A reminder

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
screens catch blitzes...screens are about recognition. Our playside DE and OLB need to recognize those quick. The run defense part I am concerned with is in general we have struggled blocking zone teams and teams that power to one side...this year we have not done a great job of that.

what is the key for recognizing a screen pass?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
what is the key for recognizing a screen pass?

QB will take a much deeper slower drop to bait the rushers...the rushers have to see this and the fact the playside OL doesn't engage...
playside OT often cuts the playside DE (can be the TE doing this too)
GCG or OT-G-C will step one second and fake pass block and pull, the RB does about the same before releasing....the DL and LBs have to engage and read release to flow to the flats. The DT particularly has to do this, especially when the LBs are blitzing.

As a playside End need to defeat the cut, watch the Rback and roll to the edge.
as a OLB and MLB need to read the guard through to the RB...if you are blitzing and the G or C taps you and lets you go you need to peel off. The QB will continue to recede giving it away as well. Its really easy to see, If that GC doesn't engage and you are rushing and, the QB never plants, peel off. If you are not rushing as a LB need to flow to that edge fast by reading the guard to the RB...the second that guard releases need to beat him to the flat.

The playside CB if in man will try to get run out....with a 9 route...needs to turn his head, if he is in cover 2 or 3 needs to let that WR go and come up.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Three out of our last four wins against them have come at Sanford Stadium. It's not a huge sample, sure, and you have to go all the way back to '98, but it's worth noting. I'm actually a little more comfortable with this game being away from home. I hope our guys will be a little looser and have a bit more of a bunker mentality.
I just feel that Ugag plays a different style when at home. More intense and hyped up. Now that doesnt mean that we wont play that exact same way. It just means that we are going.to have to match that intensity and come with some heavy artillery

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Georgia's losses to South Carolina and Florida are evidence that you do not have to be a GREAT team to beat the mutts. Georgia can play remarkably weak sometimes. If they are looking ahead to the SECCG, they can taken.
Both losses were on the road or at a neutral field. Only Tennessee played them well in Sanford n sons stadium. Clemson did ok in the first half... but collapsed after that. I am of the opinion that at this point in the season. We are going to need a herculean team effort to pull this one out. Which I 100% believe this team can accomplish.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Both losses were on the road or at a neutral field. Only Tennessee played them well in Sanford n sons stadium. Clemson did ok in the first half... but collapsed after that. I am of the opinion that at this point in the season. We are going to need a herculean team effort to pull this one out. Which I 100% believe this team can accomplish.

I am with you...i think that we will have to play outside our bodies

Yes, our D has been showing signs of life. But, we are still to a degree who we are. We are a top 60 D. Not top20.

Our O is fine...I don't have issue...against UGA we need zero turnovers, limit penalties. Just do what we do, don't get over hyped.

But at the end of the day, we need to get like 2 turnovers and 3 stops vs UGA to win IMO. Or 5-6 stops and no turnovers. I just don't know if we got that.

But, thats why you play the game...and confidence means alot in football

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
For the D, I'm paying attention to the linebackers. We have plenty of speed in the secondary & stringing out plays to the edge in run support has been generally pretty good. In the open field, though, it's hard to tackle. We'll really need the LBs to make quick, accurate reads to tackle or slow down the screens and runs, as well as covering backs & TE in pass coverage. This is especially important because we're reliant on blitz to get up front pressure. Unfortunately, I think their scheme really attacks our weaknesses well. The good thing is we have plenty of time in film study to counteract this. I'm expecting a shootout, but we can do well on D if we are able to maintain field position, prevent long runs, and get a couple of sacks or penalties. I think we win the 3rd & long matchup on both sides of the ball.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
For the D, I'm paying attention to the linebackers. We have plenty of speed in the secondary & stringing out plays to the edge in run support has been generally pretty good. In the open field, though, it's hard to tackle. We'll really need the LBs to make quick, accurate reads to tackle or slow down the screens and runs, as well as covering backs & TE in pass coverage. This is especially important because we're reliant on blitz to get up front pressure. Unfortunately, I think their scheme really attacks our weaknesses well. The good thing is we have plenty of time in film study to counteract this. I'm expecting a shootout, but we can do well on D if we are able to maintain field position, prevent long runs, and get a couple of sacks or penalties. I think we win the 3rd & long matchup on both sides of the ball.

We have seen their scheme alot this year though; the problem is...and where I am with you...is we haven't done great against it....it may be our weakness's for sure...it could be a few things we have corrected though. As an example. I was really critical of Nealy early this year how he was playing inside zone...or traps...it was awful. Flat out awful. Sick

But, when I watch him play it now vs clemson. vs Pitt. vs UVA...much better. Much better look. Even the S coming up, much stronger. So something was corrected clearly....so this is positive.

Even Davis; when I look at him attacking the edge...much better...he is popping now..not reaching...again...something was fixed. The staff tweaked the scheme and did something to help these guys.

There is some optimism here. Just UGA OL is REALLY REALLY good at what they do. And they have seen far better D front 7 talent this year than we have....that worries me a ton.

We just need to keep their offense off the field. And we do that by sticking to our offensive strengths......long, slow, deliberate, methodical, clock-chewing drives for TD's. No 3 and outs, no punts, no FG's. A TD every time we get the ball. Do that, and we win.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am with you...i think that we will have to play outside our bodies

Yes, our D has been showing signs of life. But, we are still to a degree who we are. We are a top 60 D. Not top20.

Our O is fine...I don't have issue...against UGA we need zero turnovers, limit penalties. Just do what we do, don't get over hyped.

But at the end of the day, we need to get like 2 turnovers and 3 stops vs UGA to win IMO. Or 5-6 stops and no turnovers. I just don't know if we got that.

But, thats why you play the game...and confidence means alot in football

I was thinking about starting a new thread on the topic of our D, but I think you hit the key points here, so I'll just add on. Imo, we really did make some significant improvement on D but it's hard to completely parse out looking at typical stats like yards/play and 3rd down conv%, although we've probably done better against worse offenses than we were earlier in the season.

The key seems to be turnovers. We've gained 14 turnovers in the last 4 games, 10 in the previous 7, from .7/game to 3.5/game. This could be a function of the opposition; however, I think we have to say that a good chunk of it comes from a new aggressiveness and the emphasis being put on getting turnovers by Roof and his staff.

The bad news on this front is that georgie is #2 nationally in turnover margin, they've only lost 4 fumbles and 4 interceptions in their 11 games, including 1 of each against Charleston Sou last week. I think turning them over will be tough but will be key if we can get it done.

We have seen their scheme alot this year though; the problem is...and where I am with you...is we haven't done great against it....it may be our weakness's for sure...it could be a few things we have corrected though. As an example. I was really critical of Nealy early this year how he was playing inside zone...or traps...it was awful. Flat out awful. Sick

But, when I watch him play it now vs clemson. vs Pitt. vs UVA...much better. Much better look. Even the S coming up, much stronger. So something was corrected clearly....so this is positive.

Even Davis; when I look at him attacking the edge...much better...he is popping now..not reaching...again...something was fixed. The staff tweaked the scheme and did something to help these guys.

There is some optimism here. Just UGA OL is REALLY REALLY good at what they do. And they have seen far better D front 7 talent this year than we have....that worries me a ton.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what we can do with Freeman, Gotsis, Green, and Gamble. I think that front 4 with Nealy, Davis, and Marcordes may be able to get some of the stops we need. If we can pressure them to throw, Milton, Golden, and White have been playing really well.

Go Jackets!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
if they've only turned it over 4 times this year then i say they are WAY overdue for a few, and if our guys are good at one thing it's creating turnovers.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what we can do with Freeman, Gotsis, Green, and Gamble.
As good as he's looked playing end, putting Gamble there makes me nervous. It basically leaves us with only Kallon to spell Gotsis or Green. Against UGA's OL, I want to have as much depth at DT as possible for 60 minutes. A big reason we caved last year was our DL just flat got worn down. I'd be more comfortable with using a platoon of the young guys (Rook-Chungong, Simmons, etc.) opposite Freeman

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
As good as he's looked playing end, putting Gamble there makes me nervous. It basically leaves us with only Kallon to spell Gotsis or Green. Against UGA's OL, I want to have as much depth at DT as possible for 60 minutes. A big reason we caved last year was our DL just flat got worn down. I'd be more comfortable with using a platoon of the young guys (Rook-Chungong, Simmons, etc.) opposite Freeman
I agree with this somewhat. UGag likes the toss plays ALOT. Were going to need Gambles beefiness to help set an edge. Otherwise its gonna look alot like the Falcons run D with Biermann.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The more I read these threads, the more I believe we have a very unrealistic fan base, but I guess that is why fan is short for "fanatic".

Pros for us winning:
  • We have a team that is in the truest sense of the word "team". These guys like each other, and they are willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.
  • Our coaches are better...bottom line.
  • We are due against these guys, although I am not sure this means that much
  • We have the better all-around QB
  • We have the best WR that will play in the game
Cons for us winning:

• UGAG has better and deeper talent, and especially in their front 7 on D, and I really don't think it is close
  • Their O-line is the most deep and experienced it has been at any time I can remember in our series, and they are good. (It is true that ours is the best one we have fielded in a long time, also)
  • At their place - between the hedges (yeah, I remember 2008, but that kind of thing isn't likely again...it was magical with a special group of guys...Dwyer, Burnett, and Nesbitt)
  • That is about all I have for the cons, but that first one is a doozie....
Can we win? Heck yes, we can. Will we? Well, it will take a special effort on Saturday for it to happen, but I will be rooting for my Jackets no matter what. I just don't want people's hopes getting way too high, just to see them dashed..... Maybe, that is how some of you roll. But, I would rather take the less optimistic side, and then be pleasantly surprised.....

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The more I read these threads, the more I believe we have a very unrealistic fan base, but I guess that is why fan is short for "fanatic".

Pros for us winning:
  • We have a team that is in the truest sense of the word "team". These guys like each other, and they are willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.
  • Our coaches are better...bottom line.
  • We are due against these guys, although I am not sure this means that much
  • We have the better all-around QB
  • We have the best WR that will play in the game
Cons for us winning:

• UGAG has better and deeper talent, and especially in their front 7 on D, and I really don't think it is close
  • Their O-line is the most deep and experienced it has been at any time I can remember in our series, and they are good. (It is true that ours is the best one we have fielded in a long time, also)
  • At their place - between the hedges (yeah, I remember 2008, but that kind of thing isn't likely again...it was magical with a special group of guys...Dwyer, Burnett, and Nesbitt)
  • That is about all I have for the cons, but that first one is a doozie....
Can we win? Heck yes, we can. Will we? Well, it will take a special effort on Saturday for it to happen, but I will be rooting for my Jackets no matter what. I just don't want people's hopes getting way too high, just to see them dashed..... Maybe, that is how some of you roll. But, I would rather take the less optimistic side, and then be pleasantly surprised.....
Im the same way. Cautiously optimistic. But I dont believe the gaggers talent is that much higher than ours this season. They do have alot more depth than we do though. I dont see any one guy on thst defense that I look at and say "Wow they are special". Their LBs are pretty stout... but other than that I havent been impressed. Now that offense has some playmakers all over the field. As well as the best O-line they have fielded in a long while. This is usually a huge weakness for them. Chubb is a hoss that will need to be gang tackled to bring down. If our defense plays even remotely well... we should be in store for a damn good ball game. THWg

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@AlabamaBuzz - all of your points are valid.
I think we can run against them and hopefully hit a couple of big passes. My concerns is our Defense. IF we can get force a combination of punts and TOs that totals at least 5 or 6, we have a good chance to win.