The Georgia Tech Team That Could Actually Beat UGA (& Win the ACC) [article]

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Fun read. Caveat is that he only focuses on offense, and makes little to no mention of defense. And if our experience doesn't make a good point of it, UNC can also tell you how a team with a great offense and an anemic defense performs.

Still, I like his perspective.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Fun read. Caveat is that he only focuses on offense, and makes little to no mention of defense. And if our experience doesn't make a good point of it, UNC can also tell you how a team with a great offense and an anemic defense performs.

Still, I like his perspective.

I believe our 2024 offense will carry the team, but I am still diluting my batches of Kool Aid. The folks in Athens are playing a higher stakes game right now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There are two specific and different things that make a good football player. First is the athletic part of the game. Are you bigger, stronger, faster and can you jump higher than the other guy. The second part of the game is mental. Do you know your job and where you’re supposed to be at all times? Do you have finely tuned football instincts? How is your situational awareness? How well do you study your opponent? And can you anticipate his next move?

We can only compete so much on part one. We are gonna have to make hay on part two.

Kyle Efford alluded to this in the post Spring game presser. He said, and I paraphrase, there’s very little separating teams as far as athleticism goes. They’re all D1 athletes. I don’t necessarily agree with that, but there is truth in the fact that being superior mentally can make up somewhat for being lesser athletically.