Conference Realignment

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
At my house, all of the ESPN stations just went off the Air. My carrier is Spectrum. A message came up saying that Disney was asking for a major increase and that Spectrum was in negotiations with Disney to obtain a fair price for Spectrum customers. I had been watching the Utah-FL and WF-Elon games. Timing is really crazy!!

I Hope they resolve this soon!!

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
At my house, all of the ESPN stations just went off the Air. My carrier is Specturm. A message came up saying that Disney was asking for a major increase and that Specturm was in negotiations with Disney to obtain a fair price for Specturm customers. I had been watching the Utah-FL and WF-Elon games. Timing is really crazy!!
ESPN times their contracts to try to have the most impact, so they can dictate pricing. With all of the cord cutting, I dummy think it will be too many more years before some cable company just says fine we won't offer ESPN any more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
ESPN times their contracts to try to have the most impact, so they can dictate pricing. With all of the cord cutting, I dummy think it will be too many more years before some cable company just says fine we won't offer ESPN any more.

Bob Iger just recently reiterated that he wants ESPN to go completely streaming at some point. I think that's the next evolution of conference realignment and probably all sports. The only way to watch your favorite teams will be to pay a monthly rate for ESPN or FOX Sports. Since FOX will be partnered with the B1G, ESPN the SEC/BIG12/ACC, that's pretty much every major college fan base. That's not including whatever the NFL/NBA/MLB/MLS/NHL have strategically planned along with their media partners. Fans will either have to pay, or wait and watch the highlights on Youtube.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Will NC State remain UNCs flunkie?
The less accomplished sibling is always treated as a follower

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOL, gotta give it to UNC's admins credit for being honest, that last sentence pretty much sums up how they've treated the ACC. That's the flagship program of the ACC GT and Peterson tied our future to.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
ACC schools are really really bad at understanding the PR benefits of a united front and the long term strategy aspects of not infighting in public in the face of uncertainty. If UNC is certain that they’ll have a better option in 2036 they aren’t paying enough attention to what’s happening in the TV world.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tony Latimore on how the talent levels stack up for the potential newcomers.

Keep in mind when I look at things like this I don't assume because 1 program is like a couple of points higher than another that they are more talented. I tend to think in terms of talent equivalency. Are schools basically in ranges where you can say their talent is pretty similar. From a GT perspective there are some ACC schools that clearly have more overall talent (Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC), there are some that have less talent (BC, Duke, Syr, Wake, UVA, VT) and then there are some that are in the same general level of talent (Pitt, L'ville, NCST).

It looks like SMU and Stanford would have similar talent levels to GT and frankly I see them as having similar ceilings to GT. Cal in a little lower. I'd expect SMU to be competitive in the ACC from day 1. Stanford is rebuilding but has been successful in the past (sound familiar) and Cal is generally a lesser FB program.

Interestingly, Cal has a winning record, if I recall correctly, against Georgia, Auburn and Arkansas, and I think they’re tied all time in their series with Tennessee and LSU.

Of course Tech is 1-0 against the Golden Bears in the famous Riegle wrong way run Rose Bowl game.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Complaining about money while refusing additional TV money along with the opportunity to make even more. Got it.

If there’s one thing you can learn from our magnificent ACC leaders, it’s that complaining about problems might solve them? Idk?

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course Tech is 1-0 against the Golden Bears in the famous Riegle wrong way run Rose Bowl game.

Actually, the all-time football record with Cal is 4-3 in their favor. I actually attended the last game in ATL on 9/16/1978 when they defeated us 34-22. It was our home opener that year.

Though the travel would be a challenge, it would be good to have some West Coast rivals.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My guess is that UNC's main objection is that expansion would further dilute their power within the conference. IMO, that's the best feature of this proposal...
The UNC women's soccer coach has been very vocal that he does not want the problems and expense of traveling to the west coast. His statement was " let the west coast schools wither on the vine".

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I hate this. Just stupid. So not bringing them on is going to solve the income disparity? ACC will regret not taking 3 fine institutions someday. FSU and UNC can go ......... themselves.
FSU and UNC are like children throwing temper tantrums, actively wanting to damage the conference and ensure it's destruction by 2036 if their demands aren't fully met.

There should be a conference bylaw against harming the perception of the conference like this, with heavy monetary penalties.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FSU and UNC are like children throwing temper tantrums, actively wanting to damage the conference and ensure it's destruction by 2036 if their demands aren't fully met.
The UNC BOT has been quiet through these discussions while the vote appeared to be against expansion. Suddenly, the day before a supposedly positive vote, this "letter" was published. This board has been very controversial in their attempts to remove what they perceive to be "liberal" faculty and deans. I don't know if any of this is linked, but it stinks to high heaven in its timing. The buzz around NC is that NC State flipped. I think that's based on the assumption that FSU and Clemson are solid against.

My neighbor's source in the AA has gone silent this week. That may be nothing more than the focus on preparing for the game in Charlotte tomorrow. But, UNC and NC State fans don't like each in normal times. If State flipped it will get worse. It seems clear that Phillips' desire for a unanimous vote is trash.