UT and Holding

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Our guys need to learn how to flail their arms and yell "HEEEYYYY HOOOOLLD!!!!" when that happens. Anree in particular. Ref might not call it the first time they do it, but they will sure pay attention, and the OL will be less inclined to pull something like that again. That was textbook holding outside the scrum of the interior line. When you spin a defender from behind 180 degrees, something not natural is going on.

Branch got tackled, but in his case the OL was a little savvy in that he held from the shoulders in (which a lot of OL do) and never put his hands outside the shoulder. On replay it looks horrible on the OL, but in real time it's so hard to call that one because it kinda looks like Branch is getting pancaked. Gotta remember, each ref is assigned a particular area to focus on...almost impossible to catch everything in a scrum like that. It wasn't as flat out blatant as what happened to Anree. In this instance, the OL was just good at using "the tricks of the trade" that OLs are taught. If anything, Branch should have used his hands better to disengage the inside jersey hold and if the OL was still holding, the fistfull of jersey would have shifted to the outside and the only way the OL would have held on would have been to noticeably stretch the jersey.
I agree. The one on Branch could've gone either way and doesn't irk me that it wasn't called. The one on Anree is pathetically bad and should be enough to get the ref that missed it some sort of corrective action (even if just getting it pointed out to him in a teaching session).

Another one that gets me is early on when the TN receiver caught the ball off the bounce. The Refs were right there next to him and called it a catch. On replay it was quickly reversed. But it doesn't get much easier than that when its right in front of you.

What really gets me is how come on their one touchdown run that the booth called during a TV break? Nobody was complaining, the Refs on the field didn't ask for it, and the TN bench wasn't complaining. But the booth called down a TD. But yet here are blatant fouls everywhere and the booth won't lift the phone. Last year the booth called down after a play to penalize us on a pitch that was beyond the line of scrimmage and they wanted to tell the Refs it was an illegal forward pass. But nobody on the field or the sideline had asked for the review. It just seems whatever screws us the most is what the Refs do.
Some things are reviewable, some aren't. Fumbles, forward passes, crossing the plane, out of bounds, etc are reviewable. Most penalties aren't reviewable - PI, Holding, Facemask, etc. That's just the rules - not saying it's the best policy, but they are following the policy.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Branch got tackled, but in his case the OL was a little savvy in that he held from the shoulders in (which a lot of OL do) and never put his hands outside the shoulder. On replay it looks horrible on the OL, but in real time it's so hard to call that one because it kinda looks like Branch is getting pancaked. Gotta remember, each ref is assigned a particular area to focus on...almost impossible to catch everything in a scrum like that. It wasn't as flat out blatant as what happened to Anree. In this instance, the OL was just good at using "the tricks of the trade" that OLs are taught. If anything, Branch should have used his hands better to disengage the inside jersey hold and if the OL was still holding, the fistfull of jersey would have shifted to the outside and the only way the OL would have held on would have been to noticeably stretch the jersey.
I thought the same thing while watching the scrum. Their Oline seemed to be well skilled in keeping their hands inside their shoulders while grabbing a DL's jersey...the unwritten rule/technique.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Big 10 refs paid by the SEC????
I think you've hit it with the Big 10 aspect. Watch some of their games. Everybody in that conference holds all the time and they are seldom called for it. It's as if the refs have decided that, unless you tackle your man as he's breaking contact with you, you aren't holding. It drives me crazy when I watch their teams play.

Still, the holds in the film should have led to a flag. You can get away with one, but two blatants in one play is unacceptable.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Some things are reviewable, some aren't. Fumbles, forward passes, crossing the plane, out of bounds, etc are reviewable. Most penalties aren't reviewable - PI, Holding, Facemask, etc. That's just the rules - not saying it's the best policy, but they are following the policy.

This is why I'm kind of a fan of calling a loose game. The UT bounce pass was reviewable and quickly overturned. If it was called an incomplete pass, it would not be reviewed iiuc. I think our last play should have been called a catch and reviewed. It's irrelevant because benson was down before crossing the plane, but the catch was borderline. Sure the ball hit the ground but he grabs it first and there is no movement of the ball when it hits the ground. They keep saying in both the NCAA and the NFL it's about possession, not hitting the ground, but I have yet to see a pass hit the ground and it be called a catch after review...

The problem with calling a loose game is you need evidence to overturn a call. You might get into a situation like we did against Pitt a few years ago, the first quarter bloodbath. A bunch of their fumbles were borderline, but they were called fumbles on the field and stood as called.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is why I'm kind of a fan of calling a loose game. The UT bounce pass was reviewable and quickly overturned. If it was called an incomplete pass, it would not be reviewed iiuc. I think our last play should have been called a catch and reviewed. It's irrelevant because benson was down before crossing the plane, but the catch was borderline. Sure the ball hit the ground but he grabs it first and there is no movement of the ball when it hits the ground. They keep saying in both the NCAA and the NFL it's about possession, not hitting the ground, but I have yet to see a pass hit the ground and it be called a catch after review...

The problem with calling a loose game is you need evidence to overturn a call. You might get into a situation like we did against Pitt a few years ago, the first quarter bloodbath. A bunch of their fumbles were borderline, but they were called fumbles on the field and stood as called.

You cant review PI or holding. Limits to loose calling.

Deleted member 2897

The problem with your prediction of reviewing the catch on Benson was that the Refs called the play dead. Watch it here, I have it queued up:

As soon as the Refs make the call that it wasn't a catch, they're blowing the play dead before he is tackled (you can hear all the whistles and see them all waiving their hands). So if they would have reviewed it and called it a catch, now what do they do? Sure, he was tackled before the goal line, but they had already called the play dead before everything ended. So would they have then replayed the down?

Deleted member 2897

There was also the call from the booth that said Benson's knee was down right after taking the handoff and before his longer run. That was another call that was never asked for, prompted by the Refs on the field, or requested from Tennessee. It wasn't really all that obvious to me when watching the slow-mo replay. So I'm not sure why the booth acted as judge, jury, and executioner all in one.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The problem with your prediction of reviewing the catch on Benson was that the Refs called the play dead. Watch it here, I have it queued up:

As soon as the Refs make the call that it wasn't a catch, they're blowing the play dead before he is tackled (you can hear all the whistles and see them all waiving their hands). So if they would have reviewed it and called it a catch, now what do they do? Sure, he was tackled before the goal line, but they had already called the play dead before everything ended. So would they have then replayed the down?

I think you are making my point. Had they let the play proceed (calling it a catch on the field) then they could have reviewed it and made the correct call (whatever the call may be.) I agree, blowing it dead stops the play, correct call or not. Not a fan of stopping it with the game on the line. Let the play proceed and review it

As a side note, i refuse to watch the play again, still hurts too much. It's bad enough with all of the GT stories popping up in my google feed to tell me about the loss.

Deleted member 2897

I think you are making my point. Had they let the play proceed (calling it a catch on the field) then they could have reviewed it and made the correct call (whatever the call may be.) I agree, blowing it dead stops the play, correct call or not. Not a fan of stopping it with the game on the line. Let the play proceed and review it

As a side note, i refuse to watch the play again, still hurts too much. It's bad enough with all of the GT stories popping up in my google feed to tell me about the loss.

I'm right there with you. I'm still not over it. But there was so much to like about that game.

We need to put up 50 on Jax St and UCF. If we do, we'll be leading the nation in several offensive categories as we enter the Pitt and UNC stretch.

If we can go into Miami 4-1 with the Tennessee game being the only loss, I think we can take it to Miami. And if we roll into Clemson 6-1, well, fireworks.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm right there with you. I'm still not over it. But there was so much to like about that game.

We need to put up 50 on Jax St and UCF. If we do, we'll be leading the nation in several offensive categories as we enter the Pitt and UNC stretch.

If we can go into Miami 4-1 with the Tennessee game being the only loss, I think we can take it to Miami. And if we roll into Clemson 6-1, well, fireworks.
Do you think GT will be in the Top 25 if they're 4-1 going into the Miami game?

Deleted member 2897

And don't forget about this one. On our last offensive play in regulation (see picture), Taquon Marshall was down with 8 seconds left. It was also a first down, so the play clock should have stopped until the Refs re-set the ball and called for the clock to run again. With 8 seconds left and 1 timeout, we would have had extra time for one more play. Instead, the Refs let the clock wind all the way down to 3 seconds before blowing it dead.

CPDp1qZ.jpg