Spring Practice - Day #2

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What's the rationale for 2 days in no pads/hitting? I'm just not sure what is gained by doing that. I can see one day.

NCAA Rules

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/football-practice-guidelines

"Of the 15 allowable sessions that may occur during the spring practice season, eight (8) practices may involve live contact; three (3) of these live contact practices may include greater than 50 percent live contact (scrimmages). Live contact practices are limited to two (2) in a given week and may not occur on consecutive days."

http://www.ehow.com/list_6926711_ncaa-spring-football-practice-rules.html

Only 12 spring practices may permit physical contact, none earlier than the third practice session. Tackling is allowed in eight of the twelve contact sessions. Up to three of the eight tackling sessions may be devoted to 11-on-11 scrimmages. The optional spring game counts as one of the three scrimmage days.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to see how the coaches have "scripted" spring practice in order to comply with these rules. Fifteen allowable sessions over a 26-day period means taking more than three Sundays off. What do the players/coaches do on the other off days? Watch film?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I would like to see how the coaches have "scripted" spring practice in order to comply with these rules. Fifteen allowable sessions over a 26-day period means taking more than three Sundays off. What do the players/coaches do on the other off days? Watch film?

We practice

Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday
Monday Wednesday Friday

That final Friday is of course the Spring game.

During the week the players do the usual...workouts and film on off days...some players still get together and practice it's just the coaches cant be there.

Sunday is a off day...Nothing mandatory that day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
A lot of schools follow the GT pattern, or Tech follows their pattern. Not a lot of wiggle room in the period, anyway.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
NCAA Rules

http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/football-practice-guidelines

"Of the 15 allowable sessions that may occur during the spring practice season, eight (8) practices may involve live contact; three (3) of these live contact practices may include greater than 50 percent live contact (scrimmages). Live contact practices are limited to two (2) in a given week and may not occur on consecutive days."

http://www.ehow.com/list_6926711_ncaa-spring-football-practice-rules.html

Only 12 spring practices may permit physical contact, none earlier than the third practice session. Tackling is allowed in eight of the twelve contact sessions. Up to three of the eight tackling sessions may be devoted to 11-on-11 scrimmages. The optional spring game counts as one of the three scrimmage days.
What is contact that is not tackling? Blocking? Or is that thing DBs like to do when they just hit the receiver with their shoulder instead of actually tackling? :p

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What's the rationale for 2 days in no pads/hitting? I'm just not sure what is gained by doing that. I can see one day.

Only time of the year you will get a full indepth lesson on fundamentals, technique, how and why we run our base O/D. Before you can hit, you have to be in position to hit and that is what you learn these couple of days w/o pads

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
After the year he had, literally from nowhere, he should be floating over the practice field. He is a player.

DJ had a good Sophomore year too...had 50 tackles and started 9 games. Don't forget how great he was against Ole Miss..had 13 tackles (11 solo), forced two fumbles and had a INT.

It was clear to see his talent level...but he did take a big jump his Junior year...Can't wait to see where he is at this year.