Tech's Likelihood of Winning

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I wish they would tell me when it’s going to rain here. And while they’re at it, the timing of the first frost and our exact record as well as the scores.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
. If you combine that with the talent gap between the teams, it's going to be a tough one for sure.
Does Louisville have that much better talent than us? Have they done really well in the portal or recruiting that I haven’t heard of?

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Does Louisville have that much better talent than us? Have they done really well in the portal or recruiting that I haven’t heard of?
I did a deep dive they loose cunningham and a good few Offensive players and say that bhrom's Defenses have been mid to bad each season

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’d put them fringe top third in the ACC but Clemson, FSU, Miami, and UNC are pretty solidly 1-4 in some order.

They were a fringe Top 25 team end of the season last year. It’s going to be a tough game.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d put them fringe top third in the ACC but Clemson, FSU, Miami, and UNC are pretty solidly 1-4 in some order.

They were a fringe Top 25 team end of the season last year. It’s going to be a tough game.
I think I saw somewhere they have a highly rated portal class.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Our recruiting has been middle to lower ranking in the ACC most of the last few years. We have done pretty well with transfers recently. Based on talent level and experience, I feel we will need to out coach teams in our immediate talent level and avoid key injuries to be above 500 this year.
Key is off to a good start recruiting this year but need some good wins to keep the momentum going. Needs to hold on to these commits and keep them for the future.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I saw somewhere they have a highly rated portal class.
https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/TransferTeamRankings/

247 has them as the #10 transfer class in the country with four 4-stars in the 21 total incoming players.

GT ranks #36 with zero 4-stars and 13 3-stars of the 16 total incoming players.

It does look like we've done better in recruiting than them in previous years, and a bunch of transfers doesn't always transfer to on the field success, so I still like our shot.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We have no idea what we have with this team. Recent past results don't give any reason for optimism.

Internally, we can look at some things and have hope that we have upside potential. Personally, I think Key is a really good coach and he's put together a staff with potential. Under TFG, I think we underperformed our talent due to having a weak culture of effort and focus. We've brought in some intriguing pieces. I think we have a couple QBs that could blossom into a special player.

But these are all hypotheticals and to be an ~8 win team, a lot of things need to go right. There are far more question marks that can go wrong for this team. This is this staff's year one. A bowl would be a huge step in the right direction, given where we were.

Preseason predictions in the ACC have always been more wrong than right. There's no telling which school will have their special season and which ones will fall on their face. Any one of Tech, Duke, Wake, NCSt, UVA, VT, UL, Cuse or Pitt, could go 10-2 or 2-10 in a given year. FSU, Miami and UNC have the talent to be top 10 with a little luck. But historically, 2/3 of those are going to be disappointments. The other will have a (really?) good season. Clemson will win 10-11 games with an ugly head-scratching loss or two.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thought you might like this:

He’s G5, but Josh Crawford has made a significant improvement with the receivers at every stop. I’ll take some of that Western Kentucky offense

That's the guy I've been most excited about. Coaches that come out of that Western Kentucky offense have done a REALLY good job elsewhere. Outside of that, Crawford has put up big numbers everywhere he's been.

One thing I wrote about earlier in the year is that I hope this offensive staff gets to have input from everyone and not just dictated down from Faulkner. I think there's some really good coaches who come from really good offenses from previous stops that can add something to our offense. We've heard that Key and Faulkner are looking to sling the ball around, and recruits have talked about how the offensive staff has sold them, so it does seem like it's a collaborative effort.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I see L'ville as a 50/50 game. One of the reasons I think it is so important. To get to a bowl game we have to win a couple of 50/50 type games.
We get a legit test in week 1 - but not an opponent we are overmatched with talent wise.
I do think L'ville upgraded at coach with Brohm - but they have holes to fill just like we do.

slugboy

Staff member
That's the guy I've been most excited about. Coaches that come out of that Western Kentucky offense have done a REALLY good job elsewhere. Outside of that, Crawford has put up big numbers everywhere he's been.

One thing I wrote about earlier in the year is that I hope this offensive staff gets to have input from everyone and not just dictated down from Faulkner. I think there's some really good coaches who come from really good offenses from previous stops that can add something to our offense. We've heard that Key and Faulkner are looking to sling the ball around, and recruits have talked about how the offensive staff has sold them, so it does seem like it's a collaborative effort.

Western Carolina’s offensive stats were much better than ours last year (and their defense wasn’t far off from ours). Wake and Duke were actually both higher still, but WKU was just ahead of the Coastal Carolina team I liked to gush about. Louisville was #24 overall in FEI and we were down at 96. Offense and Special Teams kept us down—we were 109th in offense and 124th in special teams, while we were #40 on defense. If we could get them all around 50th, we’d improve massively even if the defense slipped a bit. If—and it’s a big if—coaching was the big issue on offense and special teams, then we could get a lot better.

We’d still face an uphill battle against teams like Ole Miss, and we’d need to get a little crazy, but we’d have a puncher’s chance in a lot of games.

RkTeamRecFBSOFEI
15Wake Forest8-57-51.05
41Western Kentucky9-58-5.33
42Coastal Carolina9-48-4.33
109Georgia Tech 5-7 4-7 -.69

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To me, this reinforces the value of point spreads as a format for predicting football games. I would characterize most of our games as tossups, but to look at these probability numbers, it makes it seem as though we’re going to get spanked by Syracuse and Wake Forest. We may lose both of those games, but I don’t think we’re so bad that those teams can just pencil in a win against us.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
To me, this reinforces the value of point spreads as a format for predicting football games. I would characterize most of our games as tossups, but to look at these probability numbers, it makes it seem as though we’re going to get spanked by Syracuse and Wake Forest. We may lose both of those games, but I don’t think we’re so bad that those teams can just pencil in a win against us.
I hope they do.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t know about y’all but I saw a really dynamic offense at spring game.

At least 5 receivers looked fast, reliable and worthy of more yards post catch. Leonard is alright, and a valuable blocker, but Ward was making some hard catches and looking athletic with the ball after- which we know Faulkner likes.

Donate is solid as ever and I think Dickens looks already as good, maybe even more talented. (I really think he’s gonna be our guy, if not this year the next)

Our defense might take a little step back because of keion and Charlie gone, but our secondary is a force to be reckoned with. I think the big uglies in the middle are gonna clog holes to the likes we haven’t seen in awhile.

Call me the thirstiest gold koolaid drinker here but I saw a team that’s got a higher chance of going bowling than not, if the weapons stay healthy.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Friday night in Atlanta first game and Louisville has a new QB and new head coach. I like our chances. Ga Tech needs to get this win and get some confidence going early in the season. This is a huge game for the Jackets guys. I believe they’ll come ready to play baby.
My concern is that if we LOSE that game, how much will fan enthusiasm and player engagement drop?

This is one game where I fear a loss more than hope for a win.