Conference Realignment

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
FSU was dominant in those years, but other ACC teams were also ranked during that period. FSU was a national power. Not just an ACC power.
Like how many SEC trams have beaten UGA the last 5 years? Here’s the list:
2023: Alabama
2022:
2021: Alabama (NC)
2020: Florida
2019: S Carolina, LSU (NC)

Clearly, this shows how crappy the SEC is. UGA and the dwarfs.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This quote was in a front page article on the Washington Post this morning:

"The network’s [ESPN] subscriber tally has dropped from nearly 100 million homes a decade ago to 73 million these days."

Maybe our long term contract ain't so bad after all.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

"The network’s [ESPN] subscriber tally has dropped from nearly 100 million homes a decade ago to 73 million these days."

This is my long-term take on this. It is also why I think sEcSPN has been pushing this envelope so hard. Their association with Disney, who has transformed into a dog, has hurt them precisely at the time folks are wising up and cutting the cord. It’s a business model that appears to me to be either on the flat or maybe even the downside of the S-curve. They’re jacking up CFB to squeeze out every dime they can.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Indrpendents were the best in 1990. 3 of the top 6 and 4 of the top 11. LOL. The ACC had 2 top 10. No one else had more than 1. So ok for the ACC but Independents we’re the best. Miami, FSU, ND and Penn State were the 4.
I just remember the SEC champ struggling to beat Virginia who were without their QB and best player.

But, yeah, ACC was best conference by far that year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I wonder when they will try to renegotiate the current contract?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This is my long-term take on this. It is also why I think sEcSPN has been pushing this envelope so hard. Their association with Disney, who has transformed into a dog, has hurt them precisely at the time folks are wising up and cutting the cord. It’s a business model that appears to me to be either on the flat or maybe even the downside of the S-curve. They’re jacking up CFB to squeeze out every dime they can.
I think sooner vs. later, the ACC Network and the SEC network will be an add on subscription to ESPN. If ESPN is required to get the conference networks it would be additional revenue.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think sooner vs. later, the ACC Network and the SEC network will be an add on subscription to ESPN. If ESPN is required to get the conference networks it would be additional revenue.
It’s the way of all things. Get people hooked and raise the price.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
I just remember the SEC champ struggling to beat Virginia who were without their QB and best player.

But, yeah, ACC was best conference by far that year.

The ACC definitely WAS strong in 1990. It is also easy to see/prove that was an outlier; look at the 37 years before and the 33 years since.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Hard to say.

ESPN total average viewership was 2,210,000 in 2013 when carriage fees were $5.54 a month. Today, ESPN is averaging 2,800,000 in viewership and $9.42 a month in fees. It is second only to two news channels.

I think Disney will take its time to move to streaming. My understanding is that ESPN is losing the least of the major channels on cable because whether someone watches it or not, it still has huge leverage.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The ACC definitely WAS strong in 1990. It is also easy to see/prove that was an outlier; look at the 37 years before and the 33 years since.
But what happened before or after should not have colored the results of 1990.

But it did.

Tech was rated the underdog against Nebraska after having an undefeated season, and, even after Tech destroyed Nebraska, way too many voters voted against Tech for National Champions, losing the UPI vote and barely squeaking in with the AP vote.

That result alone was enough to convince me that all earlier assessments of the ACC were seriously biased. And it has since proven that all future assessments after that year were seriously flawed.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I believe it's clear that the SEC has generally been the stronger of the two conferences.
Two of the exceptions are 1990, when the Jackets deserved the unshared title and this past season when FSU deserved a shot at one.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I believe it's clear that the SEC has generally been the stronger of the two conferences.
Two of the exceptions are 1990, when the Jackets deserved the unshared title and this past season when FSU deserved a shot at one.
Regardless of how strong the SEC is, was, or is not, it is also abundantly clear that the negative narrative about the ACC continues to haunt the perception of pundits even when the conference is good or particular teams are good.

Clemson was an underdog in three playoffs, including two national championships they won and a third championship game they barely lost.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow

But it did.

Tech was rated the underdog against Nebraska after having an undefeated season, and, even after Tech destroyed Nebraska, way too many voters voted against Tech for National Champions, losing the UPI vote and barely squeaking in with the AP vote.

That result alone was enough to convince me that all earlier assessments of the ACC were seriously biased. And it has since proven that all future assessments after that year were seriously flawed.

Just to make sure I understand you:
One season's results on the field should negate & overule everything else that has happened in 70 years of ACC football.
Correct?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

But it did.

Tech was voted No.1 by UPI (coaches' poll). and, the ACC was determined to be the top conference by Sagarin.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
One season's results on the field should negate & overule everything else that has happened in 70 years of ACC football.
Correct?
When I'm assigning a grade to a student in my class, this semester, who is on the borderline between an A and B, I damn sure don't look at their transcript and say, "Gee, they've been a consistent C-minus student in all their other classes, in past semesters. I'm going to give them a C because they are obviously a crummy student."

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Correct?
I just listed above where the ACC has usually had at least 3-4 teams ranked at EOY almost every year since 2004. That’s some good teams virtually every year, and that doesn’t include Tech’s two 9-win seasons in 2006 and 2016 when we weren’t ranked. Those were both good teams.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tech was voted No.1 by UPI (coaches' poll). and, the ACC was determined to be the top conference by Sagarin.
That’s right I forgot UPI was the coach’s poll. That was the one where the SEC coaches all voted against Tech and uga didn’t vote Tech in the top 5.

Sagarin, AP, and some coaches, were off by a mile that year. Wonder how many other times they’ve gotten wrong.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
"Gee, they've been a consistent C-minus student in all their other classes, in past semesters. I'm going to give them a C because they are obviously a crummy student."
Now admit it, almost everyone that read this nodded and said, "that's exactly how I got out."

Uh Huh Yes GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment