
Personally I think they sweep the dh today

They went toe to toe with one of the best pitchers in the acc and did just fine. If they convert with risp, it’s a completely different discussion today

I think our offense is better than fsu

Go get em boys

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not exactly sure why, but I think this is the worst I have felt after a loss this season other than the BC series. I just have this nagging feeling that we had a chance, played pretty good ball, and yet still lost. Hopefully tomorrow can right the ship. I think the issue in my mind is that we lost (not too surprising) while Louisville took 2 from Notre Dame, and now all of a sudden they are ahead of us. I had pretty much written them off. We have 4 games left, need 2 of them (IMO), and will likely be the team with the worse record in all four games.

It's probably obvious, but personally I would much rather get run ruled and look horrible in the process than I would play well and still lose. I think its because, when we lose badly because we played poorly I know that we can correct that and recover. When we play pretty well and still lose, that makes me think maybe were gonna need some help from the other team.

Somebody talk me off the ledge!!!! :confused:

I'll tell you why I don't feel as bad about the loss last night as BC. No where close.

We were in the game and fighting back throughout. We left 12 on (fsu 7). Our RISP was 200 versus 267 BA. (I believe RISP is mean reverting.)

fsu threw two of their best, Arnold and reliever Oxford had 48 pitches and won't be available today. Those two have pitched 28% of their total innings this year; remaining team ERA rises to 5.4. This is what they have left. Good but not Friday night shutdown:

So we need the cavemen to come out and play today. Playing both games today (assuming the rain holds off) is good for both teams to have an extra day off before the ACCT.

Feel better?

1715948391280.png

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, earlier in the year there were multiple discussions about several of our guys being “pitch to contact guys” and how that was what you needed in college ball. I never bought into that conversation. Pitch to contact equates to wait for a mistake. We’ve seen it with our starters and relievers. They will be cruising then leave a couple of cement mixers up in th e zone and BOOM. Also, it can be problematic when you get to two strikes as well and can’t put the batters away (which wasn’t a problem last night, but earlier in the season seemed like a huge problem.

I’ve never tried to hit a 90MPH fastball, and it doesn’t seem like the difference between 90 and 94 would make much difference, but it seems like 96 on the black is virtually unhittable while 91 frequently gets turned into base hits or worse. I know it’s more complex than just a reading on the radar gun (movement, other array of pitches, ability to locate) but the differentiator that is most discussed and obvious is speed.
You may be referring to me regarding pitch to contact but let me be very clear.

I’d much rather have Zach Maxwell on the mound.

Unfortunately we don’t have guys like Arnold, Chase Burns, Knaack, or Leiter.

Reason I like Cam and Aeden is they throw strikes which has been a HUGE problem at tech for years.

Give up a solo shot and that’s fine. Aeden gave up 3 of those last night vs three walks in an inning and then allow a 3 run hr or a grand slam. Even the best pitchers can give up a moon shot when the batter knows a 96 mph is coming.

It’s why I think Tate and Riley Stanford have more upside. Tate is learning to pitch in college.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll tell you why I don't feel as bad about the loss last night as BC. No where close.

We were in the game and fighting back throughout. We left 12 on (fsu 7). Our RISP was 200 versus 267 BA. (I believe RISP is mean reverting.)

fsu threw two of their best, Arnold and reliever Oxford had 48 pitches and won't be available today. Those two have pitched 28% of their total innings this year; remaining team ERA rises to 5.4. This is what they have left. Good but not Friday night shutdown:

So we need the cavemen to come out and play today. Playing both games today (assuming the rain holds off) is good for both teams to have an extra day off before the ACCT.

Feel better?

View attachment 16173
Thanks Nuke! It does help to realize that we saw their best last night.

For the record, I definitely felt worse about the BC losses than I do about last night's loss. As I said, "other than the BC series". I was thinking more about the loss in Game 1 to Virginia Tech, the mid-week loss to Auburn, and the Saturday loss to Duke, fairly recent examples of games where the GTSwarm community seemed to generally be more upset than I was.