Tech fans are awful

Last week or so we were bombarded on this forum about wearing gold. I sat in the N stands on Saturday with a lot of Mercer fans and I took notice of who was wearing what. The men and women from Mercer were mostly all wearing orange tees. Those tees were pretty uniform in color. There was a lot of gold in the stands but also a lot of navy and other colors. The Tech fan women are the worst offenders not wearing gold, or even navy for that matter. There was a noticeable difference in the numbers of Mercer couples both wearing team colors and the much fewer Tech couples who were both wearing team colors. So like most things lets blame the women (for the lack of gold color in the stands).

I blasted my daughter (GT alumni) with these facts and she responded that the GT team color clothing is made for men and it does not fit women (even tho she wore a poorly fitting gold Tee). The Mercer women seemed to be doing just fine in those colorful orange Tees. Any thoughts?
I thought there was more gold in the stadium yesterday than I have ever seen before. As far as women's clothing, women fans at other schools just wear oversized t's or jerseys. Tech women fans should ditch their vanity, or whatever it is, and do the same.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
....see u in 20 years it will be the same :(

It may be worse. there will be few if any of us on this side of the dirt in 20 +/- years. I don't think the kids, outside of the ones who play the sport, seem to care much about it anymore. As a student, we used to get in line at 10 or so for the 1 o'clock kickoff to get the best possible seats.

It may be worse. there will be few if any of us on this side of the dirt in 20 +/- years. I don't think the kids, outside of the ones who play the sport, seem to care much about it anymore. As a student, we used to get in line at 10 or so for the 1 o'clock kickoff to get the best possible seats.
Why does that seem to be a problem only at Tech. I noticed the ND student section in South Bend last year was packed a good 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Are liberal arts majors that much more interested in sports than engineering/science students? I would think it would be the opposite, since so many liberal arts students seem to live in a different world than the rest of us.

Not trying to bust bubbles, but I've talked to several players from the 80's and 90's and main reason for lack of support is Paul Johnson. Not getting into a pissing contest w/anyone about this, but that is the reason. He is not enduring to alum on a whole and his style of football is not well received. He's lucky he got to deal w/ the worst admin in school history where he leveraged a nice retirement contract where he can't be fired w/out severe consequences to ma Tech. The atmosphere at games has definitely changed from when I was going in the late 80's and entire 90's to where it is now.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought there was more gold in the stadium yesterday than I have ever seen before. As far as women's clothing, women fans at other schools just wear oversized t's or jerseys. Tech women fans should ditch their vanity, or whatever it is, and do the same.
Had an interesting, if not ego enhancing, conversation on this point once. A certain person demanded the offering of women's cut T's for gender equality. Which sounds fair enough, but you essentially have to buy a couple tiers of quality up for a lot more a unit.

The person in charge of the T shirts (herself a woman) pointed out the economics of the situation, that we weren't buying similar quality T shirts for men, and then pointed at me and said something like "can you really say that T shirt would fit you any less well than it fits him?"

Ouch.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For one thing there was no one there. For another it was hotter'n hades! I made it in the upper north until halfway the first qtr. Spent the rest in a breezeway with a view of the screen. No more games in hot weather for me!

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
Last week or so we were bombarded on this forum about wearing gold. I sat in the N stands on Saturday with a lot of Mercer fans and I took notice of who was wearing what. The men and women from Mercer were mostly all wearing orange tees. Those tees were pretty uniform in color. There was a lot of gold in the stands but also a lot of navy and other colors. The Tech fan women are the worst offenders not wearing gold, or even navy for that matter. There was a noticeable difference in the numbers of Mercer couples both wearing team colors and the much fewer Tech couples who were both wearing team colors. So like most things lets blame the women (for the lack of gold color in the stands).

I blasted my daughter (GT alumni) with these facts and she responded that the GT team color clothing is made for men and it does not fit women (even tho she wore a poorly fitting gold Tee). The Mercer women seemed to be doing just fine in those colorful orange Tees. Any thoughts?
I'm a woman. I have season tickets. I wear gold to the games, even if the shirts I buy are technically made for men. I stand and cheer for our players (especially on 3rd down). I was in Ireland and, in case of rain and in case it was wet during the game, I brought a gold rain coat so that all my bases were covered. Didn't need it, but I had it!

Been watching the negativity increase since the BC game and all I will say is no matter what, my gold-clad butt will be at Bobby Dodd.

Go Jackets!

Not trying to bust bubbles, but I've talked to several players from the 80's and 90's and main reason for lack of support is Paul Johnson. Not getting into a pissing contest w/anyone about this, but that is the reason. He is not enduring to alum on a whole and his style of football is not well received. He's lucky he got to deal w/ the worst admin in school history where he leveraged a nice retirement contract where he can't be fired w/out severe consequences to ma Tech. The atmosphere at games has definitely changed from when I was going in the late 80's and entire 90's to where it is now.
For one thing there was no one there. For another it was hotter'n hades! I made it in the upper north until halfway the first qtr. Spent the rest in a breezeway with a view of the screen. No more games in hot weather for me!
I am 72 years old, and I sat through it and probably will sit through the same kind of heat next week. If I can do it, anyone can. I support my team no matter how hot or cold or wet. You should too.

I'm a woman. I have season tickets. I wear gold to the games, even if the shirts I buy are technically made for men. I stand and cheer for our players (especially on 3rd down). I was in Ireland and, in case of rain and in case it was wet during the game, I brought a gold rain coat so that all my bases were covered. Didn't need it, but I had it!

Been watching the negativity increase since the BC game and all I will say is no matter what, my gold-clad butt will be at Bobby Dodd.

Go Jackets!
And God Bless You !!!

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I wore gold just for you yesterday. Haha. I always wear a gold golf polo though for luck. Still, kind of weird I think about @Supersizethatorder-mutt when putting my shirt on for a game.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
You want to hear about a bad fan? When I got home last week, I ran into a man and his wife on my plane who had been to Ireland. When I asked him what he thought about the game, he said that he had watched it on TV in a bar in Dublin, because of the rain. I told him that the seating area of the stadium was completely covered, and he said that he didn't know that ahead of time. Hell, all he had to do was look at any photo of the stadium, and that was obvious. Besides, it never really rained anyway, the worst it ever got was a light mist, except for when going to the stadium. I guess it must be nice to have money to burn like that, but I would have been embarrassed to admit that I went all the way to Dublin only to sit in a bar because I didn't want to get wet. SHEESH !!!

I hate the snark in this expression so I almost never use it, but..."wow"

EDIT: I do agree that it doesn't represent 99.9% of the GT fans. I'm just reacting on a human level to the story.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

We used to camp in tents the night before ticket handout for big games. The line went around the stadium to north avenue from the ticket office window.

Gtaa ruined ticket giving....that is what it was all about

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
When I've brought fans to games at Tech I'm always a little embarrassed by the lack of die hard support.
The gold back seats in the east are the worst, I get it it's hot but those seats are the best in the stadium and more than 3/4 of the people that have them are inside the stadium away from the game.
I remember the Miami game in 14, that was a solid atmosphere but in the upper west seats it was the most wine and cheese crowd I've ever witnessed. I felt out of place cheering out loud!! My wife said the same thing. I'll never buy a ticket up there again. There's only a small fraction that really cares about GT competing at a high level, the rest could care less. GT people get to caught up in not being "one of them" insert rabid fanbase. Kind of strange.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I do believethat Johnson's attitude and demeanor is alot of the problem. He really does not promote the program and certainly does not endear himself to reporters. I personally think he bears some blame for the last two AD's leaving.In short, he only cares about himself, not the Institute.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
The Tech fanbase only really shows up when Tech is playing a marquee opponent. This typically means FSU, UGA, or Clemson. Maybe VT and Miami. That's sad because Bobby Dodd can really get rocking when that place is packed out.

As far as Upper West, I've had those seats for six years and moved down this year. I was surrounded by opposing fans for most of the big games, but even worse were the Tech fans at the "non-marquee" games. North Carolina last year was one that really stood out. These are the fans who think we should win every game by 45-0 and anything less is an utter embarrassment for our team. Generally, they make sure everyone around them knows how pissed they are at our team instead of actually cheering or making some noise.

I had to miss yesterday's game, but I'm hoping Lower West is a bit more rowdy.

EDIT: In regards to Paul Johnson, I know Tech fans who couldn't enjoy 2014 and one of the best offenses we've ever fielded because they have some sort of personal vendetta against Paul Johnson. But those fans aren't generally buying season tickets anyways. But I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest in regards to coaching.

The Tech fanbase only really shows up when Tech is playing a marquee opponent. This typically means FSU, UGA, or Clemson. Maybe VT and Miami. That's sad because Bobby Dodd can really get rocking when that place is packed out.

As far as Upper West, I've had those seats for six years and moved down this year. I was surrounded by opposing fans for most of the big games, but even worse were the Tech fans at the "non-marquee" games. North Carolina last year was one that really stood out. These are the fans who think we should win every game by 45-0 and anything less is an utter embarrassment for our team. Generally, they make sure everyone around them knows how pissed they are at our team instead of actually cheering or making some noise.

I had to miss yesterday's game, but I'm hoping Lower West is a bit more rowdy.

EDIT: In regards to Paul Johnson, I know Tech fans who couldn't enjoy 2014 and one of the best offenses we've ever fielded because they have some sort of personal vendetta against Paul Johnson. But those fans aren't generally buying season tickets anyways. But I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest in regards to coaching.
I don't know how rowdy lower west was yesterday, but there was an awful lot of gold in there. I was stunned and impressed.