Next DC

Evan33

Georgia Tech Fan
I read an app state forum and from what I can tell, everyone at app state loves Woody, and one fan blogged from a close GT source that it’s a high probability that we will get Woody! He claimed it’s been a done deal for about a month, now whether that’s true or not, who knows but it excites me that number one, they want to keep him and number two, they think he could be the next big P5 DC to turn into a future good head coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
YES I AM. Whne I say the past, I'm not talking about the last couple of years. Have you been paying attention the last 10 years? With the exception of, what, 3 or 4 years of Butker, and that's only in placekicking, our ST has STUNK. Punter was actually better than it's been in past years. Kick coverage has NEVER been good under CPJ. ST was bad in 2009 and 2011 when we scored a lot of points.
Year/OFEI/DFEI/STFEI/fbs Record
2009/2/51/44/10-3
2010/41/80/83/5-7
2011/16/61/100/7-5
2012/26/64/112/6-7
2013/38/51/22/5-6
2014/2/76/38/10-3
2015/87/87/32/2-9
2016/21/94/18/8-4
2017/23/66/125/4-6

Or, more simply:
Average FEI ranking/Losses per season
32.3/3
68.0/7
59.0/5
67.3/7
37.0/6
38.7/3
68.7/9
44.3/4
71.3/6

With the exception of one season, that's pretty damn good correlation.

Jmonty71

Banned
Roof is an excellent recruiter. Period. We can argue all day the merits of his defensive scheme, but Yomanser pretty much put paid to the notion that Roof couldn't recruit. And he wasn't good for just "one county" either. Chimedza, out of IMG in FL, is here because of Roof.

As for this statement: "If we get a DC that can motivate student athletes and generate some excitement, recruits will ring our door bell," all I can say is that would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it. Unless we make major changes within the structure of the GTAA, the new DC will be hampered by the same limitations the previous 3 had.
I guess my question is... What separates GT from a school like Duke? Duke makes their kids go to school (that I know of). I would think our program would be better. Not saying we dumb down the school and offer garbage classes. But, what does Duke, BC and UVA offer that we don't? Seems like that is where our recruiting competition is.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I guess my question is... What separates GT from a school like Duke? Duke makes their kids go to school (that I know of). I would think our program would be better. Not saying we dumb down the school and offer garbage classes. But, what does Duke, BC and UVA offer that we don't? Seems like that is where our recruiting competition is.
I mean, just speaking for UVa, just academically, there's a communications and anthropology degree.

slugboy

Staff member

Duke, BC, and UVA have more students in education and liberal arts majors. The #1 football major at Duke was Sociology a couple of years ago:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-for-2015-power-5-conference-football-players

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jmonty71

Banned
Ok??? Now here is a real mind blower. Why does GT just not add some curriculums and classes? Is there some ancient alien handshake keeping them from expanding the offering? Why not open a communication degree to go with the engineering? Don't we offer something to do with weather? Communication goes with that. Business. Psychology can go with bio medical engineering. Just saying.. They don't have to go and offer African Studies, bowling and basket weaving. But, put some sound classes that can improve the studies there already. Now...I am not a GT grad, so I may be talking some serious taboo here.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ok??? Now here is a real mind blower. Why does GT just not add some curriculums and classes? Is there some ancient alien handshake keeping them from expanding the offering? Why not open a communication degree to go with the engineering? Don't we offer something to do with weather? Communication goes with that. Business. Psychology can go with bio medical engineering. Just saying.. They don't have to go and offer African Studies, bowling and basket weaving. But, put some sound classes that can improve the studies there already. Now...I am not a GT grad, so I may be talking some serious taboo here.
That's a dead horse topic everyone here will agree with you on but won't happen.

LibertyTurns

Banned
23rd in the magical geek stat of FEI. Yay!!!!! 70th in scoring. You don't have to be a stat geek to understand the bottom line. Your company can have tremendous magical efficiency stats, but if you look in the bank account and you're losing money, you aint doing well. Forget the defense. Roof is gone. We'll see if we can do better there.
I see someone else on here runs a business. Show me the money!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Two very single reasons, GABOR and Ga Tech

Jmonty71

Banned
Two very single reasons, GABOR and Ga Tech
Ok.. Just read about Gabor. Mainly, because that was the first time I heard that name. Seems like a logical thing. However; you would think you miss out on multiple level type students. Say you have a student that wants to be a CDC disease person. They offer half of what is needed. Then, the student has to leave to get the rest of their education. Personally, I would go to a school that offers everything I need. Not partial.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Does anyone else besides me think we suck at hiring? No announcement means we got caught with our pants down again. At least we’re not as bad as UT, but this is the second significant hire in recent memory where we fired someone and didn’t have the replacement lined up ahead of time. We seriously need some folks that know how to run a business to infiltrate the GTAA.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Ok.. Just read about Gabor. Mainly, because that was the first time I heard that name. Seems like a logical thing. However; you would think you miss out on multiple level type students. Say you have a student that wants to be a CDC disease person. They offer half of what is needed. Then, the student has to leave to get the rest of their education. Personally, I would go to a school that offers everything I need. Not partial.

BOR is the Board of Regents which is charged with approving any new degree programs (among other things). The Ga BOR has never been any help to Tech which is why you see engineering majors at GA. There are numerous offerings Tech could pursue without compromise in its mission statement but after being battered by the BOR and internal opposition any new offerings have stagnated.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Doubt there would have been a "mutual" parting with Roof at the end of December, if we did not have his replacement secured.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
From my understanding we tried to add a major and was denied because UGA had it, but then UGA was accepted for an engineering major. I could be wrong though.