Selective enforcement once again: NCAA strikes again

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
It’s ALL pay to play. No need for bagmen anymore. Amateurism in college football is dead. The rich schools are buying their rosters like the NFL, but with no salary cap.
Yes, that's the problem, the playing field is tilted to those schools with the most money ... as Nick Saban said, if you are going to pay them like the NFL, run it like the NFL.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It’s ALL pay to play. No need for bagmen anymore. Amateurism in college football is dead. The rich schools are buying their rosters like the NFL, but with no salary cap.
Yup. The ability to rationalize about this is pretty epic.

I agree with Saban here. This is the NFL with nothing but one year contracts and no salary cap. The rich get richer.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Right, we all know that, but "officially" it's still not. This kid was let out of his commitment to Florida after signing precisely because a Florida NIL collective didn't come through with the money he was promised. I don't think we've seen that anywhere else really, at least this openly, but I could be wrong.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
Right, we all know that, but "officially" it's still not. This kid was let out of his commitment to Florida after signing precisely because a Florida NIL collective didn't come through with the money he was promised. I don't think we've seen that anywhere else really, at least this openly, but I could be wrong.
Wait...I am confused...they are being charged with bribery because they promised a bribe but never paid a bribe ?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No salary cap, no draft, no multi year contracts, and no tampering rules. In fact, no rules at all.
I will take no rules over selective enforcement of the rules. You notice our 2009 ACC title banner hanging high in Bobby Dodd? Me neither, yet at Auburn you can see the Natty. I want a system where everyone is treated the same. Since, the NCAA never gave us that I’m fine with having no rules.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The rich get richer.
Why do so many continue to regurgitate talking points that are clearly wrong. How did Ohio St get better when Burrows and Ewers transferred out. Or Oklahoma when Williams transferred out. Bama has had multiple studs just transfer out this week. Aren’t they considered rich? UGA has lost all sorts of depth due to the portal. This idea that the rich are getting richer is simply not true. Sure, they get some transfers in (like Gibbs at Bama) just like GT does but to act like every stud is transferring to the same 5 teams isn’t true. Heck, the best portal get in all of college football last year was us getting King. I can‘t think of a more impactful transfer. Are we rich?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why do so many continue to regurgitate talking points that are clearly wrong. How did Ohio St get better when Burrows and Ewers transferred out. Or Oklahoma when Williams transferred out. Bama has had multiple studs just transfer out this week. Aren’t they considered rich? UGA has lost all sorts of depth due to the portal. This idea that the rich are getting richer is simply not true. Sure, they get some transfers in (like Gibbs at Bama) just like GT does but to act like every stud is transferring to the same 5 teams isn’t true. Heck, the best portal get in all of college football last year was us getting King. I can‘t think of a more impactful transfer. Are we rich?
When is the last time we poached a 5-star from another school with NIL money?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I will take no rules over selective enforcement of the rules. You notice our 2009 ACC title banner hanging high in Bobby Dodd? Me neither, yet at Auburn you can see the Natty. I want a system where everyone is treated the same. Since, the NCAA never gave us that I’m fine with having no rules.
Your cynicism is understandable.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
When the list of the top transfer destinations for the top rated portal talent doesn't include the same 5 schools then I will believe the days of the rich getting richer will be over. King turned out to be a great get for us but be honest. None of the football factories were fighting for him because Jimbo had ruined him. And despite all of the transfers out of BAMA and UGA they still have the talent to compete with the best and will both be rated in the top 5 when the polls come out next season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you are going to only look at the portal thru the lens of a handful of 5stars then I get you think the rich are getting richer, especially when ypu don’t look at production on the actual field.. You gotta look at the entire portal. UGA has lost way more depth than 5 stars they‘ve brought in. GT has more 4 stars on our roster than ever due to the portal. King is a 5 star player right now in production and we got him thru the portal. Just because other teams were stupid in not going after him that’s on them. Right now would you rather have Haynes King or Arch Manning? Just because they were given a number while 18 year olds does t mean that’s how they’ll turn out. The portal gives schools like GT a chance to find a Haynes King.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer

So you, if you’re a HC at a big enough program or garner enough media attention, you can more less do as you please and slap yourself on the wrist and thenself report to NCAA and say no worries we’ve already punished ourselves. Nothing to se here. Plus if the NCAA comes down on CU very hard you pull “ace up your sleeve “ of how the deck is stacked against you and you’re a victim of a system that is designed to keep you down. Some of these comments are tongue in cheek. However I am fairly confident that having recruits (perhaps even athletes who aren’t even officially in the portal from other teams) visit your campus is premeditated and the benefit of getting them on campus in the flesh (ASAP) outweighs the consequences that are to be delivered by NCAA especially when the sports and social media world are pumping your name at any given moment. Seems ludicrous that the NCAA wouldn’t come down hard on that alone because of the mess and gray areas of the portal an enticing players to come to your school.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

So you, if you’re a HC at a big enough program or garner enough media attention, you can more less do as you please and slap yourself on the wrist and thenself report to NCAA and say no worries we’ve already punished ourselves. Nothing to se here. Plus if the NCAA comes down on CU very hard you pull “ace up your sleeve “ of how the deck is stacked against you and you’re a victim of a system that is designed to keep you down. Some of these comments are tongue in cheek. However I am fairly confident that having recruits (perhaps even athletes who aren’t even officially in the portal from other teams) visit your campus is premeditated and the benefit of getting them on campus in the flesh (ASAP) outweighs the consequences that are to be delivered by NCAA especially when the sports and social media world are pumping your name at any given moment. Seems ludicrous that the NCAA wouldn’t come down hard on that alone because of the mess and gray areas of the portal an enticing players to come to your school.
We had long suspected it but it is now official - college football has lost its mind.