Roster number brakedown for a CPJ offense in the NFL

Justin missed less time than most NFL QB's the last 3 years (maybe 6 quarters total over 3 years). Same for Josh (maybe 6 quarters over 3 years). In fact if we had run the option INSTEAD of passed Josh would've never gotten the season ending injury and we may be sitting on another 9 win season and win over UGA. Shaw missed 4 quarters in 3 years as a starter at 2 different schools. Tevin Washington NEVER missed a snap.

And, none of them incurred a season-ending injury, or even a concussion due to the option. How is that possible?
In one season Josh broke his arm, so he missed games. Justin missed games. Check the memory card friend.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
In one season Josh broke his arm, so he missed games. Justin missed games. Check the memory card friend.
Not sure if serious??? I'm not sure if you didn't read my post or if you're being sarcastic.

Just in case you didn't read my post, I'll restate it:
Justin missed less time than most NFL QB's: 6 quarters in 3 years (1 full game this year, that CPJ said he could've played in, and 2 quarters against Miami a year or two ago). Josh, likewise missed 1 game against Gardner Webb and 2 quarters against Ugag. The broken arm is an argument against yourself. Do you remember how he broke his arm? It was on a PASS play, threw an interception, and broke his arm trying to make a tackle. Zero to do with the option. In fact, IF we had run the option INSTEAD of pass, he wouldn't have broken his arm and we may be sitting on an extra 9-win season and win over Ugag. So, if you're trying to make the point that we should run the option more instead of pass, I'd have to think about that more. If you're trying to argue that the option is impossible to run in the NFL due to QB injuries, I think you just beat yourself.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Another argument is that, this offense in the NFL would be more wide open. They would throw the ball more IMO.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The question was how many would you need for a roster. At least one would more than likely get knocked out for the season. Either due to concussion protocol or just plain season ending injury. The other two would miss time for the same reasons. Everyone that is arguing for the offense is failing to realize that no QB in the league today gets hit more than 15 times a game. The majority of those hits are not comparable to hits like a RB takes. Which would the kind of hits a QB would take in this offense. Your asking a player to put his body on the line two out of three plays. Meaning the QB would get hit too many times for unnecessary reasons way more than they do in today's game. So saying that QB injury wouldn't be a major concern is foolish. Think about a LB or SS spying the QB every play and hitting him every play he could. Cheap or not a QB would be a sitting duck. That doesn't happen today so how do you compare and contrast something no has compared before because the need wasn't necessary. No GM or Owner would put the franchise in that kind of positon to get injured or having a player he's paying for nothing because he's injured.
Thanks for answering the question. I wasn't saying that it should not be a concern. Do you actually know how many times a qb in our offense get hit? It is far less than 2 out of 3 pays. That is the part that goes to hyperbole. I think you could have on the roster 3 qbs that could fully function in the offense while the traditional NFL offense most teams cannot even find one. Also teams do try to hit the qb every time they get a chance and you know what would happen they would get a 15 yard penalty and an ejection. After the QB pitches the ball under the definition of the NFL rules he would be a helpless player. The final point is the hits the QBs take while trying to pass are far worse than taking a hit while any one is actually running the ball. As for putting their body on the line every other player in the game does that on every single play.

Thanks for answering the question. I wasn't saying that it should not be a concern. Do you actually know how many times a qb in our offense get hit? It is far less than 2 out of 3 pays. That is the part that goes to hyperbole. I think you could have on the roster 3 qbs that could fully function in the offense while the traditional NFL offense most teams cannot even find one. Also teams do try to hit the qb every time they get a chance and you know what would happen they would get a 15 yard penalty and an ejection. After the QB pitches the ball under the definition of the NFL rules he would be a helpless player. The final point is the hits the QBs take while trying to pass are far worse than taking a hit while any one is actually running the ball. As for putting their body on the line every other player in the game does that on every single play.
So the answer is yes he would get more often than a traditional QB. So are the chances not higher that he could sustain an injury that could end the season at worst or a few plays at best. Logic dictates that. How can that be disputed? If you are going to get to hit more often then......he get possible get hits passing, he will get hit running the option. So he more than likely could get hit 2 out of 3 plays. What QB cold take that kind of punishment. NFL man.. they hit to injure.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
So the answer is yes he would get more often than a traditional QB. So are the chances not higher that he could sustain an injury that could end the season at worst or a few plays at best. Logic dictates that. How can that be disputed? If you are going to get to hit more often then......he get possible get hits passing, he will get hit running the option. So he more than likely could get hit 2 out of 3 plays. What QB cold take that kind of punishment. NFL man.. they hit to injure.
I still don't see where you are coming up with the 2/3 of the plays. In a 60 offensive play game in the NFL you really think a QB in this offense would get hit 40 times? I really don't think you have seen much of the offense. A QB who drops back and throws it 40 time could get hit that many times too. I think you have a point but you are really overstating to the point where it's almost nonsensical.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
One thing is certain though. If a NFL team were to do it correctly there would definitely be need of a platoon QB idea.

@GTNavyNuke rejoice.

Negative. You would definitely want a very capable backup but you should still IMO give your #1 QB all the snaps he can handle. Only platoon if there is not a clear #1 until there is a clear #1. (Not counting situational needs)

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Negative. You would definitely want a very capable backup but you should still IMO give your #1 QB all the snaps he can handle. Only platoon if there is not a clear #1 until there is a clear #1. (Not counting situational needs)
I agree with you on the NCAA and normal QB centric offenses in the NFL but we have a clear case study in the NFL of platooning packages working with the wildcat success.

I also mainly mean platoon as in you need to make sure your backup is a 1B option and your 3rd string is really a #2 option. Doesn't mean it's a 50/50 split of snaps between the 1 and 2.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why every team in the NFL thinks they need a star QB to win a super bowl. For instance the Colts giving Andrew Luck all that money and then not having an offensive line. The only reason a team will never run the option in pro ball is because they are so obsessed with having the stud drop back passer because they think that is what sells tickets. It has nothing to do with it not being able to fundamentally work

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand why every team in the NFL thinks they need a star QB to win a super bowl. For instance the Colts giving Andrew Luck all that money and then not having an offensive line. The only reason a team will never run the option in pro ball is because they are so obsessed with having the stud drop back passer because they think that is what sells tickets. It has nothing to do with it not being able to fundamentally work

Yeah, I would add that I suspect that there's a "coolness" factor involved. You can't be too different and get the big names to buy in.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I would add that I suspect that there's a "coolness" factor involved. You can't be too different and get the big names to buy in.

The average person turning on the TV on Sunday doesn't want to see a midline option play 20x a game because they don't understand it. So because they don't understand it the offense is outdated and boring. NFL owners don't want any part of that.