The Citadel Postgame

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I don’t know for sure but I think he confused it with what the ref said before the Fg. Before the fg he said “ the play started at the ready for play, 7 sec ran off the clock before the timeout clock operator please set the clock to 6 sec and start it in the snap”. He emphasized the word snap and kind of pointed. What ever it was, it was inexcusable that the coach didn’t know the rules. The penalty was with a running clock so it starts back running when the ref signals ready for play.
+1

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I mean that’s the rule. Never does a running clock go from running to stopped because of penalty. The QB has to know that and that falls on the coach for not making sure he knows the rule. The 10 second runoff was created to penalize teams that would intentionally false starts near the end of the game so they could huddle while the head ref announced the penalty.

We took the runoff to save the timeout. I agree with that decision, especially with the sack issues we’ve had. With the play that we called, keeping the timeout also made sense. I think CGC was expecting a snap immediately and either Oliver scores on the option or we call timeout and kick the FG. When he didn’t snap the ball, you have to burn the timeout because if the snap happens at 6 seconds and we don’t score there is a real possibility that time expires and you don’t even get the chance to kick the FG. Still should’ve never come to that.
+1+1+1+1.....

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Rather than add the suicidal thoughts I had yesterday, let me ask, is there any chance that with two weeks to rest we get the starting O lineman back and look like a team which sorta knows what it's doing against Temple?

I'm equally furious at the defense which couldn't figure out what to do against the offense we ran a year ago, but I'm assuming we will not see the TO again any time soon and the defense will be decent next game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Lol. Lol.

Wrong.

Collins can take a TO to avoid the runoff. Oh lord. Ok. Gonna stop reading
But he wanted to save the time out in case we didn't score on the play that we should have been able to run by snapping the ball within 1 to 2 seconds after the clock started again. Which was the right thing to do.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
We have no identity on offense. Defense struggled yesterday. Offense did not help them out. We only ran 46 plays. Look at the box score, two things point out to me. TO is a gamer and we should run him and mason more. LJ doesn’t do anything I don’t think TO can do but vice versa TO does stuff that I don’t think LJ can do. I really think we are hindering ourselves by not looking at what’s working on offense and expanding on that. Instead we are trying to show what we want to do with big limitations.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Geoff Collins /Dave Patenaude doesn't deserve a player like Tobias Oliver... I Hope he transfers after this season of being jerked around... Kid is the real deal... Coaching was soft and Below the Line
Tobias was beyond pissed after that timeout was called. On TV it looked like he refused to talk to the coaches

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to see a stat of how many of our total yards and points for the year have come when TO is at QB.

I also complain about his passing ability but he moves the dang ball one way or another. Give him the entire second half and we win by 10+
Given how few we have scored in total probably would not take long to figure this out.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The positive in this is that we didn’t hire CGC for his offensive prowess. Hopefully he does the right thing and gets a real coordinator.
Yes he needs to use the Dab O model and hire some people to surround him fast. This is a near immediate priority before this train derails. He does not have time like Dab O had at Clemp. He can cement us at the bottom of the ACC very quickly and we will need a King’s ransom to bail us out. We are not flush with cash to buy our way out of a catastrophe.

GT21

Georgia Tech Fan
I really hope Tstan made the right decision, but I was skeptical at hire and even more so 3 games in. This is a very weak staff with little to no P5 experience.....especially at the top (HC, OC, DC). At least Dabo was smart enough and took LESS money to hire top flight coordinators....Collins spends $600K on a offense line coach.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
But he wanted to save the time out in case we didn't score on the play that we should have been able to run by snapping the ball within 1 to 2 seconds after the clock started again. Which was the right thing to do.

No. U can always stop a clock on with an incomplete pass or spike. It was dumb period. If u have 23 seconds on the clock and no timeouts you can run 3 plays and then kick. We ran 0. Letting 10 seconds run off cost two plays. And the jumpball was working