TV Series Not Worth Finishing

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Other threads have discussed TV series that are worth streaming and perhaps from these recommendations you have discovered new favorites. I could list several TV series that I fell in love with and highly recommend.

But what about those series that came highly recommended, or that started off well, that you just couldn’t bring yourself to finish? When I finished the series “Weeds” I realized that I had forced myself toward the end to keep watching because I had invested so much time. But each subsequent episode I just wanted the main character to die. It drug on way too long, pun partially intended.

After that experience I vowed to quit watching a series as soon as it lost momentum, or started going in circles, or just got silly. The following is a partial list of the shows I quit watching in spite of early promise or good reviews:

Walking Dead
Masters of Sex
Oz
Silo
Orange is the New Black
Sharp Objects
Dark Winds
Lupin
Slow Horses
Pachinko

What are some series you started but couldn’t bear to finish?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agree on Walking Dead. At first it was kinda neat to see the Atlanta locations, but after about 3 seasons it just got old.
I hung in with Walking Dead longer than that but by the time I quit watching it was making me angry. It devolved into a predictable formula. They ran out of ideas and tried to keep it fresh by killing off favorite characters. I was amazed that it kept going for so long after I quit watching it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Altered Carbon
Westworld
Game of Thrones

Seinfeld, if i could unwatch the last episode

How I met your mother, if I could unwatch the last couple of episodes
Wasn’t the last episode of Seinfeld kind of one long take on the joke that “Seinfeld was really about nothing?” It didn’t work but had a kind of Dadaist feel in the attempt.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hung in with Walking Dead longer than that but by the time I quit watching it was making me angry. It devolved into a predictable formula. They ran out of ideas and tried to keep it fresh by killing off favorite characters. I was amazed that it kept going for so long after I quit watching it.
Same. I saw a commercial for it a while ago and thought, "They're still doing that show?" Stopped watching years ago.
Felt so good to start with but jumped the shark after a while. I finished it but was sorry I did.

I keep seeing that last half season in my Netflix list and I keep convincing myself to finish it. But I just can't.

One I disagree with you on is Slow Horses. I actually started reading the books after finishing the latest season. 🤷‍♂️

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Same. I saw a commercial for it a while ago and thought, "They're still doing that show?" Stopped watching years ago.

I keep seeing that last half season in my Netflix list and I keep convincing myself to finish it. But I just can't.

One I disagree with you on is Slow Horses. I actually started reading the books after finishing the latest season. 🤷‍♂️
So much about Slow Horses to like but I just got tired of it. I don’t mind a slow pace but it felt after awhile to me that the systemic conflicts were just being recycled in different packaging.

But I’m not offended if someone liked it. There are a few on my list like that. Liking some others would lead me to believe you were a fascist with smelly feet who didn’t love Jesus 😂

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My wife and I are always looking for a good series to watch and get frustrated at how many we quit watching because they are just kind of second rate.

We recently finished Manhunt, a limited series, about the assassination of Lincoln and the search for the killer. It could have been so much better but the acting was uneven and the narrative was a little incomplete in places. Such an important story deserved, in my opinion, to have high production values. It was average. Had it been a longer series I would have stopped watching it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Westworld
I only watched the first season. As far as I was concerned the story was completed at the end of the first season. It was a perfect story that had a perfect ending. I don't even know what the plot of subsequent seasons were, but they had to be simply using the same characters in some endless loop of nonsensical story lines to try to extend the enthusiasm with the first season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I only watched the first season. As far as I was concerned the story was completed at the end of the first season. It was a perfect story that had a perfect ending. I don't even know what the plot of subsequent seasons were, but they had to be simply using the same characters in some endless loop of nonsensical story lines to try to extend the enthusiasm with the first season.
Yes, some series ought to quit while they are ahead but they drag on and tarnish any good will they initially had with the viewer.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Similar things can be said about True Detective tho a couple seasons were 'good enough', I guess.
I love loved the first season. None that came after were worth watching, though, to be fair, each one is a complete story line so they mercifully end without dragging on year after year.