Shamire Devine

Matt E

GT Athlete
I can't comment as to what is wrong with Shamire, but my observation was Will Bryan and Parker Braun played very well down the stretch. Perhaps the lack of playing time had more to do with how those guys stepped up

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Devine played on special team in the bowl game.

He's only played on field goal team the last few weeks IIRC. My opinion is that he's probably done with football, thus the coaches got the young guys in.

He's always been a cerebral kid and it's been suggested that he's tired of the constant weight-loss regime. Certainly understandable. Him playing on ST's (I'm reaching here) seems to be him being a team-player instead of quitting on his team which would also be admirable.

Again, this is all simply my opinion and supposition. If I were him I'd go pro but, if he decided to go pro, it's stand to reason that he wouldn't play on ST's. Anyway, I'm sure we'll know something soon.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Seems as if he played great vs VT - then nothing.

He could contribute to this program.

In the game he got hurt he was doing well.

When JT was out for vt and we ran QB up middle , sham was good.
Maybe he will be in the mix next year.
Would love to see him help on larger NT and DT which we will face from better p5 teams.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, odd he played one of his best games of the year...and then his playing time pretty much evaporated. Something going on there.

Whatever happens with Shamire in terms of football only Shamire and the staff knows. But I do hope he finishes that degree.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He's only played on field goal team the last few weeks IIRC. My opinion is that he's probably done with football, thus the coaches got the young guys in.

He's always been a cerebral kid and it's been suggested that he's tired of the constant weight-loss regime. Certainly understandable. Him playing on ST's (I'm reaching here) seems to be him being a team-player instead of quitting on his team which would also be admirable.

Again, this is all simply my opinion and supposition. If I were him I'd go pro but, if he decided to go pro, it's stand to reason that he wouldn't play on ST's. Anyway, I'm sure we'll know something soon.

I have had the same nagging suspicion for a while. He is on track to graduate this spring, IIRC, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go pro as a computer engineer rather than continue to beat his body on the gridiron. Whatever he chooses, my hat's off to him for leveraging his talent to get a very useful degree.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The reason the coaches gave for his not playing as much made sense: the Ds for the last two teams tended to not favor drive blocking. VT's D sure did and Shamire killed Barron in that game. Then UK lines up with nobody over guard on either side. Soooooo … not much Shamire.

Personally, I'd have played him anyway and, if Will moves back to OT (you heard it here first), I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting again. I hope he does; we're a better team with him at guard, especially with Mills and MJ leading a QB/BB attack next year. But other speculations here could be right as well.

Whatever the upshot is, I appreciate his time at Tech and his efforts for the team. Shamire, do us a favor and play next year.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
DeVine was in for the very last series in the 1st half that ended with a FG. These plays were all passes.

I agree... the issue was the way UK played defense with no one over the guard.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he is done unless he decides football is more important than food. Either way, I hope the best for him. At the end of the day, it is his life and he gets to decide.

Go Jackets!

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone close to the team know if coaches considered moving him to DT? He could eat up a lot of space at 1 or 2i technique and has a good agility for a man his size.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think he is done unless he decides football is more important than food. Either way, I hope the best for him. At the end of the day, it is his life and he gets to decide.
This again? After Shamire brought his body fat down to 28.5% (not bad, btw) and lost almost 50 pounds since his freshman year? I think you must be one of those people who didn't watch the VT game where - several times - he blocked 2 people at once. He was playing well, but the coaches think Will and Parker are playing better. That may stay the same and may change. But what it comes down to is that Shamire has done pretty much what the staff wanted and is still the best drive blocker on the team.

He'll never get down to 340 like some of you want him to; he's simply too big for that. I bet he starts again next year, however; a QB/BB offense suits him.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see him win back the position but i think Will and Parker are both going to be hard to unseat.

Go Jackets!

I think we will play differently next year if Matthew Jordan is QB. And in a way that will maximize Shamire's strengths. If Jordan is in fact QB, I really really hope Shamire is back and is a big part of the team!

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what he's thinking, but I hope he comes back. At fan day this year, he seemed like he was having the most fun of anyone I met, and the other players seemed to enjoy feeding off his energy.