Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Same story.
Different Day

Are you a fan of coach or a fan of tech baseball...

Mike is now 2 for 32 in acc play...I mean we do have Kerce, Nico, or Denby right....Move Kerce over from 3b to 2b and slide Jaros into 3b. At least the lineup is stronger offensively....

runner on 2nd and 3rd and no outs.....we get nothing...The ab's were very ineffective trying to swing for the fences vs contact. Shine is definitely off of CJR in my opinion.

Pitt is not a very good team. I think we win the series tomorrow but if we don't, it is very likely we could miss the acc tournament...Has that EVER happened??

I see Damon Stoudamire has a top 15 recruiting class coming in. Tech's baseball recruiting class is currently ranked #4. Which are you more excited about.....For me, it's definitely basketball as tech baseball has done less with more and better talent than any coach at tech imo

Talent galore since 11' with absolutely no regional wins

At what point does the AD realize that there is no good ending here but the longer it continues, the more daunting and challenging it becomes. Coach should have the option to choose when to retire but it seems he's more interested in the all time active winning record than what's best for tech...

I'll tune in again tomorrow cause i love tech baseball but the apathy is becoming as real as it was watching g. collins coached teams

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
“Shine is definitely off of CJR” We have supposedly the best hitting coach in the country who has had multiple top recruiting classes. Development is an issue at GT. The portal should be used to plug holes, not replace a roster. My guess is we are forced to the portal again next year as I speculate a large portion of our team will be in it…including some studs.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sad loss today. Men on second and third on the 8th with no out,, and we can’t plate a run. Incredible!!

As bad as we were, Pitt was worse. The Baseball Gods determined the winner of two teams who both should have scored a lot more.

Our D was great. 3 DPs and some really nice plays by Yunger (OG wall catch and throw out at the plate). Definitely improved from last year.

Pitt hit .333 but only .154 RISP leaving 11 on! We hit .182 and overperformed RISP @.222 leaving 9 on. Our problem was hitting overall.

Go for the series win today; it probably will only matter to keep us from being eliminated from the ACCT.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pitt is not a very good team. I think we win the series tomorrow but if we don't, it is very likely we could miss the acc tournament...Has that EVER happened??
Nope. Ga Tech has played in every ACC Baseball Tournament since joining in 1980 per the 2024 info guide.

They will make it this year too.

Pitt & ND have to go .500 ish (or better) in their final 15 ACC games to get to 10 conference wins. They are currently .200 & .133, respectively.

Tech has to go 5-13 to get to 10 wins. ...& GT owns tiebreaker over Pitt.

Break Break
‐--------------
The home sweep v BC is simply crushing. Will loom rest of year as a WTF series. Just CANNOT let that happen.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope. Ga Tech has played in every ACC Baseball Tournament since joining in 1980 per the 2024 info guide.

They will make it this year too.

Pitt & ND have to go .500 ish (or better) in their final 15 ACC games to get to 10 conference wins. They are currently .200 & .133, respectively.

Tech has to go 5-13 to get to 10 wins. ...& GT owns tiebreaker over Pitt.

Break Break
‐--------------
The home sweep v BC is simply crushing. Will loom rest of year as a WTF series. Just CANNOT let that happen.
Agreed that today should help them make the acc tourney.

Hopefully they can relax and win some series where they are the underdogs starting with Va Tech next weekend.

I've been waiting to see Tate in the weekend rotation so today was a very good day watching Tate out there. As I've said, talent over experience. Tate will have some good and bad outings but I love that he's getting weekend rotation experience.

I was a little puzzled to see Cam over Logan on Saturday. If you were to look at the stats, most would assume Cam pitched well and kept us in the game. I think it was more about great defense and Pitt not taking advantage of their risp opportunities.

One thing that has puzzled me all year is our lack of development of our few left-handed hitters (Lovett & Neises). During the 8th inning on Saturday when we had 2nd and 3rd with no one out, they brought in their right-handed closer (Cox) and we struck out twice and a weak pop up with Giesler to end the inning and effectively the game. I just wonder right there if a lefty could've seen the closer's breaking stuff better simply to make contact and put the ball in play. I believe if we bring those runs in, we would've likely won. Just my thoughts...

I still think that Logan or even Cam Hill gives us the best chance to win on Saturday's but that is just my .02

B. King & D. Brown are looking good. I know hasn't been against Clemson or Uva however I like what they are doing right now.

Lefty Brett Barfield is becoming our lefty bull pen guy against teams with left-handed batters. That was supposed to be Cam Hill though but great to see Brett really shining.

We really needed the sweep and should've gotten it but any time you can take a road acc series, that's a good thing. Winning the series just makes the va tech series that much more meaningful.
I'm not sure what to make of Va Tech. They are 21-8 overall and 10-5 in the acc. Their strong acc record is built off of teams that are under .500 in conference with two sweeps. Only issue is they swept BC on the road. We got swept at home by Bc. I would also point out that Va Tech took 2 of 3 from Pitt but I watched that series and we played them better on the road than Va Tech played them at home so to say we have no chance isn't a fair assessment. I think the REAL Tech takes 2 of 3 from the Hokies this weekend. I would also point out that Wake Forest completed the sweep over Va Tech this weekend as it appears that Wake finally woke up and realized they are a very talented team.

In the end, Ga Southern is up next at home with Auburn the following week. I think if tech somehow finds its way into a bubble position, winning these midweek games are going to be very important as I think Auburn and Ga Southern could be bubble teams we may have to go up against and winning these games would be important.

i stated this preseason but I truly think the talent is there; however, we just haven't put it together but if we do...i think we are capable. I'm not interested in the coaching situation. Most know where I stand so no reason to keep that topic up.

Great job boys. We'll see ya Tuesday night against Southern!

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Don’t think we get to 10 wins. I see 4 possible wins in conference.
The reality in me thinks you may be right but i truly think this team can win the series' at home against Va Tech and Miami.

I fear it could get really ugly against UVA. Clemson should sweep us but lets be honest, they have always played up or down to the competition.

FSU took the series against BC but looked average. Could've easily lost that series. Their best wins are non conference victories over UF and I'm just not impressed with UF. They lost a series against Missou this weekend. Missouri is not a good team.

That leaves Duke.
I could see 6 - 8 wins there

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Referencing UF above, this is another issue I have with the rankings system....

UF has been top 10 all year mainly based on their preseason ranking and the clout of sec wins...they are currently ranked #6.

They got swept by Missouri who was 1-8 in sec play prior to sweeping the Gates.

NC State gets swept by Louisville and guarantee you they are out of the rankings this week (As they should be btw).

UF is 17-14 and 6-6 in the secheat.
Guarantee you the pollsters don't drop uF out of the top 15....This sweep should take them out of the top 20 imo but it won't happen.

How does and has this affected Tech. Simple....It's the perception of the conference and competition.

That bias has hindered Tech big time...
When we go tourney bids in 2021 & 2022, we got placed in the Vandy and Tennessee regional as a 2 seed (Vandy) and a 3 seed (Tn). Tn was the top team in the country. Vandy was the national overall #3 seed.

Tech in no way was the worst 3 seed in the tournament that year against Tn.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I not sure how anyone would predict what this team might do.
Agreed Gt33 but I will say i really like where the bullpen is at currently and the defense is much improved. Two keys to winning baseball in my opinion.
I like the move to start Tate in the Sunday slot and to sit Mike at 2b in favor of more powerful bats with Carson moving over to 2b and Jaros taking the 3b slot.

If Busse and Hill can perform up to their abilities, we have a really good pen.

I was hoping for a weekend rotation of Aedan (Fri), Logan (Sat) and Tate (Sunday) with Carson midweek.

Not sure why they went with Cam Jones on Saturday against Pitt.

Giesler got a solo shot today and if he can perform to expectations, I really like the lineup. Ellis had an OUTSTANDING weekend against Pitt, I listened to his post game interview on Friday and how they worked with him on his swing and he's been putting in a lot of work. He looked good against lefties as well which shows he's being patient and going to the opposite field. His hr today went 480 feet.....That's impressive. That's they guy I think everyone felt we were getting from Indiana.

You are right though that this team has had wild swings...

Last edited:

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed that today should help them make the acc tourney.

Hopefully they can relax and win some series where they are the underdogs starting with Va Tech next weekend.

I've been waiting to see Tate in the weekend rotation so today was a very good day watching Tate out there. As I've said, talent over experience. Tate will have some good and bad outings but I love that he's getting weekend rotation experience.

I was a little puzzled to see Cam over Logan on Saturday. If you were to look at the stats, most would assume Cam pitched well and kept us in the game. I think it was more about great defense and Pitt not taking advantage of their risp opportunities.

One thing that has puzzled me all year is our lack of development of our few left-handed hitters (Lovett & Neises). During the 8th inning on Saturday when we had 2nd and 3rd with no one out, they brought in their right-handed closer (Cox) and we struck out twice and a weak pop up with Giesler to end the inning and effectively the game. I just wonder right there if a lefty could've seen the closer's breaking stuff better simply to make contact and put the ball in play. I believe if we bring those runs in, we would've likely won. Just my thoughts...

I still think that Logan or even Cam Hill gives us the best chance to win on Saturday's but that is just my .02

B. King & D. Brown are looking good. I know hasn't been against Clemson or Uva however I like what they are doing right now.

Lefty Brett Barfield is becoming our lefty bull pen guy against teams with left-handed batters. That was supposed to be Cam Hill though but great to see Brett really shining.

We really needed the sweep and should've gotten it but any time you can take a road acc series, that's a good thing. Winning the series just makes the va tech series that much more meaningful.
I'm not sure what to make of Va Tech. They are 21-8 overall and 10-5 in the acc. Their strong acc record is built off of teams that are under .500 in conference with two sweeps. Only issue is they swept BC on the road. We got swept at home by Bc. I would also point out that Va Tech took 2 of 3 from Pitt but I watched that series and we played them better on the road than Va Tech played them at home so to say we have no chance isn't a fair assessment. I think the REAL Tech takes 2 of 3 from the Hokies this weekend. I would also point out that Wake Forest completed the sweep over Va Tech this weekend as it appears that Wake finally woke up and realized they are a very talented team.

In the end, Ga Southern is up next at home with Auburn the following week. I think if tech somehow finds its way into a bubble position, winning these midweek games are going to be very important as I think Auburn and Ga Southern could be bubble teams we may have to go up against and winning these games would be important.

i stated this preseason but I truly think the talent is there; however, we just haven't put it together but if we do...i think we are capable. I'm not interested in the coaching situation. Most know where I stand so no reason to keep that topic up.

Great job boys. We'll see ya Tuesday night against Southern!
I'm wondering if McGuire is healthy. He went from looking strong to looking totally lost in the span of two weekends. And then, after getting bumped from the rotation, he wasn't even considered for usage this weekend and instead we went with Ben King on a back-to-back after he threw 35-40 pitches in the first game. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it is suspicious to me. My guess with Hill is that he will need to show something in a mid-week game or two before he is considered for weekend action.

Agree that Tate McKee's performance today was quite impressive. Would be awesome to see him build on that and put 2 or 3 of those together.

Agree that Virginia Tech is a paper tiger. As GT33 wrote, predicting what the Jackets will do from week-to-week is nigh unto impossible, but taking 2 out of 3 is very possible for us.

Regarding the ACC tourney, it would take some really bad play for us to miss it at this point in time. We have a 4 game lead over Pitt (considering the tie breaker) and a 4.5 game lead over Notre Dame. Us and Pitt have almost exactly the same teams remaining, the only difference being that they still get Notre Dame and they have already played 5 series. Even if we stumble to a 9-21 record (I think 10 is the minimum and 11 or 12 the most likely for us) Pitt would have to go 7-8 against equally tough competition. Don't see both of those happening. For Notre Dame to reach 9-21 they also would have to go 7-8. They do have a little bit easier schedule remaining than us or Pitt, but 7-8 seems to not be likely. And I agree with Fred that it is disappointing that I can see where FittedJacket is coming from, and that he has a legit argument that we only get to 9 conference wins.

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm wondering if McGuire is healthy. He went from looking strong to looking totally lost in the span of two weekends. And then, after getting bumped from the rotation, he wasn't even considered for usage this weekend and instead we went with Ben King on a back-to-back after he threw 35-40 pitches in the first game. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it is suspicious to me. My guess with Hill is that he will need to show something in a mid-week game or two before he is considered for weekend action.

Agree that Tate McKee's performance today was quite impressive. Would be awesome to see him build on that and put 2 or 3 of those together.

Agree that Virginia Tech is a paper tiger. As GT33 wrote, predicting what the Jackets will do from week-to-week is nigh unto impossible, but taking 2 out of 3 is very possible for us.

Regarding the ACC tourney, it would take some really bad play for us to miss it at this point in time. We have a 4 game lead over Pitt (considering the tie breaker) and a 4.5 game lead over Notre Dame. Us and Pitt have almost exactly the same teams remaining, the only difference being that they still get Notre Dame and they have already played 5 series. Even if we stumble to a 9-21 record (I think 10 is the minimum and 11 or 12 the most likely for us) Pitt would have to go 7-8 against equally tough competition. Don't see both of those happening. For Notre Dame to reach 9-21 they also would have to go 7-8. They do have a little bit easier schedule remaining than us or Pitt, but 7-8 seems to not be likely.
I had wondered this as well about Logan.
With his injury last year, that was going to be a concern going into this year. Arm injuries for pitchers are difficult. See previous history of Spencer Strider and now out for 15 days with a ucl sprain (Very lucky he's not done for 2024 but this might linger all year).

I know the staff was coy about Giesler but they did say day to day for nearly 5 weeks; however, not a peep yet about Logan.

I guess we shall see if Cam starts against Va Tech on Saturday.

Agreed completely on Va Tech.

Last edited:

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Looking ahead to the rest of the season, I see two bats who I am pretty confident will be better than they have been so far (Giesler and Green), and I truly believe that Matt Ellis will build on this weekend and be a strong bat the rest of the season. If we can keep Burress from hitting the freshman wall while also keeping Kerce performing well, that is 5 above average bats. I don't expect improvement from Jones or Yunger, but both have been acceptable so far. So, I have reason to be optimistic that the offensive output will improve. I'm not as confident that the pitching will improve, but if we can keep Finateri performing respectably and somehow get Tate McKee to show he belongs, that would keep us competitive in 2 of 3 games. Then need to find that 3rd starter. In the pen, I like where Ben King is at, and obviously Dawson Brown had a great week, but I'm not confident it was anything more than just a good week. Kovala, Barfield, and Thomas seem to be decent 6th - 7th inning guys. Bottomline, I still see this team as a 12 +/- 1 win team in conference play, which really is not acceptable but is better than a team not good enough to make the ACC tourney.

ETA: LOL, I had Jaros and Kerce confused. When typing this post I was thinking that Kerce had a couple hits today, but that was actually Jaros. So, there is the concern that teams have found the hole in Kerce's swing, as he is down to only a .260 or so average in conference play. I still think that we will have better and more consistent performance from the lineup going forward than we have so far, but not as confident after realizing my mistake here.

Last edited: