Baye Declares for NBA; Retaining Eligibility

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He played today; I watched part of the game on YouTube. Was not the best center on their team, the guy from Florida State was
Some thoughts. Centers are diminished in importance in the NBA and Baye was playing the 5 today. He is pretty good at that position, but needs to be a four if he is hoping to be drafted. The guys in the camp are nowhere close to the players in the NBA, so he needed to be a much bigger deal than he showed today. He did not play badly, but the style of play in these games does not highlight how important he can be in an offense or defense. Baba Miller was pretty impressive. So were Arthur Kaluma and Keion Brooks. Very little teamwork on either end. Strictly playground.

As I stated earlier, no one really stood out in this game. The starters on team 3 played almost twice the minutes as the subs. How the starters were chosen is a mystery, but Baye was a starter. He made some nice plays, but I would not have said he was a standout. Team four was a guard focused team. None of their forwards played very well IMHO.

Did anyone watch the 1st game?

When you think about how these players were chosen - by votes from NBA teams - guys needed to do something big (or pretty big) to move into the top 78. Or 80ish. None of the guys I saw in the 2nd game today showed enough to catch the eye of teams that ignored them in the initial voting. Was Baye in the top 6 or 8? Good question. Borderline in my view. But, I have been wrong before. Tag my Alvarado and Wright posts.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
5 assists. Most of anybody in the game including guards. That is his ability to make plays in the pick and roll game. Question will be can he play the five in the NBA against bigger people

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on nothing other than gut and projections, I think he’s 80% to return. I felt Okogie could be gone since he played tough D and his position was clear. Baye is more difficult to place in a spot; too small to play NBA 5, not a banging NBA 4, or a stretch 4. Returning another year could dramatically improve his ability to hit 15-19 footer, and showcase more off the bounce. However, this could be improved by being drafted. Is a team willing to use a pick on the gamble? Hoping not and he’s back for a year where he will absolutely thrive with talented height around him.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You have to consider the competition yesterday. Team Four was very weak inside. I don't know anything about Ryan Hammer and his opinions, but, as I said earlier, Ndongo had a nice game. Monster? Not at all. It is hard to know what these two teams were trying to do other than show off their individual abilities. It was basically a shirts and skins pickup game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You have to consider the competition yesterday. Team Four was very weak inside. I don't know anything about Ryan Hammer and his opinions, but, as I said earlier, Ndongo had a nice game. Monster? Not at all. It is hard to know what these two teams were trying to do other than show off their individual abilities. It was basically a shirts and skins pickup game.
Here is a 5 minute highlight video. None of Ndongo's blocks are shown.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
NBA scouts, I imagine, are pretty level headed and no-nonsense, but are there people / agents acting on behalf of different players to try to “sell” them on ability and potential? Just trying to figure out the “monster game” comment.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Whenever these really talented players get NBA interest and "test the waters", I figure they have one foot out the door and will leave in a heartbeat. I hope he stays at Tech but his actions say he is ready to move on given the chance. Davis at UNC is staying another year because he is not likely going to be a draft pick due to his size but will make more with NIL than playing in Europe or G league. NIL is not a real option for Baye.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Whenever these really talented players get NBA interest and "test the waters", I figure they have one foot out the door and will leave in a heartbeat. I hope he stays at Tech but his actions say he is ready to move on given the chance. Davis at UNC is staying another year because he is not likely going to be a draft pick due to his size but will make more with NIL than playing in Europe or G league. NIL is not a real option for Baye.
Baye will be our highest paid player next year, if he returns.