Virginia Tech Postgame

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If TM starts next week I will lose whatever **** I have left to lose. I do not care if TO knows the playbook. The dude picks up positive yards and scores TDs. The argument is the team we are playing? BS we never run on VT like we did last night. If we beat them it is through the air or via ST/Defense. He scored against USF when Marshall struggled at times, he came in against Duke, sure it was late, but he still scored, and about scored again. You have to ride him. He may not be as successful against better defenses, but he's our best shot and it is painfully obvious, and has been for weeks. For reference against VT our rushing has been : 2017 - 261 yards, 2016: 309 yards (physical game by MJ, similar to TO), 2015- 161 yards, 2014 - 250 yards
Agree

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Oliver didn't know he was starting until pregame warmups. CPJ had mentioned to him that he might since TM was injured and couldn't practice, but he didn't get the final "you're up" until right before game time.

The leaves are turning.

I think UVA will be tough. For some reason, kind of like Duke/Cutcliffe, Bronco Mendenhall takes a lot of pride in playing against our offense and has a solid rationale for how to defend it (it's not just assignment football, though that's part of it ... it's mostly defeating blocks, and taking big risks at opportune times). I feel at least as good about Miami as I do about UVA ... I think we can beat that UM defense. If we can play clean, we'll have a chance to beat all 3 ACC teams left. We'll have to have something extra special to beat UGAg, like a huge defensive day. Would love to see it.

I am convinced we would benefit from two-headed monster at QB going forward, like we do at BB when we're good ... and not just this year. Playing QB in this offense is awesome but it's so taxing. When you can get a fresh guy in there who's dynamic and brings a little bit of a different skill to the table, it can really make a difference when a defense has been seeing the same thing the whole game. Like bringing in a good bullpen guy. I think we have a great chance at having that kind of situation going forward with TQM and TO this year and TO and JG next year and bringing in the two exciting looking commits we've got for later years. The future really looks good at that position. And, that, more than anything spells a lot of optimism for the future of the GT offense and trouble for our opponents. The more special we can be at the QB position, the more room for error we have to still be dominant even when we aren't perfect.

My last thought is that it's amazing to me how much one player can make such a difference to this offense. It's what CPJ says about there being such a fine margin for error with this team. We're one play, one player, one penalty, one fumble, one read, one OL call away from either being dominant or being shut down. If we have one special player, that gives us so much room for error. TO was a special player last night, though I'm not sure that's to be expected consistently. As others mentioned he was special because he could slip tackles, find creases, and especially get those couple of extra yards amidst contact - that's huge over the course of a drive/game. I can't help but wonder what we'd be with Dedrick ... that guy was a difference maker of the couple extra yards (sometimes 5 or 6) every play which makes us able to drive it down people's throats and opens up everything else. Not intending to take anything away from our guys ... that's just always been my point of intrigue with the CPJ offense. One or two difference makers take this offense to the stratosphere of effectiveness. I definitely like our OL and am excited about how good they can be. BTW, what's happened to Will Bryan?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to be careful about our expectations for TO.

First - it's not sustainable to have last night's gameplan the rest of the year. That would mean TO would carry the ball 160 times in a month. By comparison, TQM has 127 carries so far this season(roughly 2 months) and there are a lot of concerns over his health. We're going to have to get some other guys involved. Second - the o-line was the real MVP of last night's game. As they go, the offense will go.

I'm not sure what the QB situation will or should look like the rest of the way, but I'm excited to see how CPJ handles it. There's no doubt TO has earned some playing time, but the question is how much and in what situations.

One thing that I wanted to note was TQM's attitude on the sideline. A 1.5 year starter that was healthy enough to play was left watching a RS FR lead his offense, and he was probably the biggest cheerleader I saw all night. That's a tough position, and it would have been really easy for him to pout and sulk. I just wanted to call that out, because for all of the struggles he's had with reads, execution, throwing the ball, etc (see Clemson postgame thread) - you can never question his effort or his devotion to his team. I'd take that guy on my team any day.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We need to be careful about our expectations for TO.

First - it's not sustainable to have last night's gameplan the rest of the year. That would mean TO would carry the ball 160 times in a month. By comparison, TQM has 127 carries so far this season(roughly 2 months) and there are a lot of concerns over his health. We're going to have to get some other guys involved. Second - the o-line was the real MVP of last night's game. As they go, the offense will go.

I'm not sure what the QB situation will or should look like the rest of the way, but I'm excited to see how CPJ handles it. There's no doubt TO has earned some playing time, but the question is how much and in what situations.

One thing that I wanted to note was TQM's attitude on the sideline. A 1.5 year starter that was healthy enough to play was left watching a RS FR lead his offense, and he was probably the biggest cheerleader I saw all night. That's a tough position, and it would have been really easy for him to pout and sulk. I just wanted to call that out, because for all of the struggles he's had with reads, execution, throwing the ball, etc (see Clemson postgame thread) - you can never question his effort or his devotion to his team. I'd take that guy on my team any day.
I think GT can do the same thing against North Carolina and crush them

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Adding to this post about Marshall. We went to the lower row at the stadium to watch the players sing and exit the stadium. When the players exited TO was in an interview. Two players waited for him to finish to congratulate and walk off the field. One was Tre Swilling and the other was Marshall. Very impressed by Marshall’s team first atttude!
You must have been in our group when they came off the field, right above where they go from the field (I was the old guy in a gold vest with the 6’ 18 year old daughter). I noticed the same thing about TM. He seemed really happy for TO and didn’t want to go to the locker room until TO joined him.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Vamos, i totally agree, bringing in a speedy jitterbug like TM after pounding them straight in the face with TO would have to be a killer.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Be careful there, buddy! Don't you know winning/losing validates someone's position?

One loss, and the CPJ haters come flooding out. One win, and the CPJ defenders run off the CPJ haters.

It's a vicious cycle.

No we're still here. Great game by the young men last night but we will probably need to call the guy posted below if we do not find a way to spread out the carries. The VT D has been depleted over the last 8 months and to his credit CPJ knew how to take advantage.

taker.jpg

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Somebody called this earlier in the week. He said something like "some years we win a big one at just the point when it looks impossible." Can't recall which poster it was, though.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
If PJ has left TO in the USF game we would have won it. What could have been. PJ did not start the more effective QB and instead chose loyalty to the senior over the QB this offense really needs. I don’t want to see another QB in this system less than 6 foot. Oliver is 6’2, Graham is 6’1 and Lucas is 6’3. Marshall is 5’10. Gotta have big guys in this system at QB.
TO plays defense, too? Wow.

How tall was Justin Thomas?