Rate the best GT FB player...

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. Enjoyed watching this. 1967 was a disappointing year. Both Kim King and Lenny Snow were hurt much of the year. I seem to recall that Snow's career ended in the first half against Miami with a broken leg.

1966 was the year I remember as being magical for Snow. It began the previous season when Tech played Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl. It was that game that made me a fan and the following season (1966) was the one that enthralled me so completely that I became a life long fan.
I'm surprised the 1967 highlight film didn't show the Notre Dame and Georgia games.:rolleyes: I think Lenny Snow played against Georgia in 1967 and scored a touchdown.;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised the 1967 highlight film didn't show the Notre Dame and Georgia games.:rolleyes: I think Lenny Snow played against Georgia in 1967 and scored a touchdown.;)
If you are sure then I will take your word for it. But my memory (I was very young) was that he scored a touchdown against Georgia in 1966. That was after a 98 yard drive that was all on the ground with Snow making most of the key runs. Again, my memory is that he went down for good in the first half of Miami in 1967 and we never really saw him again.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On the Georgia game in 1967, Coach Carson clearly instructed Tech to tackle the football every chance they got. Tech "recovered" something like 5 fumbles in that game and a Tech group of largely second and third stringers almost pulled off a major upset.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
If you are sure then I will take your word for it. But my memory (I was very young) was that he scored a touchdown against Georgia in 1966. That was after a 98 yard drive that was all on the ground with Snow making most of the key runs. Again, my memory is that he went down for good in the first half of Miami in 1967 and we never really saw him again.
Here's some more Lenny Snow highlights this time from the 1966 GT-Texas A&M game

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Of course I have to say this... Bill Eastman!
He was a defensive back for Georgia Tech, had 12 interceptions, 99 yard interception return, 86 yard punt return in 65 against Navy (that I witnessed). He even stepped in as QB on offense in 67. Also a two-time Academic All-American making dean's list every semester in biology. (Just like me except for the academics and football part.)

Rick Lantz, right tackle. Watched him at Jenkins High in Savannah and at Tech where he was an All-American.
As a freshman in 65, I was amazed at the talent on the team. Eastman was pure clutch.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Thank you. Enjoyed watching this. 1967 was a disappointing year. Both Kim King and Lenny Snow were hurt much of the year. I seem to recall that Snow's career ended in the first half against Miami with a broken leg.

1966 was the year I remember as being magical for Snow. It began the previous season when Tech played Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl. It was that game that made me a fan and the following season (1966) was the one that enthralled me so completely that I became a life long fan.

Me as well. I was only 10 but the loss to Dooley and then the orange bowl (Spurrier) loss were incredibly hard to swallow.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Robert Lavette has to be in the discussion

I have seen several names thoughout this thread - Lavette, Mays, Brooking,Calvin and Pat Swilling to name just a few that are widely considered to be the best to have ever played their position and are frequently mentioned in discussions of same. Same with some of the really older names - Castelberry (sp?) for instance. He is a GT legend and maybe doesn't get mentioned often because few if any of us ever saw him play. I was looking more for the "tier 2' type players who were very productive and don't hardly get mentioned by us fans. The Russell Freeman, Sammy Lilly, Micheal Cheever, Adam Oliver type of guys.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I have seen several names thoughout this thread - Lavette, Mays, Brooking,Calvin and Pat Swilling to name just a few that are widely considered to be the best to have ever played their position and are frequently mentioned in discussions of same. Same with some of the really older names - Castelberry (sp?) for instance. He is a GT legend and maybe doesn't get mentioned often because few if any of us ever saw him play. I was looking more for the "tier 2' type players who were very productive and don't hardly get mentioned by us fans. The Russell Freeman, Sammy Lilly, Micheal Cheever, Adam Oliver type of guys.
Robert Lavette is a big favorite of mine along with Jerry Mays. Joe Burns was very good also.