Spring Practice

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

Who does he ask about in the last question? He says “ …… got his first full season on the field last year” and Biggers said he should be one of the best DLs. Couldn’t make it out. Thought it was Scott but he’s been here longer than a year.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Watched Key’s post scrimmage video and he was very high on the transfer Jackson Hawes from Yale. I think he said he was 6’ 4” and 260 lbs of real man. He is playing tight end with the ones. Seither and Goode are being held out with healing injuries.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Key has hired a staff of coaches , analysts, etc that need to be difference makers. NOW
They need to clearly make our players get better faster than players on other teams.
It's a great plan and it matches our schools tradition.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
That second starting LB will be interesting. I assume Efford is a solid starter. There is some real good competition for that other spot.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That second starting LB will be interesting. I assume Efford is a solid starter. There is some real good competition for that other spot.
I got the sense that we may run three linebackers out there every now and then with one in a "rush" position. I am looking forward to the fall!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As usual, there's a lot of coach-speak there. It's hard to say how the coaching staff will meld and what our results will be as a consequence. I think the O side is pretty steady and the D side has potential. But that's why we play the games: to see if the players and coaches have been able to coordinate for success.

I'm pretty confident that will happen. The only question is whether our schedule will allow success to emerge. Let's hope so. I'll be in the stands no matter what.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Lightsey will be in the mix with Efford. If Tatum will put on some weight and take to the coaching, he can be a good contributor. I think the transfer from Louisville can also contribute. We won't be world beaters, but I think we have a chance to be better and can be as good as 80% of our competition at the linebacker position. I would not be surprised if we do not add a transfer here prior to the fall camp.

Go Jackets!

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds like Lightsey will be in the mix with Efford. If Tatum will put on some weight and take to the coaching, he can be a good contributor. I think the transfer from Louisville can also contribute. We won't be world beaters, but I think we have a chance to be better and can be as good as 80% of our competition at the linebacker position. I would not be surprised if we do not add a transfer here prior to the fall camp.

Go Jackets!
I think we upgraded our coordinator and staff on defense, which is a great step forward.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am mildly uncomfortable relying on new coahces to make significant improvement in our D in year 1. Usually it takes a combination of good players and good coaches. I am not sure our coaching was our only weakness last year.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am mildly uncomfortable relying on new coahces to make significant improvement in our D in year 1. Usually it takes a combination of good players and good coaches. I am not sure our coaching was our only weakness last year.
Of course. Coaches can only get the best out of a particular athlete. That is limited to their individual skill set. Coaching alone can only do so much.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it depends on where you're starting. When you're performing as a unit at the bottom quartile, that's a personnel AND coaching problem and a new coach can make a much bigger difference IMO. The ability to scheme for a game and make the right calls in-game are all on the coaches, and it's quite possible that with the same players you can get a nice move up in production just from better coaching.