Would we really be that bad

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we went to a more traditional scheme with the athletes we got on offense? Our Oline recruits have got bigger and bigger. The receiving corp we have isn't that bad. We have some running backs that could play in any system. Lee would do great as a drop back passer. Only thing we lack is tight ends. I'm just not so sure if a coaching change was made would we be so bad.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't Vad's not good enough at passing for us do anything else that is more pass oriented.

Then take Vad out of the equation and think about it with a new QB. Boomer is right. If we were to go to a shotgun-oriented spread similar to what Auburn runs, the personnel requirements aren't that much different from what we have. We wouldn't need as many A-backs, so we would have to recruit more WR's. Other than that, the biggest difference would be our OL would need to be taught to zone block rather than so much cut blocking.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Then take Vad out of the equation and think about it with a new QB. Boomer is right. If we were to go to a shotgun-oriented spread similar to what Auburn runs, the personnel requirements aren't that much different from what we have. We wouldn't need as many A-backs, so we would have to recruit more WR's. Other than that, the biggest difference would be our OL would need to be taught to zone block rather than so much cut blocking.
I think a strong argument could be made that we were better zone blocking this year than cutting anyway.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Vad would do well in a run and shoot offense. He is a good passer, but all passers must be in an offense where they do this consistently in a game. Our quarterbacks pass little in games. If we had an offense of close to 50/50, I think Vad would be effective. He also has the speed from the shotgun position to run if he sees no open receivers. He might even turn into an effective run type quarterback if he is not retreating every down from under center. Again, at this time, a square peg in a round hole; it is not going to work.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Vad would do well in a run and shoot offense. He is a good passer, but all passers must be in an offense where they do this consistently in a game. Our quarterbacks pass little in games. If we had an offense of close to 50/50, I think Vad would be effective. He also has the speed from the shotgun position to run if he sees no open receivers. He might even turn into an effective run type quarterback if he is not retreating every down from under center. Again, at this time, a square peg in a round hole; it is not going to work.

I agree and I think we get to see very soon. I'm of the opinion that Vad will leave the program to go play elsewhere. If he does, we will get to see if the issue of throwing off the back foot so often was truly just a Vad issue or whether it was more of a function of the system we run.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think we could switch to a spread offense very easily and i think it is the best fit for our program, we can't consistently get the elite skill players needed to run a prostyle offense and beat football factories running pro style

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Would it be so freaking hard to mix in a little (or a lot!) of read option/ spread option out of the shotgun or pistol?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I agree and I think we get to see very soon. I'm of the opinion that Vad will leave the program to go play elsewhere. If he does, we will get to see if the issue of throwing off the back foot so often was truly just a Vad issue or whether it was more of a function of the system we run.

I do not understand why folks think Vad is going to leave. I might would think this is the case if he were the backup, but a starting QB transfering his RS Junior year is not common.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
How many big plays could we have made this year if the guys would make normal blocks instead of missing cut blocks? Our blocking has went downhill big time lately!

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I do not understand why folks think Vad is going to leave. I might would think this is the case if he were the backup, but a starting QB transfering his RS Junior year is not common.

I agree it isn't common but I still think it's going to happen.

Last edited:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
No not a traditional in the like of Stanford or Bama.
Definitely a spread shotgun based option like what Duke or BYU'S offense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'll take it a step further and say we are better suited to play out the gun than what we are currently doing.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think we would see a lot more gun reads if Vad could get the read correct. The reason we have went away from the gun us that Vad was missing the reads, and a lot of our playbook is less effective in the gun. If Vad can master the reads we will see more gun next year.

Another often overlooked aspect of the gun is that penetration by the D can result in a more negative play. To honest Chamberlain had a very difficult time picking up his assignment, and this could have been very bad if we were in the gun. -10 yds vs no gain.

Last edited:

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Would Vad go to a smaller school to play immediately or would he set one season and hope to win a starting job his senior season at say Duke?