2023 Coaching Carousel

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I'd take Dabo in a New York minute. He's a great recruiter, he can work with players and keep the portal drain reasonable, and he knows enough to hire good assistants to do the heavy lifting for him. He's also a decent game day coach; as least as good as Saban, anyway. But … probably not.

I think the obvious choice would be Kirby and I wouldn't be surprised if Bama and Ugag get into a full scale bidding war for him. I don't think all this "old school tie" business would count if Bama came after him and had the pockets. But we'll just have to wait.
Dabo would be more successful than Sark, Kiffin, or anyone not named Kirby.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Going to be interesting to see who gets that job. It is one of the best jobs in college football with really deep pockets - but you are also following the GOAT - who wants to take on that challenge?
You will have all the resources you need, but also be constantly compared to who came before you.
All of us over a certain age have seen this movie before. the right move is to replace the guy who replaced the GUY. I would sit this out as it is a no-win situation unless you are strictly motivated by the bottom line. OTOH, anyone in the conversation to replace the GOAT is already set up finanacially for at least the nest 2-3 generations to come.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
All of us over a certain age have seen this movie before. the right move is to replace the guy who replaced the GUY. I would sit this out as it is a no-win situation unless you are strictly motivated by the bottom line. OTOH, anyone in the conversation to replace the GOAT is already set up finanacially for at least the nest 2-3 generations to come.
Upon reconsideration, I'll do it for just HALF of what the GOAT was making! Where do I sign up?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Upon reconsideration, I'll do it for just HALF of what the GOAT was making! Where do I sign up?
I want to be considerate of your feelings and all of that so I am a bit unsure how to phrase my response. But with that being said, people who are used to REALLY nice things aren't shopping based on price. That's what we who post on message boards do. So your price tag has eliminated you from further consideration. You probably had a better chance if you had DEMANDED twice Saban's salary or you weren't interested. Keep this in mind when the job comes open in Athens or Columbus. ;)

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to be considerate of your feelings and all of that so I am a bit unsure how to phrase my response. But with that being said, people who are used to REALLY nice things aren't shopping based on price. That's what we who post on message boards do. So your price tag has eliminated you from further consideration. You probably had a better chance if you had DEMANDED twice Saban's salary or you weren't interested. Keep this in mind when the job comes open in Athens or Columbus. ;)
That's why you demand a 7 year contract with no offset. No, make it 10 for Bama!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's why you demand a 7 year contract with no offset.
That is what the smart guys do. Or else the ones who hire smart agents. However, something tells me that maybe Bama did not or does not put an idiot in charge of the athletics department....a mistake I have seen an unnamed "world class" school in Atlanta do. Multiple times unfortunately.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Apparently Saban wants to keep an office at the stadium and continue to have involvement in the program, no self-respecting established coach is going to walk into that situation.
I'm not a self-respecting coach, but I would gladly keep Saban around and get all the advice and help I can get. That may be the only way to come out alive from following him up.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Look, Kirby Smart is a maroon. That he can make $10-15M a year, or whatever, leading a bunch of neanderthals to play football for a university they barely attend is the height of silliness. I’m that close to declaring CFB dead.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Look, Kirby Smart is a maroon. That he can make $10-15M a year, or whatever, leading a bunch of neanderthals to play football for a university they barely attend is the height of silliness. I’m that close to declaring CFB dead.

Cfb died long ago, my guy. I can't tell if what we're watching is a zombie or Frankenstein's monster but I know it's ded.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Cfb died long ago, my guy. I can't tell if what we're watching is a zombie or Frankenstein's monster but I know it's ded.
You may well be right. However, I see the ACC with very high graduation rates for athletes and I know all is not lost. Then I see our champion unceremoniously excluded from the playoff and I know CFB is firmly in the hands of greedy opportunists and that its future is not bright. IIWII.