Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Mississippi StateEdit
Collins coached at Mississippi State from 2011 through 2014. During that time, Collins coached All-American Fletcher Cox, who was drafted in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Upon being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2013, Collins helped lead a Bulldogs team that finished in the Top 5 in the SEC in total defense, rushing defense and passing defense. In 2014, Collins' Mississippi State defense led the SEC in sacks and had the conference's No. 1 Red Zone defense en route to a 10-3 record.

FloridaEdit
Collins spent two years as the defensive coordinator at Florida underneath Jim McElwain. While with the Gators, Collins oversaw a defense that ranked No. 6 in scoring defense in 2016 and No. 11 in 2015.[4] During the 2015 season, Collins' defense became just the seventh team in the last 20 years to not allow a touchdown against three FBS Power 5 schools on the road in the same season.[1] During his time at Florida, Collins coached five defensive players that were drafted in the 2016 NFL Draft and produced a consensus All-American in Vernon Hargreaves. Hargreaves and safety Keanu Neal were drafted in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Mark Bradley's column included this nugget: "As Stan Kasten, who has been president of every sports franchise under the sun, once said: “If you're going to make a change, make a change."

That pretty much rules out the TO. I am inclined to support someone who knows how to run a modern football operation, not just X's and O's.

That's applicable if you're going to make a change. This wasn't GT making a change. I believe TStan supported CPJ staying.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
In reading the threads with all the names, the one that is confusing to me is that nobody seems to like Chad Lunsford from Georgia Southern.

• He's 41, so he is a young up-and-comer...
  • He is from Georgia...
  • He has recruited the SE his entire career (for Auburn and Georgia Southern)
  • His primary skill is recruiting..
  • He went 9-3 in his first season, and has a 10 win season on the table if they win their bowl game
  • They had 12 players make All Sun Belt this year
  • His offense directly translates to Georgia Tech talent, but with all the modern touches the fans want (runs out of shotgun, multiple sets, more QB friendly, feature running back, run the QB about half as much)...

As the HC in his first season, he brought in well respected offensive and defensive coordinators and restored the option (albeit the shotgun version) at Georgia Southern... He hired Scot Sloan, who was the co-defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator for App State to coach the defense. This year, in year one, they gave up 21 ppg and led the nation in turnover margin. He hired Bob DeBesse as OC, who was the offensive coordinator at New Mexico that broke all the school records for rushing offense and yardage.

They were able to take a new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes, and immediately translate it to success. They beat up on App State in a blowout this year, and return 8 or 9 of those 12 All Sun Belt players for next season. They return most of the two deep, so they are primed for another 10 win season next year.

This seems to fit hand-in-glove...

Why would you rather see a pro guy or a coordinator from a football factory?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Mississippi StateEdit
Collins coached at Mississippi State from 2011 through 2014. During that time, Collins coached All-American Fletcher Cox, who was drafted in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Upon being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2013, Collins helped lead a Bulldogs team that finished in the Top 5 in the SEC in total defense, rushing defense and passing defense. In 2014, Collins' Mississippi State defense led the SEC in sacks and had the conference's No. 1 Red Zone defense en route to a 10-3 record.

FloridaEdit
Collins spent two years as the defensive coordinator at Florida underneath Jim McElwain. While with the Gators, Collins oversaw a defense that ranked No. 6 in scoring defense in 2016 and No. 11 in 2015.[4] During the 2015 season, Collins' defense became just the seventh team in the last 20 years to not allow a touchdown against three FBS Power 5 schools on the road in the same season.[1] During his time at Florida, Collins coached five defensive players that were drafted in the 2016 NFL Draft and produced a consensus All-American in Vernon Hargreaves. Hargreaves and safety Keanu Neal were drafted in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft.
Texas A&M offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey would be another coach worth an interview from TStan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Dickey

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
My current state of mind:

Choice 1A: Jeff Monken
I've already stated this case earlier in the thread as the best case scenario if we stay with the current model. It won't excite some, and it may end up with similar results to the CPJ tenure (which I am personally more ok with than some, here, and I understand that), but I believe it would sustain and build on that fairly successful model.

Choice 1B: Tony Elliot
I know I am seen as a pro-option CPJ lover (and I am), but even though I get exhausted by the constant option bashing of @MikeJackets1967 and @Gold1 , I am 100% with them on hoping for a candidate like this (both offensive style and youth/energy/recruiting) if we move away from the current model. I'm also in agreement that GT does not need a NFL guy.

Choice 2: Andy McCollum
This choice comes with a big caveat. CAM would have to probably take a pay cut from CPJ level to hire a top-notch OC. Now, maybe Cook would do it, but it would be a big gamble. This is probably our chance to keep CNW (which I want), most of our current recruits, and provide the most immediate program stability.

Once again, even though I loved CPJ's time here and remained a staunch supporter throughout, IF we move away from the current model I sincerely hope it's someone in the mold of Elliot/Satterfield, etc. If Willie Fritz was 15 years younger, he'd be my #1.
Why are people so excited with McCollum? He was not successful at all in his lone stint as a head coach

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
In reading the threads with all the names, the one that is confusing to me is that nobody seems to like Chad Lunsford from Georgia Southern.

• He's 41, so he is a young up-and-comer...
  • He is from Georgia...
  • He has recruited the SE his entire career (for Auburn and Georgia Southern)
  • His primary skill is recruiting..
  • He went 9-3 in his first season, and has a 10 win season on the table if they win their bowl game
  • They had 12 players make All Sun Belt this year
  • His offense directly translates to Georgia Tech talent, but with all the modern touches the fans want (runs out of shotgun, multiple sets, more QB friendly, feature running back, run the QB about half as much)...

As the HC in his first season, he brought in well respected offensive and defensive coordinators and restored the option (albeit the shotgun version) at Georgia Southern... He hired Scot Sloan, who was the co-defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator for App State to coach the defense. This year, in year one, they gave up 21 ppg and led the nation in turnover margin. He hired Bob DeBesse as OC, who was the offensive coordinator at New Mexico that broke all the school records for rushing offense and yardage.

They were able to take a new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes, and immediately translate it to success. They beat up on App State in a blowout this year, and return 8 or 9 of those 12 All Sun Belt players for next season. They return most of the two deep, so they are primed for another 10 win season next year.

This seems to fit hand-in-glove...

Why would you rather see a pro guy or a coordinator from a football factory?
I wouldn't be disappointed with this hire, only if he brings DeBesse

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
If Brent Key had not gone to Tech every one on this board would be at the Edge Center with pitchforks if he was to be the hire. One year as a coordinator which was a disaster. He needs to work his way up the ladder a bit more and create a track record of success as a coordinator or head coach maybe at a smaller school before he should EVER be considered for the Tech job. All this Brent Key talk is crazy!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Let’s be honest recruiting at Tech is entirely different than recruiting at Alabama and Clemson.
I don’t like Elliot because he has only been at Clemson. Satterfield has only been at App St.

These guys are not going to light the world on fire recruiting for Tech immediately.

The one guy who probably could make a difference right now is Key. There is some value into understanding the Tech culture and issues that makes this job unique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just because Key played at tech doesn't mean he truly understands the difficulty of recruiting. He did play pre Johnson. Things have gotten tougher since even Gailey.... just saying. You want to hire a coach that gets the south florida kids excited. You want a guy with swagger. We need a guy who can steal 4 stars from Clemson and uga by saying at least you be a superstar here and not a back up to 5 stars there. Elliot could easily sell out his old team and lie to recruits about how Clemson does things and say how much better tech is on things.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was skeptical of Tony Elliott, but I’m starting to come around to him. The biggest thing that worries me about him is that his list of QBs is Sophomore Deshaun Watson, Junior Deshaun Watson, Kelly Bryant last year, and Trevor Lawrence this year (who already looks like he’s going to be a 1st overall pick in a couple years). I don’t think every Tech QB will be Reggie Ball or Taylor Bennett, but we’re likely not going to be able to get anyone close to the guys on that list.

Geoff Collins looks like he’d be a great choice. Excellent track record.

If we like the CPJ model, I don’t think we could find a better successor than Monken. He really is like a younger CPJ.

Overall, I’m glad to hear that we’re a sought-after job. Just please don’t hire an NFL coach with no college experience. For the record, I think Whisenhunt would be better off sticking with the good thing he has going with the Chargers. I think the Tech job would be a bad fit. I think it would be better for both parties if he stayed in LA.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The more I've had to digest this, just give me a winner. Whether that's someone like Elliot or Satterfield I want someone that breathes winning.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Is there any chance we bring in a guy like Monken or Bohannon and say something along the lines of "I don't want to tell you how to coach, but we need to open things up more to appeal to the younger crowd and improve recruiting"? Doubt it, but if Monken would run some shotgun like he did at GSU would more of you be on board with him?

crut

Helluva Engineer
I was skeptical of Tony Elliott, but I’m starting to come around to him. The biggest thing that worries me about him is that his list of QBs is Sophomore Deshaun Watson, Junior Deshaun Watson, Kelly Bryant last year, and Trevor Lawrence this year (who already looks like he’s going to be a 1st overall pick in a couple years). I don’t think every Tech QB will be Reggie Ball or Taylor Bennett, but we’re likely not going to be able to get anyone close to the guys on that list.

This is a valid point, but we probably have the best QB talent we've had in a LONG time as of today (assuming Yates signs). Lucas, Graham, and Yates is a lot of work with and you have some versatility for 3+ year before you'd have to have a successful recruit replace those guys.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
You can't compare anything Elliott as done to what he can achieve at Georgia Tech. He works at the #2 football powerhouse in the country since 2012 or so. I am not saying he isn't a talented coach, but to think he isn't working almost exclusively with the nations best talent you are fooling yourselves.

Give CPJ, Monken, etc the best talent in the country and they'd win 12 games a year too, and look good doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.