Time to Bury the Asterisk?

Is it time to bury the asterisk when looking at GT football?

• Yes

Votes: 164 67.8%
  • No, give CGC another asterisk year

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • No, give CGC another 2 asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • No, give CGC another 3+ asterisk years

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is one of the more interesting things to watch next year. I hope we surprise everyone and are really competitive in most of our games, but we started to see some issues with how CGC handled stress and criticism. He could be in for some tough pressers next year as the excuses and the historic transformation talk are gone. It’s time to perform, and so far when someone questions the path or the results he doesn’t react all that well (nor is he particularly confidence inspiring- except to his players). I hope someone is “coaching” him on this before next season.

I agree with the overall take you give here. I know a lot of people who only want to hear "positives", and if they are asked something they consider negative or critical, they do not react well. I kind of think that is what we might see more of next year. Of course, if he has success (close, well played games and wins), it probably won't be an issue, but this year with the penalties and turnovers, I did not get a great feeling about the future.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
We get NIU, Duke, and Kennesaw State next year. That should be 3 automatic wins. If we can’t pull off a winning record overall, there are serious issues.
I'd agree, those should be games we win. I would also throw in Pitt (who we should have beat and I think our team will circle that game next year) and Virginia, so that makes 5 wins at least. I wouldn't be shocked if we beat Virginia Tech and shock Miami or UNC, giving us 7 wins.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I'd agree, those should be games we win. I would also throw in Pitt (who we should have beat and I think our team will circle that game next year) and Virginia, so that makes 5 wins at least. I wouldn't be shocked if we beat Virginia Tech and shock Miami or UNC, giving us 7 wins.
Those 7 wins would earn CGC an ACC coach of the year award IMO.

Year 3 for Geoff is absolutely critical in his career at Tech. He’s got to put a better product on the field (with a full spring and summer). It’s still going to be a lot of eye test but the win & loss column will definitely weigh a lot more than it did the past two years.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure we will only be favored in 3 games next season based on the schedule.
Looks like it. I predicted 4 wins last year in the annual preseason poll. May stick with that or go up one. It is a very hard row to hoe for sure. Kind of similar to Coach Curry's first couple of years playing Alabama, UGA, Tennessee, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, before we started the ACC slate a couple of years later. This was when the ACC was kind of like the Big 8 was back in the day...Oklahoma and the 7 dwarfs.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
5 wins, competitive in 4 other games and no more historic all time losses is I think the low bar.
At least within the parameters that the environment is more normal next year as we all hope.
7 wins would be a good success.
Getting over the 7 win hump ? Now that would be exciting to think about what comes next.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Tech football is the engine that runs the GT athletic department. I suspect if we have a 3 or 4 win season next year, no matter how great the recruiting class turns out, Collins will be on the hot seat big time. I would suspect Stansbury's seat might start to get warm too. I'm still a fan of both men, but I'm not impressed as much as I was a couple of years ago.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
6 wins minimum next year. ND will be losing a ton of senior starters and will not be nearly as good as they were this season, Miami and UNC will both be good but not elite and as usual prone to headscratching losses. I would say Clemson is the only guaranteed loss, and probably UGA.

A loss to KSU would be a record low, which would be significant in that CGC has already hit numerous record lows for this program. If that happens he should be fired on the spot - before he has a chance to screwup the handshake too.

When was this? When the refs were blatantly cheating us out of the Pitt game? After cheating us out of the NC State game and UCF game earlier in the year?
Try everytime he's been asked an even minorly tough question, going back to last season when he was asked who the starting qb was and he went on a rant about how they use ATL and nobody is asking about who the starter is at safety or some other position.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Also implies a lot of folks above 3.0 as well...
Yeah, sure. But we need everyone to stay eligible. 3.0 average could result in a lot of ineligible players if the variance is high. The average means nothing, tbh. What matters is the total number of players grading well enough to stay eligible.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, sure. But we need everyone to stay eligible. 3.0 average could result in a lot of ineligible players if the variance is high. The average means nothing, tbh. What matters is the total number of players grading well enough to stay eligible.
EpzXHVkXcAQQEdp.jpeg

A top 4 ranking in the nation, we’re good. Eligibility is at 1.5 iIrc. Calm down.

Deleted member 2897

But are any of them 6 & Ohio?

Cincinnati is 9-0hio.
Coastal Carolina is 11-0hio.

BYU is 10-1 with their only loss being to Coastal Carolina on the road at the very end.
Liberty is 9-1 with their only loss being to NC State on the road by 1 point.

San Jose State is 7-0hio.
Louisiana Lafayette is 9-1 with their only loss being to Coastal Carolina by 3 points.

Texas A&M is 8-1 with their only loss being to Alabama on the road.

Plenty of good options to take! 39 FBS teams with at least as many wins. At least 3 other undefeated teams I can find with more wins.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Cincinnati is 9-0hio.
Coastal Carolina is 11-0hio.

BYU is 10-1 with their only loss being to Coastal Carolina on the road at the very end.
Liberty is 9-1 with their only loss being to NC State on the road by 1 point.

San Jose State is 7-0hio.
Louisiana Lafayette is 9-1 with their only loss being to Coastal Carolina by 3 points.

Texas A&M is 8-1 with their only loss being to Alabama on the road.

Plenty of good options to take! 39 FBS teams with at least as many wins. At least 3 other undefeated teams I can find with more wins.
Do you honestly think Ohio State wouldn't be undefeated if they played 3-4 more weak *** big 10 games?