Starting QB next year.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Saw where we had a coach visiting JUCO Vic Viramontes too. He had major interest in us out of HS before picking Michigan. Has since transferred from there.

from what i just read. he played juco for one year as a qb. signed with minnesota not michigan. changed his mind and went back to juco for year 2 where he changed positions and is now ranked the no 2 juco linebacker at 6-3 and 230 pounds. ????

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
While I am enthusiastic about the CGC hire, the Villanova loss was BAD. It's one thing when an FCS school like (formerly) App State, GaSo, or NDSU notches a win against an FBS school, but 'Nova was 5-6 this year. They weren't even a particularly good FCS school.

It was, however, the first game of the season, so plenty of time for an FCS team to outscheme an FBS foe that was overlooking them.

Overall, I'm in the he's my coach so I am going to support him camp.
Beat Maryland 35-14. Same Maryland that beat Texas and destroyed Minnesota (42-13). Can't base everything on a single game. We needed a miracle play by JT to beat Georgia Southern during CPJ's best season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Beat Maryland 35-14. Same Maryland that beat Texas and destroyed Minnesota (42-13). Can't base everything on a single game. We needed a miracle play by JT to beat Georgia Southern during CPJ's best season.
Absolutely true. But GaSo wasn't a bad FCS team. They were 9-3 that season with their losses being to NCSU, GT and Navy. That was their first year as FBS, and they were undefeated in their conference.

You are absolutely correct in gauging results off one game though. My point was that it was a bad loss. Same as the MTSU disaster we went through a few years ago.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely true. But GaSo wasn't a bad FCS team. They were 9-3 that season with their losses being to NCSU, GT and Navy. That was their first year as FBS, and they were undefeated in their conference.

You are absolutely correct in gauging results off one game though. My point was that it was a bad loss. Same as the MTSU disaster we went through a few years ago.
I think it also shows what happens when you don’t have the right guy at QB. Temple was a much different team later in the year after they figured out who their guy was. You can question the coaches or it could simply be that some guys can’t handle the situation when it’s live and sometimes it takes game time to figure that out.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think it also shows what happens when you don’t have the right guy at QB. Temple was a much different team later in the year after they figured out who their guy was. You can question the coaches or it could simply be that some guys can’t handle the situation when it’s live and sometimes it takes game time to figure that out.

That's also a valid point. I also stated that it was an opening game, and I am more prone to forgive losses in the opener when a team has all summer to scheme for the game. My main point was that no matter what excuse is given, it's a BAD loss. Good coaches have bad losses sometimes. I just don't try to cover them up. It doesn't, IMO, negate all the good CGC has done as a coach.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Imagine what GT would look like next year if we had a QB like Lawrence to make the transition to the RPO. Maybe we can keep talent like that from leaving the state when the recruiting gets cranked up with the new Juice in town!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Imagine what GT would look like next year if we had a QB like Lawrence to make the transition to the RPO.

2 of the top 5 Pro Style QBs are from GA next year. CGC is actively recruiting the top one that's currently committed to Tennessee. CGC is also recruiting the top overall QB next class.

CGC has a mountain to climb to get into the conversation with both, but 2021 class we should have a REALLY good shot with some high level QBs.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Might be a little easier for Saban and Bama to turn loose of Keys tomorrow after getting whipped by Clemson tonight. Curious to see if we get "official" word tomorrow!

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Might be a little easier for Saban and Bama to turn loose of Keys tomorrow after getting whipped by Clemson tonight. Curious to see if we get "official" word tomorrow!

Despite Alabama’s crushing loss to Clemson, Brent Key is still an excellent OL coach. He has done a great job for Nick Saban.

I have no idea if Brent is coming to Tech, but I do hope he does. He will be a great addition to Coach Collins’s staff.

We will know what he decides to do soon enough.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I didn't think AL OL was the issue for AL tonight. They ran basically at will against Clemson's D most of the night. AL actually led most stats until the 4th quarter. But Tua had a horrible game, Clemson's D made great stops when it had to and Clemson's O just made big plays all night when it needed to.

from what i just read. he played juco for one year as a qb. signed with minnesota not michigan. changed his mind and went back to juco for year 2 where he changed positions and is now ranked the no 2 juco linebacker at 6-3 and 230 pounds. ????

Let's go get him anyway, we need more athletic LBers