Practice #12 err 13

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I love CPJ to death, but he has a very negative vibe in those post practice pressers and I mean all. the. time. He's short and dismissive with the reporters who are just doing their jobs. A little tact would serve him 5 fold the amount of effort he put in. He's his own worst enemy in the pr department.

Fwiw, he's a completely different personality during the coach's show with Brandon. Why can't that guy be his "press face" too?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ has a hard time turning off his game face. You see it in post game pressers as well. Probably has 100 things on his mind that he needs to do.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I love CPJ to death, but he has a very negative vibe in those post practice pressers and I mean all. the. time. He's short and dismissive with the reporters who are just doing their jobs. A little tact would serve him 5 fold the amount of effort he put in. He's his own worst enemy in the pr department.

Fwiw, he's a completely different personality during the coach's show with Brandon. Why can't that guy be his "press face" too?
Don't worry about his PR. He just won 11 ballgames at GT! He just got a big contract extension and raise. IMO he is one of the best coaches anywhere. He has integrity and treats kids fair. Come on, he doesn't like the put on a happy face deal and neither do I. It's something he tolerates IMO. But really do we not have something else of substance that we can talk about?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
CPJ may not have politician answers but he also is never outright mean about players like other coaches. I honestly have never heard him say anything truly hurtful or mean spirited about one of his players or even other teams for that matter.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

He's also probably getting a lot of the same questions over and over, too. I mean, there's not a whole lot new to ask day in and day out, and they have to ask something, other than when was the last time he played Augusta National.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Again, I think a lot of this is coachspeak. The big diff in the O right now is that Justin isn't playing regularly and neither is Byerly. Result = the O sputters. Well, I'm surprised to death.

My guess = things will be ok in the fall. Not super; we lost too many skill players. But ok. What we have to hope to have a record like last year's is that the D comes around early. I'd love that. As I've said here before, my perfect game is one where we get up a score or two, play good D, and sit on the ball like a slug when we get it back.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
As long as we get most of our offensive linemen back for the fall I won't be worried about the offense, no matter who is at the skill positions, during the last few games synjyn and laskey had huge holes because we were blowing guys off the ball. I think we'll have enough experience at AB to not drop off any and I think someone will step up at receiver. The thing I am most concerned with is player ego. Will they play with passion and with a chip on their shoulder, or do they think they have it wrapped up before the year has even started...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
As long as we get most of our offensive linemen back for the fall I won't be worried about the offense, no matter who is at the skill positions, during the last few games synjyn and laskey had huge holes because we were blowing guys off the ball. I think we'll have enough experience at AB to not drop off any and I think someone will step up at receiver. The thing I am most concerned with is player ego. Will they play with passion and with a chip on their shoulder, or do they think they have it wrapped up before the year has even started...

CPJ actually commented on that bottom part yesterday at the luncheon...said something like they have had some problems with the team feeling entitled this spring and he reminds them this teak hasn't won a game and has to walk the walk before they can talk.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
OL was supposed to be a strength in '13 with 5 returning starters, 3 of them RS sr's. Preseason surgery rehabs and injuries scuttled that outlook and the OL had a bad year. (People blamed the OL for much of Vad's struggles, then last year, the OL received a ton of kudos last for Justin's success, but that's another story.)

We've got guys out right now and we expect them back but nothing is guaranteed. Even if they come back, their performance level is not guaranteed. Then we have the fact that our best OL by far off last year's team is nolonger here - Mason. Add to that the weight issues with Devine and throw in that most of the depth behind our proven starters is awful young and inexperienced. To add fuel to that fire, ALL the Bbacks and MOST of the Abacks running behind this line are all inexperienced and unproven.

Look, I expect a good year for the OL, but nothing is guaranteed and there are some significant question marks at this moment. JT is the saving grace. Without him, I don't even want to think about it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We have a tough schedule, and I doubt anyone overlooks us this year. I think teams will spend more off season time preparing for us this year. It is going to be a tall order to duplicate the success of last years team. I hope we do, but no one should be expecting 11-3 at this point in time.

Guys, that presser is nothing compared with how dissatisfied he is right now. He's turning up the heat on everybody. Every. Body.

He said as much at a luncheon today.

Just a hunch, but here is my take. CPJ is irritated because he realizes we aren't where we need to be right now. He also realizes back-to-back double digit win seasons is a possibility if we can turn
it up a notch. He seems to be a perfectionist by nature, and in the spring, with no game to point to, he is just antsy about getting everything ironed out. I bet come fall he won't be as irascible.

OL was supposed to be a strength in '13 with 5 returning starters, 3 of them RS sr's. Preseason surgery rehabs and injuries scuttled that outlook and the OL had a bad year. (People blamed the OL for much of Vad's struggles, then last year, the OL received a ton of kudos last for Justin's success, but that's another story.)

We've got guys out right now and we expect them back but nothing is guaranteed. Even if they come back, their performance level is not guaranteed. Then we have the fact that our best OL by far off last year's team is nolonger here - Mason. Add to that the weight issues with Devine and throw in that most of the depth behind our proven starters is awful young and inexperienced. To add fuel to that fire, ALL the Bbacks and MOST of the Abacks running behind this line are all inexperienced and unproven.

Look, I expect a good year for the OL, but nothing is guaranteed and there are some significant question marks at this moment. JT is the saving grace. Without him, I don't even want to think about it.
The OL play led to better B-back production. Better B-back production was a big factor in Justin's successful season.