The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Also of note, I just spoke with my brother in law, who coaches for a high school in the ATL area. We probably won't see HS football until at least October and possibly not at all this year. He was instructed last week to start lesson planning for distance learning this fall.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The bigger question about college football is whether the colleges can open this fall. If they open and students don't follow the distancing requirements, or the college does not enforce them, what happens if a bunch of students are infected? Does the college have protection from liability suits? They are asking Congress and the White House to give them blanket liability protection along with other businesses. That sounds good until you realise that parents and employees might not be willing to accept the loss of recourse if an outbreak happens on campus.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/15/colleges-seek-protection-lawsuits-if-they-reopen
Welcome to America were everyone is looking for a fast payout by suing somebody, just watch TV and count the number of commercials with lawyers wanting to sue somebody for you.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The bigger question about college football is whether the colleges can open this fall. If they open and students don't follow the distancing requirements, or the college does not enforce them, what happens if a bunch of students are infected? Does the college have protection from liability suits? They are asking Congress and the White House to give them blanket liability protection along with other businesses. That sounds good until you realise that parents and employees might not be willing to accept the loss of recourse if an outbreak happens on campus.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/15/colleges-seek-protection-lawsuits-if-they-reopen
The kids aren't going to follow social distancing rules and in my mind they shouldn't have to when they are out of the classroom. College age kids are not at the same risk as the older generation, so in their interaction in the classroom or office hours, follow rules with the at risk people, otherwise live a normal life. The draw to an on campus education is the interaction with different people and organizations. Minus a vaccine, there is going to be outbreaks on campuses and in schools. The big question is do those leaders panic and shut everything down or not. You can't completely eliminate the risk and parents and kids should understand that.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I really value what Cuomo says he wants. He’s done such a fine job.
He has an 81% approval rating for the job he has done, including over 50% among Republicans. I’m sure you don’t like him for obvious reasons but he does have a pretty high level of credibility right now. Any decisions he makes on sports will likely resonate to others.

He has an 81% approval rating for the job he has done, including over 50% among Republicans. I’m sure you don’t like him for obvious reasons but he does have a pretty high level of credibility right now. Any decisions he makes on sports will likely resonate to others.
You mean his move to relocate Covid patients to nursing homes has met approval? WOW !!!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You mean his move to relocate Covid patients to nursing homes has met approval? WOW !!!

I watched Cuomo’s press conferences and give him good marks for being candid, speaking in terms of measures and milestones, and generally, inspiring confidence.

On the other hand, didn’t he sell his ventilators a few years ago, refuse to replace them, and had a disastrous nursing home policy?

Makes no difference to me, as NY tends to elect liberal politicians.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I watched Cuomo’s press conferences and give him good marks for being candid, speaking in terms of measures and milestones, and generally, inspiring confidence.

On the other hand, didn’t he sell his ventilators a few years ago, refuse to replace them, and had a disastrous nursing home policy?

Makes no difference to me, as NY tends to elect liberal politicians.

Politicians tend to get good marks on things like: intent, appearing to care, and speaking ability.

In the real world, people get judged on results.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I mean, thats great and all but the reality is that the job he has done has been viewed positively on a national level and overwhelmingly positive in his own state which is all that really matters. If he were to outline a plan for pro sports to return to New York people would listen and it would likely influence other states.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A few weeks ago, Birx said in the coronavirus task force press conference that they were including all deaths "with" coronavirus in the numbers. I need not explain the difference between "with" and "due to".
You need to be educated. During the AIDS epidemic, almost no one died with AIDS as the cause of death. The disease destroyed the immune system and the patient died from some other cause. But, it was AIDS that killed them. I grieved with close friends who lost family members or partners during those years. We knew the cause of death was AIDS.

If you have COVID-19 and your lungs are not delivering oxygen to your vital organs, they are going to eventually fail. Maybe it's pneumonia that kills you, but if you already had a weak heart or were overweight, it could be a heart attack. But, make no mistake, it was the coronavirus that killed you.

If anything, the death counts are being drastically undercounted by the CDC. County heath departments report the data to state health departments and then to the CDC. Along the line there are political reasons for not reporting deaths as COVID-19. Birx does not have a role in determining the cause of death or which deaths are included in the reported numbers. But, remember, the CDC is part of the administration in Washington. Do you think they are over reporting deaths while the President is saying things are getting better?

TechPreacher

Banned
You need to be educated. During the AIDS epidemic, almost no one died with AIDS as the cause of death. The disease destroyed the immune system and the patient died from some other cause. But, it was AIDS that killed them. I grieved with close friends who lost family members or partners during those years. We knew the cause of death was AIDS.

If you have COVID-19 and your lungs are not delivering oxygen to your vital organs, they are going to eventually fail. Maybe it's pneumonia that kills you, but if you already had a weak heart or were overweight, it could be a heart attack. But, make no mistake, it was the coronavirus that killed you.

If anything, the death counts are being drastically undercounted by the CDC. County heath departments report the data to state health departments and then to the CDC. Along the line there are political reasons for not reporting deaths as COVID-19. Birx does not have a role in determining the cause of death or which deaths are included in the reported numbers. But, remember, the CDC is part of the administration in Washington. Do you think they are over reporting deaths while the President is saying things are getting better?

Since you are educated, you already know that heart attack and stroke numbers have decreased. And an educated person like yourself also knows that respiratory problems increases heart deaths. Also, stress and anxiety increases them. So, where did those numbers of deaths go, when we should be seeing more heart-related deaths in the news? Did Americans suddenly get heart-healthy and stress-free in March and April? Where are they categorizing those deaths? They are labeling them as coronavirus deaths because they died "with" coronavirus, not "from" coronavirus. That is an inflated death rate.
Plus, there are untold numbers of people that have had it, didn't know it, never reported it, and are not included in the denominator of the death rate.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A few weeks ago, Birx said in the coronavirus task force press conference that they were including all deaths "with" coronavirus in the numbers. I need not explain the difference between "with" and "due to".

So, in that vein, no one ever dies from AIDS or HIV. Fake news.

If the body is weakened by COVID-19 and something else kills you, then COVID-19 was a major contributing factor.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I replied before reading your reply. Well stated...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Since you are educated, you already know that heart attack and stroke numbers have decreased. And an educated person like yourself also knows that respiratory problems increases heart deaths. Also, stress and anxiety increases them. So, where did those numbers of deaths go, when we should be seeing more heart-related deaths in the news? Did Americans suddenly get heart-healthy and stress-free in March and April? Where are they categorizing those deaths? They are labeling them as coronavirus deaths because they died "with" coronavirus, not "from" coronavirus. That is an inflated death rate.
Plus, there are untold numbers of people that have had it, didn't know it, never reported it, and are not included in the denominator of the death rate.

No one said heart attack are going down, they said they're not being treated. Big difference.

"A survey of nine major hospitals earlier this month showed the number of severe heart attacks being treated in U.S hospitals had dropped by nearly 40% since the novel coronavirus took hold in March, leaving cardiologists worried about a second wave of deaths caused indirectly by Covid-19: patients so afraid to enter hospitals that they are dying at home or waiting so long to seek care that they’re going to suffer massive damage to their hearts or brains."

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/23/coronavirus-phobia-keeping-heart-patients-away-from-er/