The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some COVID related articles from Yahoo today.

First is what we can learn from the Orlando team that had to withdraw from the NSWL - beyond don't go to bars.
[URL]https://sports.yahoo.com/coronavirus-orlando-pride-nwsl-sports-mls-nba-150643084.html[/URL]
Alot of talk in this one about false negatives and how it causes issues for sports teams. Basically someone can test negative for 4 or 5 days before testing positive, but are likely sharing a virus for at least a couple of those days.

This one is the second in 2 days i've seen on the NBA and whether their decision to play in Orlando could screw them depsite doing everything else right.
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-florida-coronavirus-disney-orlando-orange-county-cases-162243057.html

Finally, this column basically says the reason we don't have team sports in the US right now (even though in most countries they now have them again, mostly without fans) is because we the people have failed to do what is necessary to make it ok for there to be team sports.
https://sports.yahoo.com/how-has-th...ptionalism-just-look-at-sports-172159985.html

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the worst case right now is that they play the full schedule of games, just with 0 spectators. It might also be possible that this big second wave that looks to be starting nationwide will run its course by the end of August. With all the protests and with people relaxing their own personal social distancing, the virus will reach a ton more people than were reached in the "first wave" (I'd consider that to be late March-May).

I hope by August we have dealt with wave 1.5, if not we as a country are going to be in a really bad place.
The issue that concenrs me about getting to watch sports this fall, or even any significant semblance of normality, is likely to be that we don't truly knock it down enough so that all it takes is opening up a little bit more and it comes roaring back again. Like the Australian Scientist made the analogy about the wildfires. We just let it smolder in the brush (20's and 30's) and then it hits timber (50+) and flares up.

There was an interview with an ICU doctor in Miami this morning where he talked about a week ago they had a 24 bed ICU ward with 4 ventilators all ready to go and felt pretty good. today they have over 40 patients, 4 on ventilators, have made a makeshift second ICU ward and are trying to figure out a third one. Even though the avg age is much lower in FL right now than it was in NY for positive tests, eventually it seems to get to older people as most of the patients in the ICU are 50+.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I brought up the BMI factor earlier this thread. Add to it, Black players are also more susceptible to the virus because Black people are predisposed to vitamin D deficiency due to dark skin biology. Scientist and doctors are finding more and more that vitamin D plays a key role for humans fighting the virus. As I said earlier in this thread, if you're Black OL or DL whose BMI is around or above the BMI danger zone for Covid, I'd have a really long discussion with my family and myself about the benefits versus rewards of playing sports without a vaccine.

So not only are players dealing with exposure risks due to repeated close contact and heavy breathing from sports, then you have players that play a red line BMI weight, add to that Black people biological deficiency of vitamin D. If you're a Black OL/DL, that's a LOT of risk factors you're adding to the equation. If you're a White OL/DL you're also adding a layer of risk.

I can't fathom how any parent would let their kid sign those stupid waivers knowing all of that. If everyone refuses to sign the waiver, what would colleges do? Let's be clear, colleges are looking at the revenue...everything having to do with the virus is just a hurdle for them to cash those checks.

OL/DL are also the players that will generally be in closest contact with others along the LoS. If teams keep having players test positive, we're gonna have to admit that player safety isn't our top priority and fan satisfaction and economics are more important than the health of the player.

Milwaukee

Banned
OL/DL are also the players that will generally be in closest contact with others along the LoS. If teams keep having players test positive, we're gonna have to admit that player safety isn't our top priority and fan satisfaction and economics are more important than the health of the player.

It’s all about economics at this point. You can’t cancel college football otherwise entire communities of people, towns, businesses, cities will all go under.
NFL is working with a company to have built in face masks inside the helmets, cfb would follow suit. We’re playing football boys because of the dollars involved.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I get the feeling we’re gonna end up with fan less games and piped in noise. And If a player tests positive during the season it’s gonna be a next man up type deal to fill his spot while he’s in quarantine unless that program has a missive outbreak.
I just learned that the soccer games going on do not have sound in the stadium, it’s only for tv audience. If that’s true, I hope we can find a way to get sound piped in! Noting worse than playing with no noise.

Milwaukee

Banned
I get the feeling we’re gonna end up with fan less games and piped in noise. And If a player tests positive during the season it’s gonna be a next man up type deal to fill his spot while he’s in quarantine unless that program has a missive outbreak.
I just learned that the soccer games going on do not have sound in the stadium, it’s only for tv audience. If that’s true, I hope we can find a way to get sound piped in! Noting worse than playing with no noise.

The piped in noise is kind of silly but it doesn’t sound as bad as you’d think. Premier League is broadcasting the games with the piped noise but offering coverage without the noise if you have the NBC Gold pack. Bundesliga and La Liga are now doing the piped in noise. It’s all silly, just open the damn stadiums already.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I forsee no college sports at all. Pro sports will be played in empty stadia/arenae by players signing waivers.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Or, let's say there's a vaccine in December. Could the 2020 college football season be played from, say, February through May of 2021? Just a thought.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Or, let's say there's a vaccine in December. Could the 2020 college football season be played from, say, February through May of 2021? Just a thought.

I doubt it, and realistically the earliest is going to be early 2021 - based on Dr. Fauci's comments to Congress today and frankly that would be almost a miracle based on past vaccine development.
The other issue is once you have a working vaccine - there will have to be a hierarchy of distribution. You have billions of people worldwide who will need to receive the vaccine, what is going to be the priority order - I don't expect college football players are going to be very high on the list.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s all about economics at this point. You can’t cancel college football otherwise entire communities of people, towns, businesses, cities will all go under.
NFL is working with a company to have built in face masks inside the helmets, cfb would follow suit. We’re playing football boys because of the dollars involved.

Your sympathy for the 120,000 people who have died is touching.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of businesses, cities, towns and people have suffered tremendously already because of the pandemic. What exactly makes College Football special?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Your sympathy for the 120,000 people who have died is touching.

Don't be mad at him. He is just answering the question of the thread. I feel the same way, that too much money is at stake. The deaths, all of them are terrible, but no way will colleges or the tiny towns survive with out the massive influx of money from football games. Season tickets, single tickets, game day tickets, bookstore sales, concession sales, parking sales, program sales etc. All about the Benjamins Baby.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The piped in noise is kind of silly but it doesn’t sound as bad as you’d think. Premier League is broadcasting the games with the piped noise but offering coverage without the noise if you have the NBC Gold pack. Bundesliga and La Liga are now doing the piped in noise. It’s all silly, just open the damn stadiums already.

Based on what we are seeing around the world i think there is basically no way they are simply going to 'open the stadiums'. The only place really doing that is New Zealand where they basically got the number of cases down to 0. Even Australia had to postpone a rugby game last week after a local oubreak.

If we get people in stadiums at all it will be in some socially distanced way. The outbreaks happening now show the folly of trying to put large numbers of people together in tight spaces as long as there is as large of community spread as we have right now.

It will also be interesting to see what ordinances are in effect come August. For example, right now in North Carolina they are in Phase 2 - which means no outdoor gathering (including rallies and sporting events) with more than 25 people.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am amazed that us season ticket holders have gotten no direction at all
Uncertainty makes cowards of us all. My Florida friends have not received their tickets either. Can you imagine trying to "safe distance" 80,000 Gator fans? That place has the most narrow seats I have ever sat in too. Everyone is close real close to one another.

Milwaukee

Banned
Based on what we are seeing around the world i think there is basically no way they are simply going to 'open the stadiums'. The only place really doing that is New Zealand where they basically got the number of cases down to 0. Even Australia had to postpone a rugby game last week after a local oubreak.

If we get people in stadiums at all it will be in some socially distanced way. The outbreaks happening now show the folly of trying to put large numbers of people together in tight spaces as long as there is as large of community spread as we have right now.

It will also be interesting to see what ordinances are in effect come August. For example, right now in North Carolina they are in Phase 2 - which means no outdoor gathering (including rallies and sporting events) with more than 25 people.

Lol these “outbreaks” you speak of are not killing more people. You’ve been wrong from the jump 3 months ago on this whole thing, stop being duped. You write your posts well though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Money. Keep up.

As long as we're all being honest here. Let's not fool ourselves, Money > Humanity. That's what it'll always be about...and it's just not college sports, or the this specific virus.

Sad, but if you want to strip life down, 90-95% of decisions will comr down to money in some way.