Nil-NCAA.com link

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. Which side will we be on? Doesn't look good right now.
That depends on one's perspective. Over the years there have been a number of schools that have decided to go in a different direction than their peers....Chicago, Suwanee, the Ivies to name some. These schools still exist and most are still playing FB. As it has been said, things change. I am not uncomfortable with the idea of finding similar academic schools and finding a new way forward with guidelines and restrictions on such things as NIL, coaches salaries,etc. It would mean letting go of the idea of competing with the heavyweights but, imo, the requirements to do that have gotten out of hand and are possibly unsubstainable. Since this is fan forum of people who love and care about GT I would expect to be in the minority with my opinion obn this.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m on another board that is music related but has a lot of UGA fans on it. One member just posted that Kirby said at the touchdown club that he can’t outwork people anymore it’s about outspending people. Went on to say that they’ve been getting a “Georgia Discount”

Also have heard it rumored that their starters are getting paid $1M+/year. And if they are saying that’s a “discount”. I’m guessing USC and Texas are much higher than that.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
That depends on one's perspective. Over the years there have been a number of schools that have decided to go in a different direction than their peers....Chicago, Suwanee, the Ivies to name some. These schools still exist and most are still playing FB. As it has been said, things change. I am not uncomfortable with the idea of finding similar academic schools and finding a new way forward with guidelines and restrictions on such things as NIL, coaches salaries,etc. It would mean letting go of the idea of competing with the heavyweights but, imo, the requirements to do that have gotten out of hand and are possibly unsubstainable. Since this is fan forum of people who love and care about GT I would expect to be in the minority with my opinion obn this.
The problem is expenses are locked in at a much higher level for D1 Football in terms of coaching contracts, facility expenses, debt for many schools, etc. You would have to dramatically change the expense dynamics to play at a lower level. And has been mentioned by many, you will also get less in donations to athletics if you playing at a lower level. Not sure how to make the math work even if there was any interest in taking this type of approach.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Public discourse has become tribal arguments over memes instead of any discussions of significance. I don't doubt anyone's love of GT if because they want college football to be professional, nor if they want college athletics to be non-scholarship actual students playing against actual students. I think it is a shame that many people discount anything another person says if they don't agree 100% with every single statement that they make.

I am going to attend GT athletic events if GT becomes part of the P2 "pro" league. I am going to attend GT athletic events if GT drops down to an Ivy type league. I have preferences, but I will support GT athletics even if they aren't what I hope for them to be. I think I have proved that by attending home and away football games even through the former guy's regime.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
so, do folks give to NFL NIL collectives? if the new pro league for 18-22 year olds is all that, why do you have to give money to it on top of tickets, concessions, jerseys, swag, and everything else you spend?

I haven't watched an aggregate 60 minutes of NFL in the past 5 years. if this morphs completely into the new younger age pro league, I won't watch that either. No need for these kids to go to school and pretend that this has anything to do with college anymore. Well, except that helps to get the new league to dupe alums into funding its existence.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
so, do folks give to NFL NIL collectives? if the new pro league for 18-22 year olds is all that, why do you have to give money to it on top of tickets, concessions, jerseys, swag, and everything else you spend?

I haven't watched an aggregate 60 minutes of NFL in the past 5 years. if this morphs completely into the new younger age pro league, I won't watch that either. No need for these kids to go to school and pretend that this has anything to do with college anymore. Well, except that helps to get the new league to dupe alums into funding its existence.
A younger pro league is the XFL. No one watched that. The NFL kills all competition in ratings and money. Colleges can’t compete with them in any way!

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m on another board that is music related but has a lot of UGA fans on it. One member just posted that Kirby said at the touchdown club that he can’t outwork people anymore it’s about outspending people. Went on to say that they’ve been getting a “Georgia Discount”

Also have heard it rumored that their starters are getting paid $1M+/year. And if they are saying that’s a “discount”. I’m guessing USC and Texas are much higher than that.
I have heard the same thing about Kirby’s touchdown club speech. As long as NIL is the system, we are fighting an uphill battle.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I have heard the same thing about Kirby’s touchdown club speech. As long as NIL is the system, we are fighting an uphill battle.
Wouldn’t surprise me at all… If you were Kirby, wouldn’t you say the exact same thing? You’ve just won two national championships, so he’s basically saying “I’ve proven I can do my part, but the world is changing, and people are going to start stealing our resources. Give now if you want me to keep this up.”
NIL is 100% going to change college athletics, but I don’t see this as a data point… Rather a marketing / fundraising campaign

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn’t surprise me at all… If you were Kirby, wouldn’t you say the exact same thing? You’ve just won two national championships, so he’s basically saying “I’ve proven I can do my part, but the world is changing, and people are going to start stealing our resources. Give now if you want me to keep this up.”
NIL is 100% going to change college athletics, but I don’t see this as a data point… Rather a marketing / fundraising campaign
Already has changed CFB, for the worse. You’ve read forever how poorly pro athletes manage their money? Now that’s hit 18-20 year olds. It’s pushing into HS now. Not only will the game be ruined but many of the kids will, too. It’s too much too soon. Johnny Manziel syndrome.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Already has changed CFB, for the worse. You’ve read forever how poorly pro athletes manage their money? Now that’s hit 18-20 year olds. It’s pushing into HS now. Not only will the game be ruined but many of the kids will, too. It’s too much too soon. Johnny Manziel syndrome.
Geez dude… You act like they have drunk kids driving $140,000 sports cars 100 mph through downtown Athens or something…

Umm… oh… got it. :oops:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The tax man cometh and are they ready for that?
At some point they may also have to start paying taxes on their scholarship value if they become employees as some have championed.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The tax man cometh and are they ready for that?
At some point they may also have to start paying taxes on their scholarship value if they become employees as some have championed.
I recently read an article suggesting that if football and basketball players became employees it is likely the school charade ends for the majority of them as they would choose cash over scholarship.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I recently read an article suggesting that if football and basketball players became employees it is likely the school charade ends for the majority of them as they would choose cash over scholarship.
It wouldn’t have to be an either thing. There are other jobs at universities only available to students.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic recently published this article on the latest wrinkle with NIL.
It appears that some schools are returning to the pre-NFL-draft days when elite players could be expected to play for 4 years. But not for the traditional reason.

"Following an embarrassing 14-3 Cotton Bowl loss to Missouri, Ohio State donors went on a spending spree. With the help of two collectives, The Foundation and The 1870 Society, the program “re-signed” defensive linemen JT Tuimoloau, Jack Sawyer and Tyleik Williams, running back TreVeyon Henderson, receiver Emeka Egbuka, cornerback Denzel Burke and guard Donovan Jackson, all of whom were projected first- or second-day draft picks."

Who needs scholarships?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic recently published this article on the latest wrinkle with NIL.
It appears that some schools are returning to the pre-NFL-draft days when elite players could be expected to play for 4 years. But not for the traditional reason.

"Following an embarrassing 14-3 Cotton Bowl loss to Missouri, Ohio State donors went on a spending spree. With the help of two collectives, The Foundation and The 1870 Society, the program “re-signed” defensive linemen JT Tuimoloau, Jack Sawyer and Tyleik Williams, running back TreVeyon Henderson, receiver Emeka Egbuka, cornerback Denzel Burke and guard Donovan Jackson, all of whom were projected first- or second-day draft picks."

Who needs scholarships?
So now schools can afford to pay better than rookie contracts… next they’ll lobby for additional eligibility so they can hold on to them for five, maybe six years.
And yeah… scholarships are for suckers!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
“My opponent is raising a ton of money from big corporate donors and if you still want to have a voice in this game then you need to consider increasing your contributions to my campaign, and, remember, the other side wants to annihilate your way of life.”

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I just saw a scroll on ESPN concerning UVA and direct pay to Athletes. The state has passed a new law allowing state schools to pay direct.

See attached article. Looks like they are setting things up so they can sue the NCAA over NIL rules that the NCAA may establish. I believe UVA and University of Tenn. have already sued NCAA over a previous issue concerning recruitment using NIL.

Thoughts? Do we need a similar State law? I remember an article concerning the South Carolina Legislature working on a similar law with Dabo and Beamer pushing for passage.

Attachments

• Virginia law allows the state’s colleges and universities to directly pay athletes through NIL...pdf
    723 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: