Pass more?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I am for Oliver to start. That doesn't mean I don't want to see what Graham can do as soon as he can help.

FWIW. All of TO's 12 TDs and 92% of his yards came against these Ds:

FEI Ranking:
BGSU: 125th
Louisville: 124th
VT: 103rd
UNC: 99th
USF: 91st

I like TO, and I don't know who may win next year's battle, but JG “might be as good an athlete as we’ve ever had at that position.” - CPJ in AJC article in August. I want to see that on the field at some point, and frankly I think this lineup will have to play nearly perfect against UGA to beat them.
I'd love to see this offense with a real passing threat...one that doesn't make you want to cover your eyes when you see the QB take steps to set up in a pocket.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to see this offense with a real passing threat...one that doesn't make you want to cover your eyes when you see the QB take steps to set up in a pocket.

Why are people so fascinated with this?

Our offense is best when we throw no more than about 6-8 times. We’ve won several games with less than that.

Just need someone that can hit the occasional wide open A back and throw a nice comeback to a one-on-one WR on 3rd down.

Our O-Line isn’t very effective pass blocking. Why do you want to force them into something they aren’t particularly good at?

we have one in Graham. It remains to be seen whether or not CPJ alters the offense to fit the talent or, most likely, tries to alter the talent to fit the offense.

Our offense is best when we throw no more than about 6-8 times. We’ve won several games with less than that.

Just need someone that can hit the occasional wide open A back and throw a nice comeback to a one-on-one WR on 3rd down.

Our O-Line isn’t very effective pass blocking. Why do you want to force them into something they aren’t particularly good at?

This only works against teams ranked 54th or worse though. If we hope to compete with the PITTs and Dukes in the conference, we need to be a bit more balanced. 45 QB Keepers only beats the crappy teams.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
This only works against teams ranked 54th or worse though. If we hope to compete with the PITTs and Dukes in the conference, we need to be a bit more balanced. 45 QB Keepers only beats the crappy teams.

No, we don’t. I seem to remember us beating a very good Uga team when we threw 2 passes. Believe it was 2008.

Yes, the QB needs to be able to execute on the few pass opportunities that are there, but us slinging it more is not some magic elixir.

Even if LJ or JG are better passers, it won’t matter much if we can’t pass protect, which is just not what our O-Line is set up to do very well.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan

Miami was the #2 defense in the country. We passed the ball 4 times, completed 3 and won the game we converted over 56% of our 3rd down chances (including 3 in a row at the end of the game when they had to get a stop to have a chance to win) on a team that had been allowing an NCAA best 22%.

Why do we have to pass more? We have to be able to pass effectively. We can and do.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Why? Because it's part of the game. And can be an exciting part.

I'm with you in that we're bad at it but that doesn't mean we can't be good at it. All it takes is desire.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
we have one in Graham. It remains to be seen whether or not CPJ alters the offense to fit the talent or, most likely, tries to alter the talent to fit the offense.
So I'm reading. Perhaps like one we've never had. If he's that good, I hope we can take advantage of it and not have to cover our eyes when he drops back to unload.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
NC State threw 53 times, rushed 27 and still only scored 23 points against Wake. Maybe if they'd thrown it a little more they'd have scored more :rolleyes:
Iowa passed 41, rushed 22 and scored 10 against Northwestern :rolleyes:
Kentucky passed 38, rushed 35 (there is the balance you want) and scored 7 against Tennessee :rolleyes:
Miss St passes 20, rushed 30 and scored 0. :rolleyes:

Keep saying things that have no basis on reality though. It is obviously only our offense that can be shut down.

Are there offenses that utilize high volume of passes efficiently? Yes of course! Is being efficient per pass important for us? Of course! Do we need to throw more to win? No, and it's a dumb argument to suggest "more passes = better performing offense" unconditionally. As displayed above, balanced offenses have bad days too, so why is this a problem with our scheme specifically?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
NC State threw 53 times, rushed 27 and still only scored 23 points against Wake. Maybe if they'd thrown it a little more they'd have scored more :rolleyes:
Kentucky passed 38, rushed 35 (there is the balance you want) and scored 7 against Tennessee :rolleyes:

Keep saying things that have no basis on reality though. It is obviously only our offense that can be shut down.

Are there offenses that utilize high volume of passes efficiently? Yes of course! Is being efficient per pass important for us? Of course! Do we need to throw more to win? No, and it's a dumb argument to suggest "more passes = better performing offense" unconditionally. As displayed above, balanced offenses have bad days too, so why is this a problem with our scheme specifically?

Because despite a ton of data to the contrary....the false narratives about our scheme continue. I’m fairly certain if it is said the sky is not blue on a clear day often enough...many would believe it eventually; despite actually seeing blue skies with their own eyes.

Meanwhile, UVA is far-and-away the best team we beat this year and anyone who watched this game will admit we were VERY fortunate to get out of there with a victory and that it had nothing to do with our offense. Instead, our ST absolutely gets the game ball today. Time and again, that QB Keeper got stuffed. We completed one single pass and it led to a FG that practically won the game for us. Time and again, there were 8-9 guys in the box, daring us to pass. Time and again, predictable QB Keeper stuffed or pitched to a guy who ran into a wall outside.

Say what you want but this predictable QB Keeper offense cannot and will not allow us to beat the Dukes, PITTs, and UVAs. The only teams we beat this year were the crappy ones. Thinking that this type of QB Keeper offense can beat Duke, PITT, Clemson or the mutts is what has No Basis In Reality.

No one ever said 'high volume' of passing so you're making **** up there. But a high volume of QB Keepers is a recipe for a 6-7 win season and watching the ACCCG from home...at best.

Hopefully Graham gets a shotgun package to work with next year. If TO is the starter, it's another 2018: We'll beat every team we're better than (except a USF-type game) and lose to every team that's as-good or better than us. YAWN.

PS: Heck, one thing a few more passes might do would be to bring meat to the seats. Today's crowd was embarrassing - barely 30,000 people.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Meanwhile, UVA is far-and-away the best team we beat this year and anyone who watched this game will admit we were VERY fortunate to get out of there with a victory and that it had nothing to do with our offense. Instead, our ST absolutely gets the game ball today. Time and again, that QB Keeper got stuffed. We completed one single pass and it led to a FG that practically won the game for us.

Say what you want but this predictable QB Keeper offense cannot and will not allow us to beat the Dukes, PITTs, and UVAs. The only teams we beat this year were the crappy ones.

No one ever said 'high volume' of passing so you're making **** up there. But a high volume of QB Keepers is a recipe for a 6-7 win season and watching the ACCCG from home...at best.

Hopefully Graham gets a shotgun package to work with next year. If TO is the starter, it's another 2018: We'll beat every team we're better than (except a USF-type game) and lose to every team that's as-good or better than us. YAWN. TO is a good kid and good representative of GT sports but he's not a QB who's gonna beat any decent team on our schedule.

PS: Heck, one thing a few more passes might do would be to bring meat to the seats. Today's crowd was embarrassing - barely 30,000 people.
Can you not just enjoy a win once ?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Can you not just enjoy a win once ?
No, I doubt it. After a lose it gives him the opportunity to really go nuts. He is one that in general can be ignored due to his incessant blah blah blah.

I do agree that we need a better passing attack. But I dont see the need for a balanced one. But we have to use the talents we have. This year passing is not much of one.

No, I doubt it. After a lose it gives him the opportunity to really go nuts. He is one that in general can be ignored due to his incessant blah blah blah.

I do agree that we need a better passing attack. But I dont see the need for a balanced one. But we have to use the talents we have. This year passing is not much of one.

Who's not enjoying the win? I'm responding to the topic and the fans whose opinion that our QB Keeper Offense can Win Bigtime, which has no basis in reality. Today's win was a great win for the seniors and it was nice to see our ST make more strides. But our offense looked mostly terrible and that opinion has plenty of basis in reality because I watched every play.

Miami was the #2 defense in the country. We passed the ball 4 times, completed 3 and won the game we converted over 56% of our 3rd down chances (including 3 in a row at the end of the game when they had to get a stop to have a chance to win) on a team that had been allowing an NCAA best 22%.

Why do we have to pass more? We have to be able to pass effectively. We can and do.

Miami also fumbled 3X and handed us that game. Check the stats - the QB Keeper got stuffed by da U.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Meanwhile, UVA is far-and-away the best team we beat this year and anyone who watched this game will admit we were VERY fortunate to get out of there with a victory and that it had nothing to do with our offense. Instead, our ST absolutely gets the game ball today. Time and again, that QB Keeper got stuffed. We completed one single pass and it led to a FG that practically won the game for us. Time and again, there were 8-9 guys in the box, daring us to pass. Time and again, predictable QB Keeper stuffed or pitched to a guy who ran into a wall outside.

Say what you want but this predictable QB Keeper offense cannot and will not allow us to beat the Dukes, PITTs, and UVAs. The only teams we beat this year were the crappy ones. Thinking that this type of QB Keeper offense can beat Duke, PITT, Clemson or the mutts is what has No Basis In Reality.

Hopefully Graham gets a shotgun package to work with next year. If TO is the starter, it's another 2018: We'll beat every team we're better than (except a USF-type game) and lose to every team that's as-good or better than us. YAWN.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...