The End of College Sports As We Know It

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Their own league where any notion of academics goes to die.
"...any level of enhanced educational benefits they deem appropriate." "School" for S-As is already a joke at many colleges - this just does away with any semblance of academic progress requirements.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, the day we all said was coming is finally here. What side of the fence will GT end up on?

It’s time. Either we decide to continue competing or we essentially drop down. I tend to think an option that’s divorced from academics for the revenue generating sports might be the best of both worlds for a school like GT.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s time. Either we decide to continue competing or we essentially drop down. I tend to think an option that’s divorced from academics for the revenue generating sports might be the best of both worlds for a school like GT.
That's just minor leagues. If the sport is supposed to be separated from the academics, then there's no reason to associate it with the school anymore.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There's 32 NFL teams. How about those colleges that decide to follow this model work out deals with NFL teams to sponsor those programs as a college-based minor league system.

The rest of college football programs can then go about playing the sport as it is supposed to be played. The players make the choice where to play and if they choose college football, then their NIL/transfer opportunities are limited, and they have assumed any "risk" associated with that.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe someone following this more closely can comment on something I read about this new classification requiring matching funds also for women’s sports?

If they’re going to do this, I hope it’s all the way - blow it out, make it so absurd that it has to fail and we won’t be tempted to go along.

Ironically, it’s being discussed as haves/have-nots when it’s often really the opposite in terms of endowment resources. It’s 110% about priorities. Bama and uga are flat broke compared to Stanford and Duke (and GT really, looking at endowments and research revenue).

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Well, that will certainly kill the ACC and the GOR that has kept schools like FSU and Clemson hanging around and it will lead to a brand new round of conference realignments as schools make their pro or amateur determinations.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe someone following this more closely can comment on something I read about this new classification requiring matching funds also for women’s sports?

If they’re going to do this, I hope it’s all the way - blow it out, make it so absurd that it has to fail and we won’t be tempted to go along.

Ironically, it’s being discussed as haves/have-nots when it’s often really the opposite in terms of endowment resources. It’s 110% about priorities. Bama and uga are flat broke compared to Stanford and Duke (and GT really, looking at endowments and research revenue).
You are right on current endowment sizes but if these football schools realize roll call dollars are going for football and not research, every trailer park in alabama will be funding roll call - and there are a lot of trailer parks in alabama. At Stanford and Duke, I don't think roll call adminstrators will be for using every dollar going to football and other sports per rules.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, that will certainly kill the ACC and the GOR that has kept schools like FSU and Clemson hanging around and it will lead to a brand new round of conference realignments as schools make their pro or amateur determinations.

That's what the P2 is set up for. I said it almost two years ago that realignment towards the mega deathstars of SEC and B1G were setting up something big, and possibly rival pro leagues (see the footprint and how the B1G is modeled).

Here we are today, and the landscape is moving closer to what I predicted.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
If this makes athletes able to be employees of the university, would that mean we have way more money to hire them since the Academic side has so much more money?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There's 32 NFL teams. How about those colleges that decide to follow this model work out deals with NFL teams to sponsor those programs as a college-based minor league system.

The rest of college football programs can then go about playing the sport as it is supposed to be played. The players make the choice where to play and if they choose college football, then their NIL/transfer opportunities are limited, and they have assumed any "risk" associated with that.
The NFL is, and never will be, interested in “sponsoring” a minor league. Their players get developed for free as is. They are not going to start spending hundreds of millions of dollars when they don’t have to