Virginia Tech Postgame

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Well, I was at a wedding for the entirety of the game. Turned off my phone at 7-0 for the ceremony and turned it back on to see 28-0. I have no clue what happened in this game and I'm not sure if I want to watch the replay to find out. Really bad loss. Curry blames himself and the other players' lack of execution in his post-game press conference, but I'm sure a lot of blame can be laid on the coaches as well. No one is free of criticism. Either way, put it behind us, focus on NC State.
One series we went from 2nd and inches to 4th and long by simply when all we needed was a QB sneak.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
This game is a tough one to swallow just as much as the season.
Coach hyped this season and sold us on a good vision, but so far we just haven't seen it yet. All I want from him is honesty I guess and him talking about how to fix this mess.
He's going to be our coach for at least the next 4 I don't see us firing him any time soon
He has to be given time to get his recruits and also the fact that we literally have no money. I'm very worried that it's pnut that's not up to par even though he's coached at this level before.
Someone needs to tell coach that we can't just brush off a Georgia shutout like today's game, he seems to not even care about winning and losing
Anyways I'm still on board but haven't been sold yet on what I'm seeing

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
This game is no different than any other. Until we can block and get off blocks we will lose. Score doesn’t matter. Recruiting is all that matters at this point because we have to bring in bigger/faster human beings. Collins can’t say what is obvious but we are going to see so much turnover over the next year and a half that it’s going to be crazy to keep up. No matter who we hired this year was gonna suck because no one can win without a QB and an OLine. It’s going to be fun watching this transformation.
I’m not having fun yet.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It’s not an excuse; it’s the truth. And even if it were an excuse, it doesn’t change the fact that since we’re getting all these awesome players, we should expect immediate results next year. No more five year plan!
th

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
First shut out at home since 1957?

It looked like the players were just not playing with a lot of passion to me. This is the first time this year that I thought they quit.

As Boomer pointed out we got whipped at the point of attack on both sides of the ball.

Looking forward, unless CGC pulls off a miracle, this isn’t going to change with the current group of recruits. He is recruiting some solid guys, but we are not going to be elite along the O line and that is what makes most offenses dominate.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And better recruiting does not fall under better coaches. Got it.

Not sure if you're being serious or not, but there have been a history of great recruiters who couldn't coach their team through an all you can eat buffet line.

Butch Jones springs to mind...

Now, that's not an indication that CGC is in that territory yet, as the sample size is way too small. Most people understood this season, and probably next year as well, was going to be bad, but I don't think they reallllly understood how bad bad was going to be...

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Well i can't defend the offense but i'm an optimist so this season is done and move on to the next which it'll get better cause we get new guys that didn't get a waiver or the new recruits and guys who were injured come back next season is a coin flip in making a bowl game

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I wasn't aware that CPJ was in the HOF. Pardon me for not knowing.

Regardless, maybe what CGC means is that he inherited a roster with about 6 linemen and 60 running backs, and is trying to change into something else.

Don't get your panties in such a wad.

The line about the greatest transition is college football history is 1) a direct shot at a HOF coach and 2) apparently a reference to going from a coach with a clue to one that has none.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if you're being serious or not, but there have been a history of great recruiters who couldn't coach their team through an all you can eat buffet line.

Butch Jones springs to mind...

Now, that's not an indication that CGC is in that territory yet, as the sample size is way too small. Most people understood this season, and probably next year as well, was going to be bad, but I don't think they reallllly understood how bad bad was going to be...
And that's the thing.
We are so quick to forget that a good majority of fans wanted to ditch the triple and get a younger , more energetic coacch that can recruit and runs a modern offense

And that's what We got

Long term in theory this will bring us back to the pre cpj years

If all we wanted is a replacement for CPj and a short term fix we would have hired another option coach, ga southern went this route for a bit

I don't think anyone expected us to be this bad this year mind you we didn't have a great season last year either

I just want Collins to own up to where we are at and stop acting like a blow out doesn't matter, stop joking around on the sidelines etc look like it's serious and just be honest with the fans and media

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
And that's the thing.
We are so quick to forget that a good majority of fans wanted to ditch the triple and get a younger , more energetic coacch that can recruit and runs a modern offense

And that's what We got

If all we wanted is a replacement for CPj and a short term fix we would have hired another option coach, ga southern went this route for a bit

I don't think anyone expected us to be this bad this year mind you we didn't have a great season last year either

I just want Collins to own up to where we are at and stop acting like a blow out doesn't matter, stop joking around on the sidelines etc look like it's serious and just be honest with the fans and media

A majority wanted to lose the option? Got any data to support that?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And that's the thing.

And that's what We got

I used to have a great deal of respect for the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team. Most years they were 5 out of 5 in their division. But also one of the few clubs that could make money in a small market.

I think it was Bud Selig who was the GM who said something to the effect that, "We cannot outbid the Yankees for talent. What we can do is find talent, develop and yes, they will leave in 3-5 years and earn big bucks with the Yankees. But, we will have a great club and provide a great baseball experience for our fans." And they did. Selig recognized the forces against them ... small market, no media presence, limited merchandising ... and devised a strategy to survive. I feel the same way about the Packers, but less so today.

The AA has not yet figured out the GT Way for football. They need to ask themselves, "How do we compete in a second tier P5 conference with limited resources and fanbase and tough academics?"

It is not by out Clemsoning Clemson.

At this point, I am totally fine with going 8-4 every year in football if there is a coherent strategy overall to athletics. My personal view is we need to be Number 1 in basketball simply because we are the largest media market in the number one basketball conference in the country and basketball doesn't require the resources of football.

But ... I have no idea what the AA strategy is. All I've heard is "our goal is to win championships". Reminds me of the the Republicans, "If elected, we will repeal Obamacare." Right.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not having fun yet.

How hard is it to be patient. We weren’t winning anything this year no matter who our coach was so I really don’t understand why the world is on fire. At the end of this season UGA fans will be way more disappointed about their team than I will be about GT. GT is having to rebuild from the ground up and the rules state we can only sign 25 a year. That’s basically 3 years for our coach to get players that he wants. Collins has already told us what his plan is and he is following it. And some of you want h8m to be honest - no coach is honest because if he were honest you same people would be all over him for throwing others under the bus. Here’s the honest answer he can’t say - we have a large numbers of players seeing playing time who have no business on a D1 football field. Until Collins can flip those players we will continue to lose. Wins and losses do not matte4 at this point just like they didn’t matter to Bobby Ross his first year. Keep recruiting and we’ll be fine.

LibertyTurns

Banned
A majority wanted to lose the option? Got any data to support that?
Like some of the fanboys post towards me, no I don’t have a Rand Study to back up the data. From my perspective:

A. CPJ had lost the drive to plow forward against all the obstacles and retired. How he did it nobody can argue was helpful to GT.
B. The fanbase was heavily divided. They just wanted GT to win but all the negativity from the haters bad mouthing our program all the time was never going to make GT successful. You have to admit everybody outside of GT and the Service Academies would make disparaging comments about the style of offense. Assuredly not the difficulty defending it, just it was some sort of not quite elite offense, therefore the whole program could never be elite.

Well like politics someone bought us a new head coach, amped up support & now the results are starting to come in. We’re embarked on a strategy of destroying the program in order to fix it. We’re going to see at least 1 more year of this unless he quits. Remember, CGC being unsuccessful is not a good thing unlike the philosophy against the old regime. If he fails miserably, we’re 5 or more years away from putting the program back together with a very disrupted/divided fanbase.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
How hard is it to be patient. We weren’t winning anything this year no matter who our coach was so I really don’t understand why the world is on fire. At the end of this season UGA fans will be way more disappointed about their team than I will be about GT. GT is having to rebuild from the ground up and the rules state we can only sign 25 a year. That’s basically 3 years for our coach to get players that he wants. Collins has already told us what his plan is and he is following it. And some of you want h8m to be honest - no coach is honest because if he were honest you same people would be all over him for throwing others under the bus. Here’s the honest answer he can’t say - we have a large numbers of players seeing playing time who have no business on a D1 football field. Until Collins can flip those players we will continue to lose. Wins and losses do not matte4 at this point just like they didn’t matter to Bobby Ross his first year. Keep recruiting and we’ll be fine.

I agree that the players playing were not recruited for this offense and departures/injuries have hurt as well. The part of the “Collins Plan” I fail to see materializing is building the elite program. We are still getting 3* and occasional 4* commits. They are a better fit for the spread that we run and solid guys, but not elite. Recruiting wise I see us getting what we were getting with CPJ, solid guys that fit our system, but not elite. The difference is that everyone spends so much time preparing defensively for the style of offense we run it is even harder to compete with similar talent. To compete for the coastal (forget championships) he is going to land better talent than he currently is.