Special Teams

Jmonty71

Banned
Last year... Face it.. Our Special Teams, wasn't very special. Matters how to define "special", I suppose. Anyone have any insight on how improved the Special Teams should be? I understand we have a pretty good punter. However; the kick-off squad and the FG kicking squad did not do so hot. I think Special Teams will make or break us, in one or two games, this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Last year... Face it.. Our Special Teams, wasn't very special. Matters how to define "special", I suppose. Anyone have any insight on how improved the Special Teams should be? I understand we have a pretty good punter. However; the kick-off squad and the FG kicking squad did not do so hot. I think Special Teams will make or break us, in one or two games, this year.
Well it was special but the other way.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems like our special teams are usually special in a bad way, unless we have an individual standout like Butker. I don't understand why this has to be the case. Are we so thin on athletic talent we just can't cover kicks well, coaching issues, lack of effective ST practice time, or what?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Well the new kickoff rule should help us, but I think the kicking game will continue to struggle.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Swamped right now with work. But I'll put something together with stats by different phases of the game. And what we should be looking for in the first few games.

Harvin is the only bright spot on returning kickers. Brad Stewart is very good at catching the ball but then doesn't usually have much space to return.

After that, it's all unknown. CPJ's comment that the kickers are all about the same and implied mediocre is a definite negative. CPJ pretty much tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat.

I think if our STs are the same as last year, we'll be fighting to make a bowl game. And that is really sad as we should be able to recruit better for ST than say for DL.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think we have more good athletes now than the last few years. Athletic LBers, DBers, running backs, even some athletic DEs.

Imo our coverage should be good all other things being equal. I think our punting will be better than equal mostly. I fear our other kicking tasks will be detrimental. So prepare for some frustrations there until we get another great kicker.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Swamped right now with work. But I'll put something together with stats by different phases of the game. And what we should be looking for in the first few games.

Harvin is the only bright spot on returning kickers. Brad Stewart is very good at catching the ball but then doesn't usually have much space to return.

After that, it's all unknown. CPJ's comment that the kickers are all about the same and implied mediocre is a definite negative. CPJ pretty much tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat.

I think if our STs are the same as last year, we'll be fighting to make a bowl game. And that is really sad as we should be able to recruit better for ST than say for DL.

Thanks I know how it can be with work keeping you busy. I look forward (as always) to your perspective when you get the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmonty71

Banned
I think we have more good athletes now than the last few years. Athletic LBers, DBers, running backs, even some athletic DEs.

Imo our coverage should be good all other things being equal. I think our punting will be better than equal mostly. I fear our other kicking tasks will be detrimental. So prepare for some frustrations there until we get another great kicker.
More gooder athletes!!! Spoken in correct Ugag tongue. I learned a new language. Ugagian. :smuggrin:

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Folks we would be 2 and 0 if it were not for the poor special teams play simple as that regardless all of the talk had bad the defense played; If you looked at the opening kickoff last week The same guy almost broke that for a touchdown so that would had been 3 touchdown returns

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Folks we would be 2 and 0 if it were not for the poor special teams play simple as that regardless all of the talk had bad the defense played; If you looked at the opening kickoff last week The same guy almost broke that for a touchdown so that would had been 3 touchdown returns
No! Still due to D not getting a stop in the 4th qtr.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

But 2-0 would still be masking a lot of problems .