So When Will Practice Start Again??

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Considering that college age students are not even .1% likley to die or have serious issues if they catch this virus, why wouldn't they be on campus? .
You can’t know this with any type of certainty. This virus could potentially have serious long term effects that we have no idea about.

It might not, but we won’t know for years.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m actually in the camp of starting to open things up. Stores and restaurants but with social distancing and strict sanitation guidelines. Grand Teton and Yellowstone are opening Monday. Get outside and put your family in an RV.

But, things like concerts and sporting events need to be either put on hold or played without spectators. You can stream concerts and have games on TV but there’s no way to have large groups for awhile.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
After seeing where this thread derailed . . .

source.gif

slugboy

Staff member
Just FYI y'all, if you don't reply to the political posts, I only have to move one. The report button does work--we don't always agree with the report, but we see the reports.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Considering that college age students are not even .1% likley to die or have serious issues if they catch this virus, why wouldn't they be on campus? To make the football team safe, just cancel the Yellow Jacket Walk, as that is the only interaction between fans and players. The fans that want to go to games are required to wear masks. Where's the problem with having a season?

Just because you don't want to, or don't feel safe going, then don't go. But don't stop others who want to go with the right precautions.
There are statistics and there are damned statistics. I am not sure where you came up with such a number but you haven't been paying attention. Every university I have read about understands the dangers and is making contingency plans based on some ratio of in class/online courses, alternating to keep spacing in the classroom. And knowing that once out of the classroom, college kids congregate. There are no "right precautions" to make students safe and wishing does not make it so. This is serious stuff and needs to be taken seriously. If missing another semester of college, and the sports that entails, is all the "sacrifice "this generation makes, then it becomes the Luckiest Generation. This is a global pandemic. Football is superfluous.

LibertyTurns

Banned

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
There are statistics and there are damned statistics. I am not sure where you came up with such a number but you haven't been paying attention. Every university I have read about understands the dangers and is making contingency plans based on some ratio of in class/online courses, alternating to keep spacing in the classroom. And knowing that once out of the classroom, college kids congregate. There are no "right precautions" to make students safe and wishing does not make it so. This is serious stuff and needs to be taken seriously. If missing another semester of college, and the sports that entails, is all the "sacrifice "this generation makes, then it becomes the Luckiest Generation. This is a global pandemic. Football is superfluous.

I don't get my news from any of the major news sources, right or left leaning. Independent and out of country reporting is better than those with any type of agenda. Look at Colorado, late yesterday they came out and revised their covid deaths DOWN. Why you ask. The CDC says that covid should be listed as the main cause of death, anytime the patient tests positive. That is where you are hearing the joke of people getting shot in the head but they have the virus, so they died from the virus. I suspect that many states will follow Colorado's lead and the actual death totals from covid will go down. Case in point, the mayor of my town died in early March. He tested negative twice and the final test came back positive from the virus. BUT, the final test was take 2 days after the previous one and he had passed away before the results came back. So did he really die from it? (I'm not getting into the debate about hospitals getting upwards of $39,000 per covid death, but I have friends in the medical field who have told me what they have seen.)

I'm not advocating for people to die, and I'm not saying that the economy is more important that life. I fall on both sides. My family run business with 3 employees had our worst month in the past 20 years in April. and that includes 3 months we were closed in 2001. My grandmother recently passed away, not because she had the virus (the hospital 80 miles east of Atlanta was determined that she had it despite 3 negative tests) but due to the nursing home she was at being locked down to all outside visitors; despite only 13 cases and no deaths reported in the county she lived in. She was the matriarch of our family and the last of her 7 siblings and their spouses alive. She loved people and people would stop by her house, even if it meant a 2 hour out of the way drive just to spend a few hours with her. She died of loneliness. (kidney failure was the official cause)

Humans are social creatures. We are not made to be locked up in our houses away from other people. You are seeing this across the country as the weather becomes nice and states start opening up. In 2001 after the attacks, we went back into large buildings for sporting events saying we wouldn't let the terrorist win. The same can be said for this virus. Look a Sweden. They are following the data that says that this is a deadly virus, but the younger the age, the exponential lower possibility of getting sick, much less dying. So they are opening everything up, aside nursing homes and hospitals, and they are seeing the cases go down.

At some point, personal responsibility has to take over. If a student doesn't feel safe to return to campus, then distance learning is available--just like it has been for at least 20 years. But to shut everything down, over 100 days before school starts is crazy and paranoid.

Just remember, the number that should be leading every news cast on every station everyday is the ratio of positive tests to deaths. The more tests, the more positives, but not necessarily more deaths. And raw data is already showing a fast growing ratio.