UVa Preview

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think he's really weird, and I think if I were to know him personally, I wouldn't be a big fan. That said, 2 years improvement is 2 years improvement. There are many ways to skin a cat, and BM's (and yes, I insist on calling him BM) appears to have our program tilted in the right direction. I don't have to want to hang out with the guy to appreciate good football, and we're playing much better football.

Yes, a LARGE portion of his success has been hitting 2x in a row with QB transfers, but F it, good quarterback play is good quarterback play, and who am I to say it's not sustainable. He has earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes, for the time being. I'm willing to give him 5 years to show what he can do, because I'm no longer concerned he's actively wrecking the program. (or, like, FURTHER wrecking the program? You know what I mean. Worse actually WAS possible)

Dude....you aren’t doing this “fan” thing right. If he rubs you the wrong way...Fire Him! “Benefit of the doubt”.....what does that even mean???!! “5 years to show what he can do”??!!! THATS INSANITY!!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think he's really weird, and I think if I were to know him personally, I wouldn't be a big fan. That said, 2 years improvement is 2 years improvement. There are many ways to skin a cat, and BM's (and yes, I insist on calling him BM) appears to have our program tilted in the right direction. I don't have to want to hang out with the guy to appreciate good football, and we're playing much better football.

Yes, a LARGE portion of his success has been hitting 2x in a row with QB transfers, but F it, good quarterback play is good quarterback play, and who am I to say it's not sustainable. He has earned the benefit of the doubt in my eyes, for the time being. I'm willing to give him 5 years to show what he can do, because I'm no longer concerned he's actively wrecking the program. (or, like, FURTHER wrecking the program? You know what I mean. Worse actually WAS possible)

Good post, thanks.

I like UVa and hope they beat the crap out of VT.

BM is a good coach and has their program going in the right direction.

The O is their problem; they have a Football Outsiders #87 ranking. I think we are playing the run better and tackling better and will stop UVa at least 1/2 the time. Probably not in the first two series; but for some reason we get better as the game goes on (unless it's Clemson who beats the crap out of us and wears us down; UVa can't do that.) BTW, we are #11 in offense after not getting many yards against UM.

Their D is #30 and our D is #97. This is where BM has made great strides. But the #30 was for the players who were playing earlier in the year (duh) and the injuries two weeks ago don't help. Here's the injury report: http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/ and four are ? for our game. So they are not likely to play or if they do won't be as effective.

On the STs UVa is #67 and we are #117. We've moved up. I still think ST are largely an indicator of how good the coaching staff is. At some point I may do a play by play for ST against UM. Some was good and some gave up 11 points ..... just a tease.

So UVa has an advantage in 2 of the 3 phases and I would have expected a healthy UVa to be able to stop us as good as or better than UM did.

Turnovers will probably be the difference. And that includes making or not making 4th down plays.

slugboy

Staff member
Good post, thanks.

I like UVa and hope they beat the crap out of VT.

BM is a good coach and has their program going in the right direction.

The O is their problem; they have a Football Outsiders #87 ranking. I think we are playing the run better and tackling better and will stop UVa at least 1/2 the time. Probably not in the first two series; but for some reason we get better as the game goes on (unless it's Clemson who beats the crap out of us and wears us down; UVa can't do that.) BTW, we are #11 in offense after not getting many yards against UM.

Their D is #30 and our D is #97. This is where BM has made great strides. But the #30 was for the players who were playing earlier in the year (duh) and the injuries two weeks ago don't help. Here's the injury report: http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/ and four are ? for our game. So they are not likely to play or if they do won't be as effective.

On the STs UVa is #67 and we are #117. We've moved up. I still think ST are largely an indicator of how good the coaching staff is. At some point I may do a play by play for ST against UM. Some was good and some gave up 11 points ..... just a tease.

So UVa has an advantage in 2 of the 3 phases and I would have expected a healthy UVa to be able to stop us as good as or better than UM did.

Turnovers will probably be the difference. And that includes making or not making 4th down plays.

Which rankings are you using for offense, defense, and special teams? (Looks like FEI)

I tend to count the freak UM punt as a freak play. It would have taken eyes in the back of the helmet to turn and catch that ball, or get out of the way.

For the defense, I'm hoping Woody has something cooked up for this game. If the big threat is a mobile QB, and one guy isn't enough to spy them, then we gotta rely on the scheme.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I say let Tariq spy Perkins all game. Make him throw the ball and we’ll get enough failed drives or turnovers(because we only need a couple) for us to take control of their DL and the game.

darkstar

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey y'all! Big-time UVA fan here, first-time poster, and while I can't hope to match the level of analysis @ilovetheoption provides, I'm here to go into more detail on why GT will win and cover: crippling D-line issues.

Before we start, a quick list of the D-linemen Bronco expected to have in the program this year:
Eli Hanback: Junior who has started nearly every game since his redshirt year. The rock of the DL.
Juwan Moye: Junior from the Atlanta area who started a few games as a sophomore.
Steven Wright: Not the comedian, but another Georgian who started a few games as a sophomore last year.
Mandy Alonso: Sophomore who got extensive playing time as a true freshman.
John Kirven: Sophomore who had gotten extensive playing time as a redshirt freshman. Brother of a beloved UVA hoops walk-on from when Bennett really got things cooking.
James Trucilla: Junior who had played in about half of the team's games as a redshirt sophomore.
Tommy Christ: Freshman coming off a redshirt season.
Isaac Buell: Christ, but lower-rated.
Jordan Redmond: True freshman widebody from Florida.
Aaron Faumui: True freshman from Hawaii.
Samson Reed: Another true freshman from Hawaii. Son of the Rock's stunt double. Redshirting despite being the highest rated of the three freshmen.

That's 11 guys for three spots. You want more, and you want older, but that will do in a pinch. Just gotta keep them healthy, right? Fast forward to December, when Moye and Wright had their scholarships yanked and left school. I've been told what they did and won't say it here because it's not public. I will say it was nothing heinous, but an act that every UVA student knows will get them kicked out of school if they get caught. No problem with Bronco tossing them, but that's now 9 guys. (Moye is now at James Madison, along with seemingly ever other UVA player who couldn't hack it in FBS for whatever reason. I can't find any information on Wright's whereabouts.)

Then in May, we got the news that Kirven and Trucilla were retiring due to concussion issues. Good for them for getting out before their health was seriously affected (hopefully). Bad for depth. We're now down to seven guys, two who had taken a college snap. Sub-optimal! Bronco attempted to mitigate this by bringing in two immediate-eligibility transfers:

Dylan Thompson: Grad transfer who had played in two games in four years at Ohio State. This link goes into more detail on his saga, but suffice to say he spent too much time taking selfies of his (gigantic) biceps and not enough time graduating and arranging transportation to Charlottesville. He still has not earned his number (a fun Bronco-ism), but has played in the last two games without his name on his jersey.
Cassius Peat: Brother of Andrus Peat from the Saints. Managed the impressive feat of getting kicked out of Michigan State before going JUCO. Retired due to shoulder injuries before playing a snap at UVA.

Back up to eight guys, and we've added a whole two games of pre-2018 experience! Unfortunately, while Thompson finally played against Pitt, it did nothing for depth because Mandy Alonso wrecked his knee and is now out for the year. So we're back to seven guys, six of whom are playing. Redmond played well enough to make at least one midseason freshman all-America team (boy, I'll bet those DT spots are HOTLY contested) but has barely seen the field since. Christ barely played until (ironically) Liberty last week. Buell has not seen the field. So it's basically Hanback, Faumui and Christ with cameos from Thompson and Redmond. Just what you want against a team that does nothing but run the ball!

Oh, and the starting linebackers go sophomore-sophomore-junior-senior. The secondary has been great this year - Bryce Hall, in particular, has made himself a lot of money - but cover skills are only so useful against you guys.

TL;DR: I'm glad to be here, and this is not the defense that has earned the #30 spot statistically.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we have a Def game plan that will stop or greatly reduce Perkins from running wild on us. I know our LB’s can’t hang with him, maybe a safety like Carpenter, (if he can avoid getting tossed for targeting) can focus his berserker style against the QB.

darkstar

Georgia Tech Fan
I can't edit my post, but I was not thorough and left two guys out, neither of whom will play this weekend - the position switchers.

Richard Burney: Moved over from tight end before the bowl game last year. Was starting and playing well through four games before suffering some unexplained injury. Shut down for the season.
Osiris Crutchfield: Local kid, low-rated, who had been slotted at OL and TE before moving to DL this spring. Shut down for the season before it began - not sure what he hurt.

darkstar

Georgia Tech Fan
I swear I tried to edit this in and am not post-padding. My additions mean the real DL numbers are:

End of 2017 season: Nine returning players (pre-recruits, Thompson and Crutchfield). Seven with college DL experience.
Beginning of spring practice: Seven returning players (lost Moye and Wright, added and lost Crutchfield). Five with college experience.
End of spring practice: Five returning players (lost Kirven and Trucilla). Three with college experience.
Beginning of season: Nine players (added recruits and Thompson, added and lost Peat). Four with college experience.
Now: Seven players (lost Burney and Alonso). Two with college experience before this year. Five players in the rotation, one redshirting.

I will note that Reed can now play in every remaining game without jeopardizing his redshirt under the new NCAA rules, but I have no idea if this will happen. Redshirts are off the table for Redmond and Faumui.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
@ilovetheoption - What was your take on last year's bowl game vs. Navy? I've already written about it multiple times here.

On Offense Navy was very successful with the Zone Option series, so perhaps Oliver is the stronger start. The lack of points scored by UVA was more about them making big mistakes than Navy's defense dominating them.

Also, thank you for the Nightmare Fuel this morning.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Man, I have a hard time seeing how it could have been handled any better by Johnson.

Marshall may not be the platonic ideal win the triple option quarterback but if he's performing the best in practice I think you kind of have to keep starting him, or risk losing the team. They are all in practice. They see what's going on. They know who's playing better.

that said, you give it a couple series and if Marshall isn't producing you plug Oliver in and see what he can do.

Then you ride the hot hand from there.

If Marshall is producing for those first few series you keep him in and that sort of your answer.

Very much agree, and just how I was hoping things would unfold. A few other thoughts:

If you are a DC you have to focus on stopping both QBs. Do you have different ways of lining up and playing each QB? Can you practice each way enough to be effective? Miami looked ready for Oliver and their D loves to use their speed and flow to the football. The misdirection stuff we did with Taquon they had more trouble handling. I do think Oliver impacted the game though as Miami appeared as though they had spent time preparing for him.

Also, I like Marshall going in first because he's more experienced at making changes at the line and at getting us in the correct plays when we don't know how the D is going to play us. This gives Oliver a chance to get coached up on the sideline, and it gives CPJ a better early look at how to exploit the opponents game plan. Oliver also is a change of pace guy who can be very disorienting after seeing Taquon.

Finally, there's the passing game. The three big passes were a big part of beating Miami. If Taquon can set his feet in my opinion he usually delivers an accurate ball with reasonable zip, particularly if his confidence is high. He seemed confident Saturday night and threw some big strikes. Not sure Johnson calls that pass play on third and six with Oliver in there. Experience matters. BTW, nice to have Camp back....he can go get it. And good job with the bootleg action to give Taquon time to get set up and deliver good balls.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
I swear I tried to edit this in and am not post-padding. My additions mean the real DL numbers are:

End of 2017 season: Nine returning players (pre-recruits, Thompson and Crutchfield). Seven with college DL experience.
Beginning of spring practice: Seven returning players (lost Moye and Wright, added and lost Crutchfield). Five with college experience.
End of spring practice: Five returning players (lost Kirven and Trucilla). Three with college experience.
Beginning of season: Nine players (added recruits and Thompson, added and lost Peat). Four with college experience.
Now: Seven players (lost Burney and Alonso). Two with college experience before this year. Five players in the rotation, one redshirting.

I will note that Reed can now play in every remaining game without jeopardizing his redshirt under the new NCAA rules, but I have no idea if this will happen. Redshirts are off the table for Redmond and Faumui.

Welcome. Don't worry about post padding when you're bringing great info. I think the site has a limit of 10 minutes that you can edit your posts. Saturday should be a good game based on everything here I think the game comes down to turnovers. The team that finishes with less mistakes wins the game.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'm thinking Charlie Thomas would be a good one to play a role in containing this mobile QB. Juanyeh would be a good one too, but I'm not sure for what position he could come in and help on that. Jalen Johnson, maybe. David Curry is pretty fast though and might be decent in the spy role. Others have already mentioned Tariq, but I really don't know how you do that from the safety position without being pretty unsound defensively. BJS could play a role, but he hasn't played much and there's got to be a reason for that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking Charlie Thomas would be a good one to play a role in containing this mobile QB. Juanyeh would be a good one too, but I'm not sure for what position he could come in and help on that. Jalen Johnson, maybe. David Curry is pretty fast though and might be decent in the spy role. Others have already mentioned Tariq, but I really don't know how you do that from the safety position without being pretty unsound defensively. BJS could play a role, but he hasn't played much and there's got to be a reason for that.

hard for a OLB in this system to play spy...they often shade to the slot #2 or rush. Simply, we would have to play a nickel (remove a MLB for a S or DB) and play that way; using the kid with speed as a spy. In base, it almost has to be a MLB, and if thats the case, I think you have to sub or make Curry follow vs Mitchell. Mitchell HAS NO HOPE, but at least Curry has some hope. a tad more hope; I think.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
hard for a OLB in this system to play spy...they often shade to the slot #2 or rush. Simply, we would have to play a nickel (remove a MLB for a S or DB) and play that way; using the kid with speed as a spy. In base, it almost has to be a MLB, and if thats the case, I think you have to sub or make Curry follow vs Mitchell. Mitchell HAS NO HOPE, but at least Curry has some hope. a tad more hope; I think.
I agree that Charlie as an OLB would not be the typical spy, but I wasn't saying for him to be a typical spy, I was saying he coule play a role in containing him. Charlie is often rushing the QB anyway, so my thought was more in playing games in the way he rushes. Instead of the "get to the QB" mentality, have him feign the rush so as to occupy a blocker but then not really rush, rather play a little bit of a spy game in hanging back and seeing where the QB is going to try to escape and being there for him. A pseudo-spy, if you will. Not every time, but picking certain moments, and especially on some 3rd and longs when the QB-escape is the most likely poison for us.

A Michael Johnson or Attaochu (which is who I'm hoping C.Thomas turns into before he's done) type OLB/DE would be very good in that kind of role.

This is for a QB whose feet scare you more than his arm.