Week 9 PPDvsPwr5 Rankings

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As I've discussed elsewhere, I calculate a Points/Drive vs Power5 opponents. I use cfbstats.com as the source of the data. I count all scrimmage offensive TD's as 7 pts. I ignore run-back TD's and any Safeties.

Typically, I only rank teams that have played at least 3 power-5 opponents, but I reduced that to at least 2 in order to see where Houston and Fresno State would show up.

upload_2018-10-30_14-33-52.png

By this PPDvPwr5, GT is #29 and BC is #35. Our future opponents are #51 UNC, #39 d'oh U, #19 UVA, and #9 georgie.

We are #8 Offense and #61 Defense.

Deleted member 2897

As I've discussed elsewhere, I calculate a Points/Drive vs Power5 opponents. I use cfbstats.com as the source of the data. I count all scrimmage offensive TD's as 7 pts. I ignore run-back TD's and any Safeties.

Typically, I only rank teams that have played at least 3 power-5 opponents, but I reduced that to at least 2 in order to see where Houston and Fresno State would show up.

View attachment 4379

By this PPDvPwr5, GT is #29 and BC is #35. Our future opponents are #51 UNC, #39 d'oh U, #19 UVA, and #9 georgie.

When you consider that BG/Louisville/VT we scored a Touchdown on something like 25 of 28 possessions, that just shows you how poorly we played against Duke, Clemson, and Pittsburgh. Even USF where we scored a lot, we only scored on like 6 of our 13 possessions (but had an interception, fumble, and loss of downs turnovers or we probably would have been like 8 of 13).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

View attachment 4379

This verifies my eyeball test of our remaining opponents.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
So we are better than our record shows?

Yes and no. We're better than the record shows, but we've also played defenses that give our offense the 104th easiest SOS so far (~26th easiest. Only team in the top 25 with easier offensive schedule so far is UCF at the 4th easiest). Our offense has been put up against the 75th (very average). The final teams we play against all have offenses and defenses better than what we've played on average, with the exception of UNC. Our stats indicate we should have been 5-3, but things like turnovers and special teams aren't accounted for in stats that can make huge impacts on individual games.