Question about Pruitt's defense

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know if Pruitt has any success with defending our style of offense? Would it matter at all or is it more about the players experience with it in the past? I remember Florida St struggled with some option teams last year. Is the scheme going to be any different than it has been in previous years? Also wondering if Richt is going to let Pruitt do what he wants or will he inform him of certain things that worked.

Thoughts?

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I do not expect UGA to be fully prepared to stop our offense. The yards will be there, we have to execute, protect the ball, and trust the teammates to make plays.

I will be very surprised if we don't have a good offensive day due to UGA's defense.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
They little problem with shutting down Auburn pretty good. Last weeks game against Charleston Southern was against a spread option team.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
They've faced similar to us but that haven't faced what we do.

Our site feels we are in for a shootout Saturday.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I'm more worried about Pruitt than their running game or any other aspect of their team. I think he's one of the best defensive coordinators in the country, up there with bud foster and John chavis. He has auburns number, so I'm a little concerned about that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They little problem with shutting down Auburn pretty good. Last weeks game against Charleston Southern was against a spread option team.
We are not Auburn nor are we Char So, the differences are plain and obvious. Even small differences can be huge in how a team performs against somewhat similar opponents. All we need is a defender leaning the wrong way at the snap for us to hit a homerun.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, what makes OUR offense different than every other "spead option" UGA's defense has played is that we run ours from under center and all of the others run theirs' from the shotgun. While, on it's face, this this distinction may seem trivial, I can assure you it's not.

Our ability for the B-Back dive is much more dangerous because it gets on the D-Line so much quicker than the "spread option," meaning there is less time for them to read and react. Forcing the LB's to respect our inside game with draw the corners up to support the edge where our A-Backs and wr's can block, or fake block to go out for the pass.

Also, if the UGA defenders start to crash their de's and corners to try to take away the pitch, this should allow Thomas to keep the ball on TO (think VA Tech or the long run against Clemson).

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I imagine we will see the same defenses we have seen pretty much all season. The 4-3 with the deep middle linebacker and a 5 man front to mix it up on us.

I watched the UGA/Auburn game and Auburn does not run their offense at near the speed we do. There was also very rarely a real option from what I saw. It seemed that most of the plays were called either a give or a keep and it was pretty easy to diagnose which was which because of the nonexistent mesh point on the keeps. If the QB put it any where close to the RB he was going to give it otherwise the QB just stuck the ball out there for a split second and took off. I was not impressed with AU's "Option" offense.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I imagine we will see the same defenses we have seen pretty much all season. The 4-3 with the deep middle linebacker and a 5 man front to mix it up on us.

I watched the UGA/Auburn game and Auburn does not run their offense at near the speed we do. There was also very rarely a real option from what I saw. It seemed that most of the plays were called either a give or a keep and it was pretty easy to diagnose which was which because of the nonexistent mesh point on the keeps. If the QB put it any where close to the RB he was going to give it otherwise the QB just stuck the ball out there for a split second and took off. I was not impressed with AU's "Option" offense.

Ya same here. We fire off the line a lot quicker and I don't see UGAg being too disciplined. I expect explosive plays.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
They've faced similar to us but that haven't faced what we do.

Our site feels we are in for a shootout Saturday.
I hear you Eric.......yeah Georgie has tons of talent but wonder if they have the discipline to play a offense like Techs....They sat in same defense all game vs Gators and they got it stuffed down their throats....I dont see them stopping us outside but do think they have the talent to take away our dive.......I look for a good game vs them and with little defense we can win this thing.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
We need to keep in mind that although (u)GA's DC may not be familiar with an offense like ours, their players' experience against our offense is certainly worth considering. Most of them went up against us last year, so they "know exactly what to expect" (heh).

Except, of course, that they went up against us with Vad as our QB, not JT. No disrespect to Vad—he's a great player and I fully appreciate the effort he gave our team—but it was clear that his skill set was out of synch with our offensive strategy, and I don't think we every really got the O running at full throttle last season. We got up 20 points on the dwags, but they managed to severely curtail our offensive production in the second half, enabling them to pull even in regulation.

If their D comes into this game expecting a repeat of last season, thinking they "have our number", they'll be in for a rude shock in the second half when we continue to extend drives, score points, and eat time off the clock. There's no way they could come back from a 20-point deficit this year, if our offense runs at 100%.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Synjyn Days in his last attempt to get a win against the hated mutts. It's a Cinderella story, that's what it is all right.
they have the meat to stop the dive no doubt and Days will be ready to rumble but the dive just keeps folks honest and the big hurt is on the perimiter and I dont know if they can take kids who have never seen this offense and play position football.....I see lot of breakdowns by the pups........hope so anyway.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My first hope and dream is that we find a way to win this game. But if we don't win because we can't stop them, I won't be devastated. We have known since August that our defense was young and not all that good. We have a lot of reasons to think it will take a big step up next season. If we can move the ball and put up big points, I'll get past it if we lose. The one thing which would bum me out totally would be to see us struggle on offense. But I really don't expect to see that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that worries me is if the mutt D line can stuff our dive all by themselves. If they can do that, ala Clemson, it will allow their LB's to run free to the edge AND it will allow their safeties to stay back and help on the pass routes.

That said, I don't expect the mutt DL, especially the DT's to be as good as Clems' sons'.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I have a good feeling UGA will not be able to stop our dive...for some reason...i see this.

X2, i know it seems boring to other fans but i am actually excited that we will be able to use the dive to 3 yards and a cloud of dust them bastards to death, till they sell out to stop it and we stab a dagger in their balls with a big pass or hit the edge

Mack

Helluva Engineer
My first hope and dream is that we find a way to win this game. But if we don't win because we can't stop them, I won't be devastated. We have known since August that our defense was young and not all that good. We have a lot of reasons to think it will take a big step up next season. If we can move the ball and put up big points, I'll get past it if we lose. The one thing which would bum me out totally would be to see us struggle on offense. But I really don't expect to see that.
I would think our best defense is....our ball control offense..I still think even though some have seen this offense last year many at key postions have not..Ga will be looking at the Hogs and hope they just figure all they need to do is show up.......I think we can do it.