Conference Realignment

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see a world in which ND comes to the ACC, but I do wonder if we could coax another annual game out of them as part of the scheduling agreement. That's strong inventory for the ACC.

It could be Stanford in years where they play in Palo Alto and another team in years where the game is in South Bend.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't see a world in which ND comes to the ACC, but I do wonder if we could coax another annual game out of them as part of the scheduling agreement. That's strong inventory for the ACC.

It could be Stanford in years where they play in Palo Alto and another team in years where the game is in South Bend.
U can t get eagles to flock.

I like you way of describing how we start w flexibility in schedule. Maybe add Navy ( ND football was about to go out of business in WW2, but navy was generous and played them). i would love to see navy army get some "acc schdeule flexibility" verses FCS or G5 instead of teams no one has ever hesrd of. ( Went to last years Army Navy - freezing cold but totally packed - loser made one mistake) .

Acc could let some other programs that have earned top billing -have schedule flexibility byto drop an acc game and prompt a rival - say clemson drops gt and plays south carolina. Then every ones happy!
Acc needs to demonstrate to TV folks that we are flexible about getting quality games on tv.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
U can t get eagles to flock.

I like you way of describing how we start w flexibility in schedule. Maybe add Navy ( ND football was about to go out of business in WW2, but navy was generous and played them). i would love to see navy army get some "acc schdeule flexibility" verses FCS or G5 instead of teams no one has ever hesrd of. ( Went to last years Army Navy - freezing cold but totally packed - loser made one mistake) .

Acc could let some other programs that have earned top billing -have schedule flexibility byto drop an acc game and prompt a rival - say clemson drops gt and plays south carolina. Then every ones happy!
Acc needs to demonstrate to TV folks that we are flexible about getting quality games on tv.
Clemson does play south Carolina every year just like we play UGA.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

ND is contractually obligated to play five ACC games per year. Home or away, still obligated to play five games. If Stanford joins, that should at least bump up to six so that the rest of the ACC doesn't lose a game. Whether the Stanford game is in Indiana or California, ND should still play five other ACC teams in my opinion.

gtjackets930

Jolly Good Fellow
ND is contractually obligated to play five ACC games per year. Home or away, still obligated to play five games. If Stanford joins, that should at least bump up to six so that the rest of the ACC doesn't lose a game. Whether the Stanford game is in Indiana or California, ND should still play five other ACC teams in my opinion.
Agreed, I'm saying they should bump it to 6 to give the ACC a larger inventory of big games against ND, particularly since they are the ones pushing the ACC to add.

The point about home/away was around which conference owns the TV rights for the game.

ND's 6th ACC game should be Stanford in years where the ACC owns the rights to that game. It should be another team in years where it doesn't.

Essentially, if they want us to add Cal and Stanford, they need to deepen the relationship so the ACC can benefit from the ND relationship more.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
ND needs to play FSU and Clemson every year until they either join or get out. One of the 3 is odd man out in the playoff. FSU needs a dose of reality that they don't run the ACC .

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
A quick fix. Once the new threesome are in the fold, 11 or 12 conference game schedule. ND would have a tough time with their schedule going forward.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
ND needs to play FSU and Clemson every year until they either join or get out. One of the 3 is odd man out in the playoff. FSU needs a dose of reality that they don't run the ACC .
I’d rather an ACC team provide that dose of reality. I hope we’re the guys to do it, too!
ND certainly needs to “up their ante” with regard to the ACC but I don’t want to rely on them to do our dirty work! ;)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The value of the ACC Network is estimated to be around $268 million per year and based on the assumption that there are roughly 29 million cable and satellite subscribers in the nine ACC states, and that the network could get $1 a month from each of them.

The ACCN is a distributor of content. So do a net present value calculation and let FSU or Clemson determine how much of a share they want to buy and let them buy it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My take on this is that Stanford is already a regular ND opponent, so including them as the 6th opponent in a 6-game requirement is a gift to ND. They get something without giving up anything. My preference is to stipulate that Stanford cannot count as the 6th game until after 2036, and that ND needs to add a 6th ACC game beginning in 2024.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The value of the ACC Network is estimated to be around $268 million per year and based on the assumption that there are roughly 29 million cable and satellite subscribers in the nine ACC states, and that the network could get $1 a month from each of them.

The ACCN is a distributor of content. So do a net present value calculation and let FSU or Clemson determine how much of a share they want to buy and let them buy it.
I guess I'm missing something, but doesn't 29 million x $1/month x 12 months = 348 million dollars per year? What happened to the other $80 million?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I guess I'm missing something, but doesn't 29 million x $1/month x 12 months = 348 million dollars per year? What happened to the other $80 million?
Operating costs are about $100 million. Outkick estimates it as 29 million subs and $1 each. Others value is slightly more in subs but a lower earn rate. Call it between $250M and $300M depending on who is doing the math.

Point is the same though. If FSU wants more, let them buy more. Up front.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Tangential thought line. If we pick up another committed ACC game from ND, how does that fit in with their negotiations for their own potential TV deal? Would that only leave 6 games that aren't ACC content games to broadcast? There comes a point where it's more profitable to be on the ACC contract. I'm just not sure where the numbers will land that dictate the outcome.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Tangential thought line. If we pick up another committed ACC game from ND, how does that fit in with their negotiations for their own potential TV deal? Would that only leave 6 games that aren't ACC content games to broadcast? There comes a point where it's more profitable to be on the ACC contract. I'm just not sure where the numbers will land that dictate the outcome.
The games at ND are broadcast under the ND contract with NBC. The games that ND plays at ACC teams is broadcast by ESPN under the ACC contract. Playing more games against ACC teams wouldn't change the broadcast contracts for either ND or the ACC teams. It would make the ACC slate of games more attractive, and would provide more ticket money for ACC teams.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Operating costs are about $100 million. Outkick estimates it as 29 million subs and $1 each. Others value is slightly more in subs but a lower earn rate. Call it between $250M and $300M depending on who is doing the math.

Point is the same though. If FSU wants more, let them buy more. Up front.
Investing in shares? Interesting....The one pitfall to that is the additional investment would come with a demand of additional influence. 15 equal votes would have to be split into shares so the higher investors have greater influence.

I’d go the other way. FSU doesn’t want investment in the ACC... they believe they are above it. If they think they’re worth so much, I’d tell them to invest in themselves... net present value of what they bring to the ACC deal plus $100m buyout and let them walk. They’re leaving in the 2030s anyway. Put their money where their mouths are and get gone.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My take on this is that Stanford is already a regular ND opponent, so including them as the 6th opponent in a 6-game requirement is a gift to ND. They get something without giving up anything. My preference is to stipulate that Stanford cannot count as the 6th game until after 2036, and that ND needs to add a 6th ACC game beginning in 2024.
I'm sort of in between these two.

My thought was let them add a 6th ACC game and guarantee it will be one of Stanford or Cal. Since they play Stanford every year that means they get Stanford as an ACC game every other year and can schedule them as an OOC opponent in the non-Stanford ACC years.

As much as I dislike the schools athletic programs ND has been a good addition to the ACC. Their addition increased what ESPN was willing to pay ACC, and under their current FB contract ND actually makes less than they would make if they had joined the ACC full time. (That is likely to change if they get close to what they are seeking from NBC). ND has always been willing to receive less revenue in exchange for a wider distribution (ie. nationally broadcast games on a major network). That's why the independence for them is so important - they can say they stand alone and they get a better distribution than if they joined a conference as every home game is a national broadcast.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tony Latimore on how the talent levels stack up for the potential newcomers.

Keep in mind when I look at things like this I don't assume because 1 program is like a couple of points higher than another that they are more talented. I tend to think in terms of talent equivalency. Are schools basically in ranges where you can say their talent is pretty similar. From a GT perspective there are some ACC schools that clearly have more overall talent (Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC), there are some that have less talent (BC, Duke, Syr, Wake, UVA, VT) and then there are some that are in the same general level of talent (Pitt, L'ville, NCST).

It looks like SMU and Stanford would have similar talent levels to GT and frankly I see them as having similar ceilings to GT. Cal in a little lower. I'd expect SMU to be competitive in the ACC from day 1. Stanford is rebuilding but has been successful in the past (sound familiar) and Cal is generally a lesser FB program.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Tony Latimore on how the talent levels stack up for the potential newcomers.

Keep in mind when I look at things like this I don't assume because 1 program is like a couple of points higher than another that they are more talented. I tend to think in terms of talent equivalency. Are schools basically in ranges where you can say their talent is pretty similar. From a GT perspective there are some ACC schools that clearly have more overall talent (Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC), there are some that have less talent (BC, Duke, Syr, Wake, UVA, VT) and then there are some that are in the same general level of talent (Pitt, L'ville, NCST).

It looks like SMU and Stanford would have similar talent levels to GT and frankly I see them as having similar ceilings to GT. Cal in a little lower. I'd expect SMU to be competitive in the ACC from day 1. Stanford is rebuilding but has been successful in the past (sound familiar) and Cal is generally a lesser FB program.

I was surprised to see SMU so high, their hs recruiting is not very good on average (only 2 4 stars in the last 5 years, some pretty low rated classes). But checking the talent composite it looks like they have a former 5 star running back and a bunch of former 4 star guys that transferred in.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC presidents phone call in the AM according to Andrea Adelson. Also, Mark Packer discussed the meeting with Wake Forest Athletic Director on ACCN. He gave no additional information.

Last edited: