Pastner v bell

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Does Ron Bell have $719K? If not can we take possession of the infamous pool that started the NCAA mess?
The judge would not expect Ron to have $719K sitting around unencumbered by debt, so there will be a payment plan based somewhat on his current income. The court said he would get 180 days in jail for every payment he missed, so, while Pastner wanted jail time in the initial sentence, Ron is likely to spend a lot of days on the state's dime for the rest of his life.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

And this is a Federal conspiracy charge by the US District Attorney's office. I wonder what the eventual plea deal will be (hopefully it includes some jail time) as there is no way those 2 are going to go to court against the US Government and win.

“The defendants are alleged to have falsely accused Georgia Tech’s coach of sexual assault,” U.S. Attorney Ryan K. Buchanan said in a statement. “They then demanded a large payment in exchange for a retraction of the claim. The Federal Bureau of Investigation and our other federal law enforcement partners are especially proficient in exposing false allegations designed to extort money. Individuals who attempt to perpetrate such criminal schemes at the expense of law-abiding citizens will be caught and prosecuted.”

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

And this is a Federal conspiracy charge by the US District Attorney's office. I wonder what the eventual plea deal will be (hopefully it includes some jail time) as there is no way those 2 are going to go to court against the US Government and win.

“The defendants are alleged to have falsely accused Georgia Tech’s coach of sexual assault,” U.S. Attorney Ryan K. Buchanan said in a statement. “They then demanded a large payment in exchange for a retraction of the claim. The Federal Bureau of Investigation and our other federal law enforcement partners are especially proficient in exposing false allegations designed to extort money. Individuals who attempt to perpetrate such criminal schemes at the expense of law-abiding citizens will be caught and prosecuted.”
I thought they were tried and convicted under the AZ code and found guilty. Is this a different charge or the Federal version of the same offense. Doesn't double jeopardy limit this considerable?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I thought they were tried and convicted under the AZ code and found guilty. Is this a different charge or the Federal version of the same offense. Doesn't double jeopardy limit this considerable?

Dual sovereignty doctrine allows for both the state and the federal governments to prosecute the same action separately if it violated both a state and federal law without violating double jeopardy.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Bell needs to be rung up on the charges and left to clang like an idiot behind bars for whatever the maximum sentence is.