Spring Preview: Running Backs

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Your thoughts?

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

Its possible we are going to have some fullback sets as well. Bruce might be blocking and who knows he might be a hell of a pass blocker.

Fullback in the gun sense of it. Similar to the Carolina offense under rivera

Yup, I mean he is like 230 lbs. Nobody wants to have to tackle that BAMF. 3 4-star RBs now.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
From ajc: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-tech-spring-preview-running-backs/fNC7Wzq3NyIvYxXvwE1nMI/

Who’s gone: Jerry Howard (position change)

Who’s back: Tony Amerson, Devin Ellison, Jamious Griffin, Christian Malloy, Jordan Mason, Dontae Smith

Who’s new: Bruce Jordan-Swilling (position change), Jahmyr Gibbs

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No issues with the talent here, just how and how often they are used. I just hope recent history is not an indication of coming events.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is easily the best position on the team. The real question is how that talent gets used. Last year we wasted a lot of it by declaring that we would simply not run too many 2 back sets. I can see that; there was no reason to restrict Mason's carries (though early in the year we did). Now we need to get the talent on the field, but, as I keep saying, that'll be up to the players. Mason starts and, since Howard moves, Griffin gets first chance for coming off the bench. For the rest … well, spring will tell the tale. I do expect that some of these players will transfer, but I'm not sure who they will be.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I hope Bruce redshirts, gets his foot healthy and gets into to RB shape. He could be a big asset next year when Mason is gone. Could be a good short yardage/ gosling type full back
Agree 1000% hoping he and Jerry both redshirt. I’m not sure if 4 game rule apply a for them but if so I’d love to see them only play 4 against the best 4 we play.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Best RB group in the southeast. Yea I said it.
I think before the season is over it will be talked about nationally. This is the most talent I can remember at Tech in the backfield ever. She going by stars and production from Mason, if this were an SEC team ESPN would be all over it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Agree 1000% hoping he and Jerry both redshirt. I’m not sure if 4 game rule apply a for them but if so I’d love to see them only play 4 against the best 4 we play.
I second this. Bruce has been plagued by injury since his senior year in high school. He needs to get healthy, wherever he ends up. There's no reason, given the depth here, that the coaches can't make that happen. He'll be a strong competitor in 2021 if he can get well.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Along with wide receiver this is the most overstocked position on the team. Here is how I would rank them:

J. Mason
(J. Howard)
C. Malloy
J. Griffin
J. Gibbs
T. Amerson
D. Ellison
D. Smith
B. J. Swilling

I don't get moving Howard to linebacker unless he is one bad mother and is going to crush a lot of skulls. He was our second best running back and I look for him to be back in that position after this little experiment. Swilling makes no sense either. I think the coaches are just granting him his wish to be a running back. I hope he is the best running back on the team but a do not think this will work out. 6 deep is as far as we need to go, so I look for 2 or 3 of these guys to be processed. Any of them are talented enough to find a spot somewhere else. I really like Amerson, Ellison and Smith but it just seems they are not going to play much at GT.

Mason is a really good back and if he can sustain his effort for a full game he could be All Conference first team. To me Malloy is a really tough runner and is a bit like Dedrick Mills in being able to get that tough last yard for the first down or touchdown. Griffin should be better and Gibbs should be very special and see the field early. We really need to gear our offense around being able to use at least 2 running backs on every play, if not we are wasting this talent.

Go Jackets!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Along with wide receiver this is the most overstocked position on the team. Here is how I would rank them:

J. Mason
(J. Howard)
C. Malloy
J. Griffin
J. Gibbs
T. Amerson
D. Ellison
D. Smith
B. J. Swilling

I don't get moving Howard to linebacker unless he is one bad mother and is going to crush a lot of skulls. He was our second best running back and I look for him to be back in that position after this little experiment. Swilling makes no sense either. I think the coaches are just granting him his wish to be a running back. I hope he is the best running back on the team but a do not think this will work out. 6 deep is as far as we need to go, so I look for 2 or 3 of these guys to be processed. Any of them are talented enough to find a spot somewhere else. I really like Amerson, Ellison and Smith but it just seems they are not going to play much at GT.

Mason is a really good back and if he can sustain his effort for a full game he could be All Conference first team. To me Malloy is a really tough runner and is a bit like Dedrick Mills in being able to get that tough last yard for the first down or touchdown. Griffin should be better and Gibbs should be very special and see the field early. We really need to gear our offense around being able to use at least 2 running backs on every play, if not we are wasting this talent.

Go Jackets!
What is your rating of Malloy based on? Dude wasn't in the top 3 backs last season and has 11 carries total over 2 years.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
IMO the most underrated back in this group is D Smith. He and Griffin can "go". Next to Mason I like them both. We know what Mason can do. Malloy is a solid and similar power back like Howard and Mason, yet to have much opportunity to prove how good. My pecking order is Mason, Griffin, Smith, and Malloy. The others have not seen the college field so their pecking order is still unknown and we can only speculate, although there is much anticipation for Gibbs.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've said here before that Malloy is a very talented back. If Paul had stayed I was looking forward to a backfield with him and Cottrell at AB and The Two-Headed Monster at BB. But he hasn't been getting too many chances to show what he can do. I've been wondering if he was hurt and nobody let on, but I heard nothing along those lines. Still, Malloy did very well in spring last year; we'll have to see if he's up to the competition with the new additions.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I've said here before that Malloy is a very talented back. If Paul had stayed I was looking forward to a backfield with him and Cottrell at AB and The Two-Headed Monster at BB. But he hasn't been getting too many chances to show what he can do. I've been wondering if he was hurt and nobody let on, but I heard nothing along those lines. Still, Malloy did very well in spring last year; we'll have to see if he's up to the competition with the new additions.
I’d like to see Malloy get Howard’s reps. I think he can be an asset for us. I’ve said earlier I think BJS can be a plus for us in the backfield but i’d like to see him RS

Last edited: